Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

which sub to go with

Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
jslum is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
which sub to go with

trying to decide on which sub to go with in my 2013 double cab, Its going to be powered by an alpine mrx-v70 amp 250 rms at 4 ohm and 350 rms at 2 ohm going to run a small sealed box somewhere around .65 cu ft, looking at 10" subs and want to stay under $200 for the sub, would love to do a 12" but the ones that will fit my application which all seem to be shallow mount arent rated to hit as low or at the same db as some of the 10" I'm looking at, looking at rockford fosgate and jl but am open to other companies and not really wanting to go with jl as I have heard some stories about their quality
Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
JL 10w1 :thumbup:
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
That is one of the subs I was looking at, also looking at arc 10 but have never heard any of these in a tacoma and none of the local audio shops have them on a setup where i can hear a comparison and the difference not be based on box size, or headunit/amp combo
Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Arc is just a power thirsty woofer that will hit hard but lacks quality imo. If you want major boom for your buck and aren't concerned with actual quality and clarity and you have a nice big amp, go with arc. If you want power efficient, high quality sound but it may not hit as hard as arc, but will sound better and is easier on your vehicles electrical, and has known quality, get the JL. Trust
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Arc is just a power thirsty woofer that will hit hard but lacks quality imo. If you want major boom for your buck and aren't concerned with actual quality and clarity and you have a nice big amp, go with arc. If you want power efficient, high quality sound but it may not hit as hard as arc, but will sound better and is easier on your vehicles electrical, and has known quality, get the JL. Trust
From all that I have read this isn't totally true. The arc10 has been HIGHLY praised by many audiophiles on many sites as a very nice SQ sub. Mr. Marv even stated that 2 arc10's could be easily powered by a 500w amp. He prefers this sub over many for the tacomas. Again, this is just from my research and I've done tons of it over the past couple of weeks. I'm a huge JL lover as well but I think I'm going to give arc a shot this time.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
I can only speak from personal experience, but I love how my Alpine Type-R sounds. Love the 8s I got installed and love how the 10s sound. I find it to be precise sounding bass which is very deep when it needs to be.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
I went and heard a tw5 13 inch today and now I'm considering that route but I still really am not sure. I was told the wx w0 and w1 jl subs are made in china and all the rest are made here. anyone have any knowledge on this?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
I can only speak from personal experience, but I love how my Alpine Type-R sounds. Love the 8s I got installed and love how the 10s sound. I find it to be precise sounding bass which is very deep when it needs to be.
Type R shallows?? How many 8's do you have? Pics?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
just saw jl audio is making a tw3 10" version of the tw5, they are local to me so I'm going to try to get down there and talk with them about it but it looks like it requires the same airspace as the tw5......
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
JL is good stuff! I've had a type r 12 (not shallow) for a couple years and it still hits pretty good but i've been wanting to go to a full jl system for a while
Old 03-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Camjowns is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
Camjowns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslum View Post
just saw jl audio is making a tw3 10" version of the tw5, they are local to me so I'm going to try to get down there and talk with them about it but it looks like it requires the same airspace as the tw5......
Supposedly they're starting shipping on them within the next 2 weeks? They are also doing a 12" in the TW3 but another 1-2 months shipping from now. I heard a pair of tw5v2's in a sound room and was rather impressed. Most likely the route I will take come summertime.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I really like my type-r 12 shallow, fits behind the seats of my DC and I can still move them up/down, keep the plastics on.. Good bass output.

I like JL's but I feel you are paying for the name now as there is a lot of stuff out there that sounds just as good for less. JL's are great, but not worth $$$ IMO.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I really like my type-r 12 shallow, fits behind the seats of my DC and I can still move them up/down, keep the plastics on.. Good bass output.

I like JL's but I feel you are paying for the name now as there is a lot of stuff out there that sounds just as good for less. JL's are great, but not worth $$$ IMO.
My Type-R's were nice but they were just too... Punchy. I've yet to hear the shallow R's so I cannot comment on them, I imagine they are the similar. I like a very smooth yet low/deep bass. Then again I am also extremely picky about my speaker selection. Everyone's different though!

As far as component speakers, I'm currently running those alpines and they SCREAM. Love em, but I think they're old type-r components were better.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
dicenrice is on a distinguished road
Name: Joshua
dicenrice's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to dicenrice
Rockford T-1 i personally own the 12" version and have yet to be out pounded buy any one. Buddy owns the 10" version... Lets just say his just out sounded a 18" kicker full sound system in a Tahoe buddys car is a 88 celica alltrac lol best what the #### looks all day... But it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. My motto so long as it sounds good feells good is good
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
precoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: corey
precoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2 i have 2 of them behind my backseat
Old 03-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #16

I've heard the Polk MM1240's are a good option as well. I've not personally heard a set of them though..
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
i'm running the JL Stealth box with 2 x W1's for a double cab. intense bass. I am gonna take them ou and give those shallow Kickers a go. Just to try em out to compare. Up front i'm running the old Alpine Type X wood/ paper cone Components. they be old but man i love the sound