1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound Deadening Doors with RAAM Audio Products

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fletch97, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Feb 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    fletch97

fletch97 [OP] Professional Window Licker

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Just looking to share pictures and my experience of sound deadening my doors. I spoke to Mr. Marv and had ordered Hybrid Audio speakers, adapters and the RAAM sound deadening material. While speaking to Marv, we determined what was the best course of action for my listening needs. You may choose to add more or less sound deadening material, but I was just trying to make it sound a little better then the crappy stock stuff!

Removing the door panels is very easy and there are plenty of tutorials on how to do so. I disconnected all the harnesses, slid out the door handle, removed the stock speakers and removed the vapor barrier. Cutting off those plastic inserts that Marv talks about are the biggest pain but it's for the best. I also took the time to tear apart some of the wiring in the door, there is lots of clips and tons of electrical tape. I wanted to pull it apart to determine exactly how it was wire for the factory stuff, plus I wanted to clean it up and run it nicely. (You will see in my photo's below.) After completing that, I started to apply the BXT Mat to the outer door. (Note: I was warned to use gloves and chose not to. The Mat will cut up your hands!!) I started behind the speaker and worked my way out. Tapping on the outside of the door until I was satisfied. (Believe me, you will hear the difference!) I then did the speaker opening by covering it up and then slicing into it, folding the pieces inward. (This is documented on Marv's post.) I covered the remaining holes as you will see in the pics. Finally, I cut a piece of the Ensolite foam and did my best to cover the entire door. Again, cutting a hole for the speaker, poking a hole for the wire harness that feeds the windows and poking holes for the screws. (TIP: Leave the screws in the holes before covering with the foam. Then take a knife and cut around them. It's extremely hard to find the holes after covering! The bolts in the door help you find them easier!) Everything else is pretty straight forward. I utilized the stock wiring and hooked up as follows:

Front Left = Pink (+) & Purple (-)
    Front Right = Green (+) & Blue (-)
    Rear Left = Red (+) & White (-)
    Rear Right = Red (+) & White (-)

These were the colors I had in my 2013 truck, hopefully they are correct. I was told it doesn't matter, just as long as they are done the same. (But I am not an expert.)

This was the first time I ever did sound deadening before, it's not the prettiest job but it seems to work! The Hybrid speakers are amazing and blow away the stock ones. (Especially the highs!!) Marv was extremely helpful and is a pleasure to work with!

Feel free to ask questions, I will do my best to answer them.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    6.jpg
    6-1.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    14.jpg
    15.jpg
    19.jpg
    20.jpg
    21.jpg
    22.jpg
    25.jpg
    29.jpg
    32.jpg
    34.jpg
    35.jpg
    36.jpg
    37.jpg
    38.jpg
    39.jpg
    40.jpg
    41.jpg
    42.jpg
    43.jpg
    44.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    mach1man001 and sbates like this.
  2. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    jslum

jslum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    SoFL
    Nice job. Mine is on the way. Should be here tomorrow. Good tip about the screws.

3. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks!

Good Luck and feel free to PM me during the process if you have any questions.

4. Feb 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    That's by far the most pictures I've ever seen attached to one single post. Bravo sir.

CMD531_TRD likes this.
  5. Feb 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I just did the same kit from Rick at Raamaudio and it made a huge difference. Worth every penny.

6. Feb 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    DPCardoza

DPCardoza Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuba City
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Sport Long Bed
    How much of the material did you have to buy? I've seen posts where they say roughly 3 yards but was just curious. Looks like you did a pretty thorough job.

7. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    I bought this package...
    http://www.raamaudio.com/package-1-...s-ofensolite-iuo-peel-and-stick-41-625-sq-ft/

After doing the doors only, I have 3 sheets of the mat left over and at least 3 yards left of the foam. Although I plan on using that material for the back wall when I get my sub.

Be sure to mention Tacoma World when ordering and you will save $10 on your order.

8. Mar 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Ford Raptor (I'm a traitor)
    Hey Steve,

I was just trying to get some audio install tips before I tried to tackle mine. I just purchased all this (with the exception of headunit and alarm)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...b-dvd-headunit-door-speakers-amps-wiring.html

And now I am looking to install. I can do the sub install, but I have some questions about the component speakers. I was reading a couple threads and it sounds like some people are saying I should disconnect the tweeters altogether? Or do I need to re-wire the tweeters? Sorry, this is the first component set I have dealt with...

Thanks for any tips

9. Mar 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Well those speakers you bought have tweeters in them already, so I would go ahead and remove the stock tweeters. Take a look at some of my pictures, you can grab the speaker wires and pull them down so that you don't need to add additional wire. See, the stock wires go directly to the tweeter and then split to feed that stock 6x9. And since you can't use the wires that split off from the stock tweeter, you won't get sound, just pull it all out. I removed some of the electrical tape and was able to grab the stock wires from the wire loom and pull it into that 6x9 opening. And then you are good to go!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  10. Mar 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Quick note...
    The speakers you bought are component? Assuming so, you should be able to remove them from the 6 1/2" mid and place them into the stock tweeter location! They should and can be easily wired right off the 6 1/2" mid. If unsure, you may want to take some close-up pictures of the speakers and post them.

11. Mar 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    Here's what I'm working with...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I don't know what this is...

[​IMG]

And lastly... When I went to pick the speaker up my finger slipped and pushed into the cone, causing separation right here... Did I just blow my speaker?!?!

[​IMG]

12. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Interesting set of speakers, it doesn't look like the tweeter has separate wires that feed it. I'd be curious to tear those apart to see how it works. You may be able to pull the sticker off on the back of the magnet to see if there is a bolt to be removed, that's how mine came apart.

As far as the separation you pointed out, I'd hate to assume anything but I don't think that's a good thing. They may be shot now?!?!

I bought these Hybrid Audio speakers from Mr Marv and they are spectacular speakers!
    Got this model for the fronts - http://hybrid-audio.com/imagine/
    These for the backs - http://hybrid-audio.com/mirus/

13. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Oh...just noticed in the one picture that there are wires running to the tweeter. I bet if you pull that sticker off, you could remove the tweeter.

The only concern now is whether the speaker is blown or not. What is the material made of?

14. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    Feels like cardboard... I'm sure it will be fine though. Do you know what that adapter is that I posted in my 3rd picture?

15. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    That adapter looks like a crossover to me, do you have model number on those speakers?

Not sure that rip is going to be fine, any air that blows through that hole kills your bass and sound! I am thinking you might try some glue but I am not sure it will hold up to the bass.

16. Mar 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    DPCardoza

Member:
    Yuba City
    Vehicle:
    I'm completely ignorant about stereo upgrades. If i just want to upgrade speakers for better quality would these be a Descent speaker? I am trying to avoid the cost and work of an amp and sub. I just have no desire to put forth that amount of money, time and time.

17. Mar 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Yes!! I currently have them installed without an amp or a sub and they sound amazing! I do believe the sound deadening does help though, so you may want to look into that in addition to new speakers.

18. Mar 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    DPCardoza

Member:
    Yuba City
    Vehicle:
    I've done the fronts and hope to do the rear in the next couple of weeks. I'm on a budget so I've just been picking away it. New HU then sound deadened the fronts. That made a huge difference.

19. Mar 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    use any type of silicone glue to glue the speaker back.

20. Mar 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    Used some super glue and it worked like a champ!

Products Discussed in

To Top