When I first got my truck I immediately started to install my components from my old truck (ranger). I was still using a 6 year old head unit and my old ipod touch.
I installed some CDT components in the doors and coaxials in the back.
I designed and built a sub box to hold my Sound Splinter RL-P 12 that would fit between the rear jump seats in the back.
I never liked this box because it made it very difficult to get anything from one side of the cab to the other. The other more pressing issue was the fact that my driver side seat was almost completely dead. Over the years the seat had lost all of its support. I began playing with the idea of getting bucket seats and building a sub box/console to go in between them.
Once I located some leather buckets from an RSX I began designing a new box. I quickly realized that a 12" sub was just not practical in my truck. I really didnt need something that big. I sold the SS RL-P 12 and got an MMATS Pro Audio 10. This sub could still handle the 700+ watts I was going to throw at it.
I designed the new box in Rhino 3d. This helped me figure out what angles I would need to cut and the amount of material I would need. As an added bonus it would calculate the internal air volume.
I decided to go with 1/2" birch plywood instead of MDF because it was lighter and the box did not need to be very big. I began work, cutting everything by hand (this was before I had access to a CNC router).
I sealed the box with polyurethane and then painted it with a rustoleum textured paint that is so close to the stock oak plastic color you cannot tell.
I ended up insetting the sub 1.5" so that it would clear the seat on full excursion. This also gave the box more support structure since it now had a double baffle. (putting a 35lb sub into an inset hole and lining up all of the mounting holes at the same time is no easy task BTW)
Once I had the sub in the box I made a mount at the front that attaches to the shifter console screws. I mounted the back to the rearmost seat mounts using threaded inserts. I made an armrest pad from 2" thick foam, a piece of 1/2" plywood, and some clearance fake leather from Joann's.
I mounted my Kenwood 760W amp on the back and ran all of the cabling under the carpet.
I decided it was time for a new head unit. After some researching I decided to get a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. This head unit does auto time alignment and EQ. It does much more than this but I wont get into it here. At the same time I got an iPhone 4s and I wanted a way to dock my phone and still be able to use it while driving. I designed a mount in Rhino 3d that would attached where the passenger airbag switch is located.
This mount was then 3d printed on a makerbot replicator. You can download and print the mount yourself here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40147
I then got an iPhone 5 so I needed a new mount
You can download it here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40254
Overall I am pretty satisfied with this setup. I may end up designing a ported box in the future that will fit in the same spot.
Let me know what you think!