Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

InLine Fuse and Ground Locations

Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Professional Window Licker
fletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
fletch97's Tacoma Gallery
InLine Fuse and Ground Locations

I'll will be wiring up an amp and sub shortly, waiting for Mr Marv to build the box. In the meantime, I'd like to get some feedback on where I can mount the inline fuse under the hood? I poked around and didn't see a real good location to screw it down to. I'd like to hear what others have done and would love to see pictures.

I also will need advice on where I can ground my amp in the rear? I have a double cab and the amp will be mounted next to the sub in the rear compartment. (I will be pulling out all the plastic back there.) Based on other pictures I've seen, it should be easy to find some metal back there. Just curious to hear and see what others have done? I am sure there are better ground locations than others.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
This is how I mounted everything in the back of my 2011 DC

And here is my circuit breaker. I put a little piece of rubber down so it wouldn't leak water. Power washed under my hood a few times, no leaks or issues.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
fletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to behold

Where did you actually ground the amp though? (I can't see in the pic.)

Did you make that bracket for your inline fuse? I have those two open bolt holes but nothing there in my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
This is how I mounted everything in the back of my 2011 DC

And here is my circuit breaker. I put a little piece of rubber down so it wouldn't leak water. Power washed under my hood a few times, no leaks or issues.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #4

Anyone else?....would love to see and hear other suggestions!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #5

Friday Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch97 View Post
Anyone else?....would love to see and hear other suggestions!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Highspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to behold

Highspeed's Tacoma Gallery
There are several ways to ground amps. If you are only using one amp you might consider grounding it to an existing factory bolt like the one that holds the seats down. Make sure you have bare metal, you'll need to grind away any paint first.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #7

Yea, I was thinking that. I just wasn't sure if there was a specific place people used, perhaps a spot or bolt that is easy to access.

I have yet to tear the back apart, I am sure I will find something. I was just hoping to do my homework prior to assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeed View Post
There are several ways to ground amps. If you are only using one amp you might consider grounding it to an existing factory bolt like the one that holds the seats down. Make sure you have bare metal, you'll need to grind away any paint first.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Highspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to behold

Highspeed's Tacoma Gallery
If you are running multiple grounds some people drill a hole, bolt a large gauge cable with a ring terminal and run it to a ground distribution block.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #9

That makes sense, but I am only doing a single (small) amp back there.

Quote:
If you are running multiple grounds some people drill a hole, bolt a large gauge cable with a ring terminal and run it to a ground distribution block.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did this.. sanded all the paint used the bold and it works great.

And I made the bracket for the Fuse holder, but the circuit breaker is mounted to the lid of the fuse box and that's what I use for my power wire.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #11

I just wanted to share a few pictures of what I did for the InLine fuse. I found an outdoor outlet cover at Lowe's, mounted the fuse holder to it, then mounted that to the engine compartment utilizing those existing bolt holes. (Bolt holes weren't being used, so it worked out.) Since the outlet cover was gray, I just hit it with some flat black before mounting.

I am still waiting on the sub box to be built, once I get that and install it, I will take some pictures of where I mounted the amp ground wire.

Attached Thumbnails
InLine Fuse and Ground Locations-inline-fuse-1.jpg   InLine Fuse and Ground Locations-inline-fuse-2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #12

As I promised, I've finally gotten my box and finished the install a few days ago. Here are a few pictures of where I grounded the amp.....

Attached Thumbnails
InLine Fuse and Ground Locations-box-5.jpg   InLine Fuse and Ground Locations-box-6.jpg   InLine Fuse and Ground Locations-box-7.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #13

FYI.....there will be more pictures of the box and installation under this thread.....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-products.html