Notices

Radio works but NO sound

Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Chris
tcma07 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
tcma07's Tacoma Gallery
Radio works but NO sound

A couple days ago my radio just cut out the sound that is the unit is still on and acts like its working but is not producing any sound. Checked both radio fuses under hood and checked all wires to the speakers all is good. Does anybody know whats going on? Its a 2007 access cab with a Valor double din.
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Is this a JBL system that's still in use other than the new head unit? If so, maybe the JBL amp went out.

Are there any amp in the truck for the speakers? If so, check the power at the amp.

If neither of the above, its only 1 of 2 things... either one of your speakers has a terminal touching ground and putting the radio into a protect mode, or your radio just died on you.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Is this a JBL system that's still in use other than the new head unit? If so, maybe the JBL amp went out.

Are there any amp in the truck for the speakers? If so, check the power at the amp.

If neither of the above, its only 1 of 2 things... either one of your speakers has a terminal touching ground and putting the radio into a protect mode, or your radio just died on you.
this. is it just the radio or cdís as well? if itís just the radio and cd and work, than it maybe the antenna plug. but most likely what proforce said.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
ROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: EOD Tech
Name: Jake
ROGU3 PR3DATOR's Tacoma Gallery
I am interested to see how this turns out. Please let us know if you find a fix OP. I have had this issue itermitantly with my pioneer head unit but a simple reset of the head unit usually fixed it. I am assuming because it resent the power on signal to the JBL amp. But I was informed that after the battery in my truck died, that this fix no longer works. I have not, and will not for a few months, have an opportunity to look into it so I am afraid I cant be much help, but I am curious about what it could be. So far it looks like maybe the JBL amp.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Chris
tcma07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post

It's a non JBL so it's not an amp issue and I don't have an aftermarket amp either. I'm hoping its the speaker wires because I took the door panels off a couple days before this all happened and it's not the radio because I tried two others both with no luck.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Chris
tcma07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
this. is it just the radio or cdís as well? if itís just the radio and cd and work, than it maybe the antenna plug. but most likely what proforce said.
It's radio, CDs and AUX. I checked the antenna wire it was still all the way in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGU3 PR3DATOR View Post
I am interested to see how this turns out. Please let us know if you find a fix OP. I have had this issue itermitantly with my pioneer head unit but a simple reset of the head unit usually fixed it. I am assuming because it resent the power on signal to the JBL amp. But I was informed that after the battery in my truck died, that this fix no longer works. I have not, and will not for a few months, have an opportunity to look into it so I am afraid I cant be much help, but I am curious about what it could be. So far it looks like maybe the JBL amp.
Yeah it worked for about a couple mins this morning but went out as I was driving so I'm assuming its a wire grounding out somewhere.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
If that's the case, then its either a grounded speaker wire which is nothing to worry about, it won't hurt your radio or speakers in any way, but it won't work again until its found.

The only other possibility is the actual radio ground itself. Most radios will work without a ground connected. How, I have no idea, BUT, I have seen radios do some really really really weird and unexplainable things when they have a bad or no ground. This could easily explain it.

I'd start by checking radio ground, 12v, and acc. If all three are perfect, check the wiring in the doors you removed. Look for pinched or frayed wires, and also look at the back of the speakers (hard to do without taking them out) and see if one of the voice coils is touching the edge of the metal door.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Chris
tcma07's Tacoma Gallery
Ok guys i fixed it earlier today my drivers side tweeter went out unplugged it and now everything works fine now i guess ill get two new tweeters this weekend thanks for all of your input i was about to take the dash apart