1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What makes a good speaker?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dtopgun515, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mar 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    So i'm looking to add a component set to the front doors and probably some sort of midbass speaker to the rear doors. I'm sure this question has been answered at some point but I couldn't find a thread based on my search input. Question is what makes a good speaker? There are component sets anywhere from $50 all the way up to $4000 maybe more! I'm not trying to break the bank but I like a clean crisp sound. What should I look for in the makeup of a speaker I guess is my question so that I know i'm getting a good speaker. I'm not an audio guru but following threads posted by other members once I have all the parts that I want for a system I plan to install the system myself so I will be running new wire and connecting them to an amp.

Thanks,
    For traffic purposes...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Mar 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Oops

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. Mar 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    dtopgun515

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    Thanks for the recommendation, but the question is what makes the hifonics you recommend better than say a set of kenwood speakers for instance?

4. Mar 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    What's a good speaker? Listen to them and if you like them, buy them. Everyone's listening preference is different. So if like the sound of them then buy them.

5. Mar 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    dtopgun515

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    Its not possible to listen to all of them and you can get a way better deal online than going into a store and buying some. Obviously I can read reviews and see what people are saying about them as well. I'm just trying to figure out if there are certian parts to a speaker that would make them better than others. Speaker composition, surround material type, sesitivity, frequency response, etc. I know its not an easy quesiton to answer just looking for a little direction while in my search.

6. Mar 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Go to your local car audio store listen to some and if you like them buy them online. I like hard metal dome tweeters like titanium where others prefer soft dome like silk. It's all listening preference.

7. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    dtopgun515

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    You have alot of speakers in your truck! What is your four channel amp hooked to and what are you running off of the head unit? I assume your other amp is strictly for the subs?

8. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
  9. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    The 4 channel is running two sets of JL Audio ZR components front and rear and another set of ZR tweeters in the rear. The other amp is a mono running the two 13TW5's. Nothing is ran off the headunit. Most people suggest focusing on the front for front sound staging like in a concert and running the rear off the headunit or leaving them out completely. I choose to run the rear and run components on the rear. My cab is smaller then a gen2 so its like having all the speakers up front and close to me anyways.

10. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    dtopgun515

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    Thanks I'll read this and see if it helps me.

11. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    Never mind. Sorry to waste your time. Post removed.

12. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    dtopgun515

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    So on the four channel is power run from the amp to a crossover in each door and back pannel and the crossover decides how much power each speaker gets? I ask because I know that typically the midrange speaker can handle more watts than a tweeter can. Like I said before i'm not an audio guru at all so i'm just trying to figure some things out. I have to purchase an amp at some point and I was planning on doing what you mentioned above and just running the rear speakers off of the headunit but if I can run the front components and rear speakers all off an amp I'd probably go that route instead.

No time wasted! i'm on the site anyways!

13. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Yes I am running 150watts to each of the 4 components and the crossover filters the frequency.

14. Mar 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    Bullfrog

Bullfrog "I think I know more than I do."

Member:
    First Name:
    McLaren
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 V6 4x Limited Ugly Canadian Green.
    Accessory Box with CB attached. Alpine Type S front and back. LineX. Bedline SKidplates. In progress: Bilstein 5100s with BFG mudterrains 33x10.5 A/C compressor to Onboard Air compressor mod.
    Crutchfield get them there. Alpine Type S speakers sound fantastic in my truck. I am very picky about sound and I'm impressed for how much I paid (150) for 4. You Defiantly need the audio reflective insulation.

15. Mar 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    Well, stupid me should learn to read better. I guess having played with car audio stuff for 20 years (as I have) doesn't give me a feel for what's what. But like I said, don't listen to me. Good luck.

16. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Like others have already said, its ultimately up to what you think sounds best. Generally the more expensive speakers will sound better, but not all the time. I know you're looking for X is better than Y when it comes to speakers, but that isn't always the case. However, there are some things which make a definite difference though. The materials used can have a dramatic impact on the sound.

For the woofer, there are lots of materials used. You want to look for materials that are rigid and will not flex as much. Distortion occurs when the cone flexes. Woofer cones are made out of everything from everyday materials like paper and aluminum to more complicated things like polypropylene and kevlar. Here's a list of nearly all the materials used to build speakers. But remember, its whatever sounds best to you.

You'll likely end up with tweeters made of either silk or metal (aluminum, titanium, etc). Either one is great as a material. Some people love one and hate the other, while others don't have a preference.

While you're researching online, keep in mind that some of high-end brands have similar specs (i.e. frequency, wattage, responsiveness, etc.) as some of the low-end brands. So don't just go online and look for good specs and a low price. For instance, the best set of component speakers I've heard were made by Hertz. The Hertz HSK165 components have a slightly narrower frequency range than the Sony XS-GTX1622S components. I don't know an exact price for the Hertz, but they're probably in the $500-$600 range and could be more. Whereas the Sonys will set you back $120. The Hertz speakers will likely sound much better to you even with a slightly narrower frequency range. That's why listening to speakers is so important.

I always tell people to just go to several local car audio stores and skip looking at speakers online. This will give you a better idea of which brands your ears like better. Speaker manufacturers tend to have a similar sound from their speakers, but not always. So if you like a set of Alpines, for instance, don't assume that you'll like every Alpine speaker.

You'll probably want to do a bit of online research to make sure the speakers you're thinking of buying have good reviews from other people. You don't want to end up with speakers that are known to give out after a year. From there you can narrow it down to perhaps 2 or 3 sets of speakers. Then go back to the store to listen again and then buy your favorite.

When you go to the stores, make sure to take your iPod or some CDs so you can demo music that you're already familiar with. That way you aren't forced to listen to the radio or whatever Top 40 song the store has on hand.

Good luck with finding some speakers and keep us updated when you buy them!

17. Mar 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM
    dtopgun515

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    I believe I am going to go with the Polk Audio DXi6500 6-1/2" component speaker set. Haven't made a purchase yet but have always heard good things about them in the past an here lately on the forum. I used to have a pretty nice set of mb quart speakers so I was leaning that way as well but I believe ultimately I'm goin to give the Polks a shot.

18. Mar 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    meantaco

meantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner. Gone,but not forgotten.
    Retrofit,bull bar,hellas and color matched grill.
    Jbl ms-62c seems like a bunch of diymobileaudio members like them a lot. You should check the reviews on that forum.

19. Mar 27, 2013 at 2:14 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you heard them? I hated them. A very directional speaker that the tweeter cant be mounted in the stock location. Only buy a speaker you have heard prior to purchase. I have had multiple multi thousand dollar systems and that is my best advice. It is the same advice you will get from anyone with any experience. Other people's opinions are worthless. For example... I think anyone who would buy a Polk car speaker is on crack. They sound terrible from the cheapest to the most expensive (speakers that cost less sound better at any of their price points) and especially so in our truck's factory location. All current MB Quarts suck too. They produce speakers that are a pale shadow of what they used to make. Please go listen to Focal, and not the garbage polyglass and low end stuff. Not everyone likes speakers that detailed because it shows flaws in the source material but you owe yourself a demo.

NEVER BUY BASED OFF OF REVIEWS. I REPEAT... NEVER BUY BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  20. Mar 27, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    dtopgun515

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    Already bought the Polk's...guess i'm on crack:notsure: They are sitting in one of my empty bedrooms at the house. Trying to decide which HU to get and what 5 channel amp to get now. Looking at the MB Quart ONX4.80/500, Alpine V70, or the Kenwood X700-5. Makes me wonder about the MB Quart amp now if you are saying their speakers are now crap. Thats the second time i've heard that about their speakers here recently though. I definatley didn't think the old ones I had were crap, but I bought those in like 97 or 98 probably. Think i'm leaning towards the Kenwood amp though, I seem to be able to get the best price on it and it will push my whole system fine so it seems.

Products Discussed in

To Top