1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finished my stereo yay...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sparks772, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Feb 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    sparks772

sparks772 [OP] Member

Member:
    My system was done in steps, due to the cost. However it didn't take me long to realize it was better that i did it that way as it allowed me to see/hear the differences with each step. So the way I'll try to format this is listing what i did with the step, my responses to each and i'll try to also put a price along with that step. If you can manage to finish this thread which i am betting will be long there will be some pictures... if i can figure out how to post them of my most current and final step... for the time being.

1. Decided to upgrade headunit to Kenwood DDX-419 from stock.
    1a. Was really liking the idea of the hands free as the Ca. law had just passed recently, also the better sound... was an ok unit I got tired of the USB being in front blah blah but good upgrade from stock unit.
    cost was 600ish from local stereo shop including dash kit, wiring kit, and installation.
    -Feb or March 2012

2. Finally decided to upgrade door speakers I had done some research and found that these had pretty good reviews. So I went with the Alpine type R's 6.5 components in front / 6.5 coaxials in rear.
    2a. Sounded good after install, thought they'd be better but after about a month and some tuning w/ equalizer and such sounded really good.
    Cost was another 600ish at a different local stereo shop, with the craptastic baffles.
    -Late Dec 2012

3. This was the turning point in my build. I called Mr. Marv. I had decided I wanted a sub-after reading a lot of threads here. So after a good long conversation w/ Marv I decided on what i wanted for the most part. Ordered an enclosure for an Arc 10", as well as speaker baffles all the way around.
    Cost was around 200
    -Early Jan 2013

4. After reading threads and a good long talk w/ Marv I placed my order for the basic Raamaudio package. Next day it showed up, time to get to work.
    4a. I posted in someone elses thread a little bit about it, and got hit up about my experience. Do the tap/knock test. I say knock cause it just starts hurting your one knuckle constantly tapping better to just use your whole hand.... or even better the heel of your palm. Also, wear GLOVES that foil can cut the sh** out of your hands. For me i had a screwdriver with a rounded plastic handle, works awesome for getting it into those grooves and corners, i did only the 4 doors, inside and out, leaving me with not quite half for the rear wall... BUT this was probably the biggest upgrade to my growing system yet. The sound was just completley different, I could feel the mids much better than before (no sub yet) just left me with my jaw dropped.
    Cost 175ish with shipping
    -Mid Jan 2013

5. Ok decided to upgrade my headunit.... front USB was pissin me off, and the userinterface wasn't that great. Went with the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS.
    5a. The new metra textured black dash kit is nice i like it. Sounded different but different/good for me. On the install, make sure you cheat the mounting bolts to get the HU "up" as much as you can so it will swing open and clear the kit... i had to take it out and re do it.... i also ran the RCA's and amp power / remote cable at this time as well.
    Cost 540 w/ shipping and 3yr warranty from sonicelectronix
    -2-18-13

Ok, so this last Saturday I got my sub and amp, oh yeah i have already recieved the enclosure and baffles, the amp was delaying me as i wasn't sure what i wanted, then tuns out the price needed me to wait a while longer as well. But I took pictures of all of em and new head unit.
    Amp- Arc Audio XDI-805
    Sub -Arc 10"

Now to see if i can post these pics.
    20130223_101237.jpg

20130223_170338.jpg

20130223_183307.jpg

20130223_090439.jpg

20130223_170318.jpg

wow, ok so i had a problem w/ the initial install of enclosure. I had installed 2 layers of the matte material on both concave areas. I had to rip out the 2 layers on the lower concave area to get the enclosure to fit really snug against the child restraint hooks. It was hitting the back of my rear seat. After that wowza. Showed a couple guys from work how it sounded today after work. Both said it was awesome, one of them has 2 12's in the back of his cherokee, the other has a single 12 in a ginormous box sitting on top of his back seat. One thing to note, is some Rap songs that have a really low continuous tone, it seems i'm not getting the full effect but i still have to tune some more. But for those 2 guys to say mine was better made me real happy that i made the decision to consult / work with Marv, the guy is a fountain of information and a pleasure to do business with.

thanks guys

2. Feb 25, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    sparks772

sparks772 [OP] Member

Member:
    some more pics that i had

20130223_183228.jpg

20130223_101539.jpg

20130223_101524.jpg

20130223_170338[1].jpg

sorry looks like i got 2 of the same pic not sure how to get rid of it

20130223_183228[1].jpg

3. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    fletch97

fletch97 Professional Window Licker

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Nice job!!

So you only used the Matt in the concave sections of the back wall?

Did you put the ensolite foam over that?

I am waiting on Marv to build my box and I am looking at doing the same thing. Also looking to carpet the entire back area, hoping I will have enough room with the box to fold the back seat back up!?!?

4. Mar 1, 2013 at 3:17 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Nice work.

Question, how many cubes is your sub box?

5. Mar 1, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    sparks772

sparks772 [OP] Member

Member:
    Yes matte only in concave areas, however where the box is i did not put any mat in the lower part it is a very tight fit and needs to suit right AGAINST the child restraint hooks for proper fit or sub will hit seat plastic on really bass-y songs.

I'd have to ask Marv about the cubic inches, he pretty much makes his includes and baffles based on the intended speaker.

Products Discussed in

To Top