Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Use an old CB?

Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Use an old CB?

I was given an old cb radio by a relative, and I was wondering if it would be worth trying to use? It is an old Cobra, but I dont know the model. I would buy a quality antenna be have someone tune everything, but the unit IS old and doesn't look to have been the top of the line back in its day either. I will only be using it on wheeling trips, but moab will have some times where range is needed. Should I even waste time and money on this unit?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I have a CB so old, it has only 23 channels... so I added some with crystals! I am talking the 1970's. It is a Browning... small and high quality... still works (I think)...
Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Cobra is owned by Uniden, and has been around for a very long time and have always made very good radios.
If you have something like a 148GTL, that was "the" radio to have back in the 80s.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Looks like a TRC-247, will have to do some research...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Did you mean a TRC-427? If so I believe those were built on the same chassis as the Cobra 25. Might be an alright radio. You are always taking a chance on an older radio like that though. But if it was free may as well give it a go. You will have everything in place for your setup. If the radio doesn't work out just swap in a different one and re-tune the antenna. I would like to see this thing, I love old CB's!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Did you mean a TRC-427? If so I believe those were built on the same chassis as the Cobra 25. Might be an alright radio. You are always taking a chance on an older radio like that though. But if it was free may as well give it a go. You will have everything in place for your setup. If the radio doesn't work out just swap in a different one and re-tune the antenna. I would like to see this thing, I love old CB's!
It is the 427! I will take some pics when I get a chance and report the functionality after the install. Antenna suggestions?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
3', 4', or 5' Firestick with spring.
With a Relentless hood mount

And a Firewire cable.
I got an old CB for free and all I need is the Firestick.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had much luck with Firestiks. The choice is yours though. I would suggest a Little Wilson or Wilson 1ooo. They are super easy to install and out of the 3 Wilsons I've had I only had to make one minor adjustment to tune one of them. They are easy to take off when you don't need it also.