Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

best reasonably priced 5-ch amp

Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
jslum is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
best reasonably priced 5-ch amp

So I was pretty much decided on an alpine mrx-v70 but then ran across quite a few reviews where after a month it just died. I had an alpine mono amp in my last trucm and it worked great. I dont believe the mrx-v70 is mosfet but there is an mrx-v60 that is. Any suggestions on either a different brand or different model that may be better?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
blakeclark75 is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
blakeclark75's Tacoma Gallery
Well it's not quite a 5-channel, but i went with a JL Audio 3-channel. It will run the front and a sub, and I think most people would agree running the rear speakers off the headunit, if at all, is suffice. It is also has a very small footprint.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136XD50...-3.html?tp=115
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Jason, we're both in the same predicament. Last time I was in this position I ended up with a JL HD 900/5. It's been phenominal! I even flooded the truck, removed the amp to dry for a week, and the darn thing still worked! Great power, super small geometry, incredible sound....just not cheap!

What type of space do you have to give up? Are you a double cab, access cab, or regular cab?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm really liking the look of the Kenwood Excellon 5 channel. I know the Kenwood XR-5S was quite good but this one seems to be the same price with MORE power on the subwoofer channel. That's appealing in my book!
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XR90...15#details-tab
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Sounds Gooooood

This JBL Amp looks pretty good too. The controls are on the top too for easy access.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTO5...5#overview-tab
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post

What type of space do you have to give up? Are you a double cab, access cab, or regular cab?
Doublecab. Going to run a single 10, I called alpine and they said the only problems were with the mrx-v60 not the v70 and that the problems arose from using cheap wire that was not 100% copper. Went to bestbuy on a whim (that place is a ghost town and looks to soon be going the way of circuit city) and they had an alpine mrx-v70 on clearance for $229. Picked it up and got a 2 year warranty just in case.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
Sounds Gooooood

Nice! Did the MRX-V70 come with a birth sheet? If so, what kind of power?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Nice! Did the MRX-V70 come with a birth sheet? If so, what kind of power?
Yeah it did but it was only tested at 2 ohm 92w per channel and 364w sub channel. At 2 ohm its rated 90w per channel and 350w sub channel.
Now I just have to install raammat, install mids and highs, get a box and new sub, build an amp rack, and make a decision on a HU and order it
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Beach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to beholdBeach Taco is a splendid one to behold

Beach Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslum View Post
Doublecab. Going to run a single 10, I called alpine and they said the only problems were with the mrx-v60 not the v70 and that the problems arose from using cheap wire that was not 100% copper. Went to bestbuy on a whim (that place is a ghost town and looks to soon be going the way of circuit city) and they had an alpine mrx-v70 on clearance for $229. Picked it up and got a 2 year warranty just in case.
great deal at the ghosttown. should be good, I run the v60 and it does good for me.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
polox40 is on a distinguished road
polox40's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post4221567

I got the inffinty kappa 5 hides nice in the cubby under the seat pounds enough for me, got it for 300$ sonic electronix