Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sirius install

Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
Sirius install

I am installing a Sirius unit to piggyback my alpine hu, what is the best power source to loop onto? I have been experimenting and so far most of my leads have not had a high enough amperage. Anyone help a brother out?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

no one?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I personally refuse to 'tap' into my stock wiring system.. I highly suggest a bluesea fuse block to run your accessories. You'll need to setup a relay as well but its a lot better then tapping into the stock wires.

Otherwise the cig lighter might be good to use. Do you need constant 12v of power or something that turns off/on with the truck? how many amps do you need?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
When I hard wired my Sirius radio, I used an aux. cigarette lighter adapter that I got a Radio Shack.

It had a short "pig tail" (bare wires) and I powered it by using an "add a fuse" and extended some wire from the fuse box to behind the glove box and spliced in the cigarette lighter. Then I plugged in the power cable that came with my Sirius radio into the cigarette lighter and taped it up with electrical tape so they would not come apart. I then tucked all the wires into the dash behind the glove box and secured them with zip ties.

Sirius and XM both sell "hard wire kits" and I tried one of those first, but the voltage converter box crapped out on me after a few months, so I went with the cigarette lighter adapter the second time. It's been going strong for 3 years and counting.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Blinking Car Mod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I personally refuse to 'tap' into my stock wiring system.. I highly suggest a bluesea fuse block to run your accessories. You'll need to setup a relay as well but its a lot better then tapping into the stock wires.

Otherwise the cig lighter might be good to use. Do you need constant 12v of power or something that turns off/on with the truck? how many amps do you need?
Haven't found out how many amps yet, still looking. Been planning on running a fuse block but I have been too lazy. Will have to get one to install this weekend. After all I have to install this thing after a year of the box sitting in my garage.

My new job dictates how much I drive so I will need satellite radio ASAP. Thanks for the advice.