Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Axxess ASWC

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
PVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: Enforcement Division
Name: Paul
PVT Pablo's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry guys haven't looked at this thread since I installed the Pioneer 5500. As of today though, all the equipment is back in the box, on its way back to crutchfield for a refund. The sound quality was severely lacking. I have JBL so I don't know if that had something to do with it. Tried everything to make it sound alright, but couldn't.

On to something else I suppose.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVT Pablo View Post
Sorry guys haven't looked at this thread since I installed the Pioneer 5500. As of today though, all the equipment is back in the box, on its way back to crutchfield for a refund. The sound quality was severely lacking. I have JBL so I don't know if that had something to do with it. Tried everything to make it sound alright, but couldn't.

On to something else I suppose.
That sucks. I'm really happy with mine. I'm no audiophile so I just set the EQ until I like the sound and go with it. I do not have JBL so you could be onto something. Good luck with your next choice.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #23
tstout23 is on a distinguished road
tstout23's Tacoma Gallery
when i press "mode" on my steering wheel, it mutes the sound on my radio. does anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Toy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Toy4me's Tacoma Gallery
I'm realy happy with the awsc. I bought it and the factory wiring harness adapter. Connected one ground wire and one power and plugged the 3.5mm plug into my alpine HU and turned the key on. It set itself up in about 30 seconds and works perfectly. The only thing I noticed is if I press and hold mode it dose'nt turn the hu off.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstout23 View Post
when i press "mode" on my steering wheel, it mutes the sound on my radio. does anyone else have this issue?
I do not. when I press "mode", it switches scrolls through inputs from each press.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #26
Goshred025 is on a distinguished road
Goshred025's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
so I finally got this steering wheel adapter/control to work. I have it paired up with a pioneer 80prs....
Have you got the steering wheel control to work when the 80prs is in the advanced mode?
Once I've switched to the advanced or "active" setup the controls stopped working properly.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
2012SilverSport is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: NAVENG Warrant Officer
2012SilverSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had a similar issue with mine initially. I did the reset and sync with phone IAW the directions, it worked perfectly afterwards. Do you have the ASWC/ASWC1?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #28
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshred025 View Post
Have you got the steering wheel control to work when the 80prs is in the advanced mode?
Once I've switched to the advanced or "active" setup the controls stopped working properly.
I am not active yet, so I havent gone that far.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
na5m is on a distinguished road
Marines: E3 (waaah!!!)
Name: Chris
na5m's Tacoma Gallery
ASWC versus ASWC-1

Slide open the little black firmware update door on the ASWC and you'll be greeted with an in-line four-pin connector.

Slide open the little black firmware update door on the ASWC-1 and you'll be greeted with a modern mini-USB connector.

Other than that, I'm not sure what other differences there are.
And I believe [] that both models use the exact same firmware from

http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.ph...age=page&id=15
Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #30
ark1ebs is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
ark1ebs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
UPDATE - for 2013 models the turbowire harness that metra sells to make this plug and play doesnt work. 2013 models have 28 pin plug and 2011-before have 20 pin plugs. i do not know if 2012 uses 28 pin plug or 20 pin plug. i used tap splices i bought at lowes in the electrical department to tap into 3 wires on the factory toyota steering wheel control plug, pins 21,22,and 23.

here is how i installed aswc-1 and it auto detected and worked perfectly on a pioneer avic x940bt.

aswc-1 red wire to red wire on metra radio harness
aswc-1 black wire to black wire on metra radio harness
aswc-1 green/orange wire to purple/white wire on the toyota steering wheel control factory plug
aswc-1 black/green wire to yellow/black wire on toyota steering wheel control factory plug
white/red wire to black wire on metra radio harness
I think I get all of this after studying the plugs for what seems like hours.

One last question before I go cutting wires though...

The white/red wire from the Toyota steering wheel control plug gets wired into the ground wires from all the other harnesses?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #31
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
I spent about 15 hours this weekend troubleshooting my install. On the phone w crutctchfield and finally metra.

It says in the manual "chassis ground" not just ground. Metra on the phone said to me to absolutely not use the ground for the headunit but instead use a direct chassis. Ground the pin 23 and the aswc-1 ground together to the chassis.

My still doesn't work properly. I can't get volume up or down to work. Track seek up down only works in radio not in any other app like Bluetooth or Pandora etc. no ideas so crutch field is sending
Me another headunit. Otherwise it works. I soldered direct to the wires.

FYI! There is a harness for 2013 taco that's on metra site. I didn't get it but it has a part number.

If you could let me know how this goes for you too I'd love to hear it. Tomorrow I call pioneer just to see their thoughts
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #32
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
jparf's Tacoma Gallery
After I did my initial install my Axess didn't work either. After I turned it on while holding the reset button it, it reconfigured itself and everything worked as it should. Maybe try that?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparf View Post
After I did my initial install my Axess didn't work either. After I turned it on while holding the reset button it, it reconfigured itself and everything worked as it should. Maybe try that?
Yesterday when I got the new ASWC-1 I swapped the brains not the harness, no help. Today I swapped the harness and all works great. Who would have thought bad harness? Anyhow everything works well.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
Balot64 is on a distinguished road

Navy: ASC
Balot64's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have similar problem with my Pioneer 80PRS, there are time when I hit MODE, it will mute the audio and show ATT (maybe ATT is my cell phone provider). Some time it will work like it supposed to, changing input like BT, Tuner, AUX, etc... I installed the extra wiring from Metra so I don't have to cut any wiring and my factory AUX also works. BTW I have ASWC 1.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Before I swapped the harness the more button did a completely different thing. Also seek up/down moved my presets in the radio vs what it did after. After it moved one freq at a time, hold down for it to do presets. Perhaps your harness is bad? All I know is that fixed mine for sure
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #36
Balot64 is on a distinguished road

Navy: ASC
Balot64's Tacoma Gallery
I guess, I have to take a look the wiring harness. It might be loose or got pinch when I installed the stereo back. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #37
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balot64 View Post
I guess, I have to take a look the wiring harness. It might be loose or got pinch when I installed the stereo back. Thanks for the reply.
visually there was nothing I could find wrong with mine. It was brand new out of the box, I wired it up, plugged the 3.5mm in the port and the damn thing just never worked right.

I bought the second unit from Best Buy, swapped the box, but not the harness, then proceeded to waste another 6 hours between various tech support (Metrica, Pioneer, Crutchfield) and my time. Finally next day, swap the harness (easy this time as you just cut the wires and solder in the middle real fast) and whammo it worked. I have no idea if it was the 3.5mm plug or the black harness/connector piece. all I know is it worked perfectly afterwards and this ones going back to Crutchfield. BTW, 49.99 on Amazon and BB price matched, so not only is crutchfield taking this back, I think I paid like $64.99 or $79.99 or something from them, more bottom line..
Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #38
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
everything works minus the phone call buttons on the steering wheel as you would have to configure that through the stereo with your phone.
Quote:
so I finally got this steering wheel adapter/control to work. I have it paired up with a pioneer 80prs and it had auto detected it right away. volume control works, and the search works(next track AND fast forward or reverse search during playback. no next folder advance or revert, since that is a pioneer thing [for thumb drives or ipods<--havent tested the ipod]).

for correct installation you will need this:
http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.ph...roducts_id=197

and this to replace the harness that came with the module noted above:
http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.ph...roducts_id=109

had I known this prior to installing the pioneer, it would have been nice. but I rest easy so far, that everything works as intended.

if you can install a stereo, you can definitely install this steering wheel control harness. just do it at the same time, so you only install it once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVT Pablo View Post
So I got it all hooked up, everything is good to go except the bluetooth buttons. The hangup/pickup buttons don't work, and the voice button just turns the volume down. All the other buttons work flawlessly.

It is strange however, my DVD fuction wont seem to work, I may have hooked up the E-Brake wire incorrectly, because other fuctions that need to have the e-brake connected, still work.

(by the way silversport, I like the "IAW" you used there )
If you simply hooked up the aswc and use the default, then that is what you will get. push to talk becomes mute, on hook and off hook becomes next and previous.

You will need to reprogram the buttons to get the bluetooth and phone buttons to work. The reprogram instructions are in the aswc-1 manual.
http://assets.sonicelectronix.com/ma...metra/aswc.pdf

There are 18 functions (listed in exact order) that you can assign to your steering wheel buttons. (you can see the first 8 functions are assigned to your 8 steering wheel buttons by default)

1. Volume Up
2. Volume Down
3. Seek Up/Next
4. Seek Down/Prev
5. Source/Mode
6. Mute
7. Preset Up
8. Preset Down
9. Power
10. Band
11. Play/Enter
12. PTT (Push To Talk)
13. On Hook
14. Off Hook
15. Fan Up
16. Fan Down
17. Temp Up
18. Temp Down

My 2010 steering wheel has 8 buttons, left side from top, vol up, vol down, up, down, mode, right side from top, on hook, off hook, push to talk.

The idea is to match the buttons to the functions.
The first 5 functions matches the first 5 buttons, but I wanted to assign function 13 to on hook button, 14 to off hook button and 12 to push to talk button.

Simply follow the instructions as stated in the manual. (my comments in parenthesis)

* If the ASWC has been in a vehicle before:
2) Press and hold the reset button down for more then 10 seconds.
3) After the 10 seconds the led will begin a slow constant flash.
4) At this point press and hold the Volume Up button on the steering wheel for 7 seconds until the led goes solid red. Now release the Volume Up button and the led goes off. Volume Up has now been programmed. (this is function #1)
5) Now press and hold the Volume Down button until the led goes solid red. Release the Volume Down button and the led goes off. Volume Down has now been programmed. (this is function #2. on my aswc, the led color is green).
6) At this point press and hold the next button on the steering wheel that corresponds with the programming list (see below). The chart below shows in what order the steering wheel control buttons need to be programmed in. (do this for functions 3,4,5, by pressing Up, Down and Mode buttons until led lights up correspondingly)

If the next function on the list is not on the steering wheel press and hold the Volume Up button for 1 second till the led comes on then release the button. This tells the ASWC that the function is not available and moves on to the next function.

Ok, this is the tricky part. Since we do not want functions 6-11, you then press and hold Volume up button until the led comes on 6 times to skip functions 6-11. Make sure to keep track of the function number. Once you are on function number 12, press the push to talk steering wheel button. Next function 13, press the On hook steering wheel button, then next function 14 press the off hook steering wheel button. At this point, you do not need to finish the rest, just press the volume up until led comes on and you are done.

I actually programmed my up/down steering wheel button to functions 7 and 8 instead of 3 and 4 so I can go through my FM radio presets instead of seeking up/down.

The push to talk button activates the "siri eyes free" function on my pioneer head unit. The on/off hook buttons can only pick up and hang up incoming calls (I have not tried to make outgoing calls yet).

Products Discussed in this Thread