LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Retain Factory Aux Input w/ Aftermarket Install?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
ShaneG is on a distinguished road
Navy: SCPO / P-3 Aircrew
Name: Shane
ShaneG's Tacoma Gallery
Retain Factory Aux Input w/ Aftermarket Install?

I'm installing a new Pioneer Avic X940BT into my 2011 PreRunner DC SR5. While I don't necessarily need the factory aux input located under the climate control panel, I would like to retain it for those rare occasions when I may want to use it, plus I hate having something installed that is inoperable. Is there a way to wire it so that it can still be utilized with the Pioneer, or do you lose the functionality once you pull the factory stereo?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
I took it apart the aux input and when you slide the circuit board out of the switch face, it leaves a tiny hole behind the little rubber cover. From there, I bought a 3.5mm male to female cable. The male end plugs into the back of the pioneer, the female end got hot glued behind the aux input switch face. From the front, it looks OEM and works perfect. It can be undone and the circuit board slide back it to restore to stock if desired. And easier way would be to get a 3.5 mm male cable, cut off one end. You should have 2 wires inside (left and right) plus a "shield" for the common negative. Those 3 can be soldered onto the OEM aux input circuit board, or you can simply tap into the wires behind the aux input. At the time, I didn't have access to the during schematic to know which wires to tap, nor did I feel like testing the board for where to solder, so that's why I did it my way. Anything works though. Just really depends how electronically inclined you are I suppose.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
ShaneG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
I took it apart the aux input and when you slide the circuit board out of the switch face, it leaves a tiny hole behind the little rubber cover. From there, I bought a 3.5mm male to female cable. The male end plugs into the back of the pioneer, the female end got hot glued behind the aux input switch face. From the front, it looks OEM and works perfect. It can be undone and the circuit board slide back it to restore to stock if desired. And easier way would be to get a 3.5 mm male cable, cut off one end. You should have 2 wires inside (left and right) plus a "shield" for the common negative. Those 3 can be soldered onto the OEM aux input circuit board, or you can simply tap into the wires behind the aux input. At the time, I didn't have access to the during schematic to know which wires to tap, nor did I feel like testing the board for where to solder, so that's why I did it my way. Anything works though. Just really depends how electronically inclined you are I suppose.
Not as electronically inclined as you, I suppose. I'll take a look at it tomorrow in the daylight and make a determination one way or another. Appreciate the input.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pop out your oem aux input, unplug the harness from the back, and ship it to me in a small padded envelope for cheap. It'll cost like $10 for a decent 3.5mm cable and another $10 at most for round trip shipping. I can build you the plug and ship it back so all you have to do is plug it I to the back of your radio and pop the aux back in.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
ShaneG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pop out your oem aux input, unplug the harness from the back, and ship it to me in a small padded envelope for cheap. It'll cost like $10 for a decent 3.5mm cable and another $10 at most for round trip shipping. I can build you the plug and ship it back so all you have to do is plug it I to the back of your radio and pop the aux back in.
I'm good. Appreciate the offer, but it's not a big enough a deal for me to go through with the hassle. The aux input for the X940BT is attached to the usb input which now resides in the glovebox. Not that clean install I would have hoped for (usb and aux input in dash), but it will work. Thanks for the offer, bro.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Thin Blue Line

Anytime you change your mind let me know
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
Use a Pac swi-jack or axxess awsc and the aux port (depending on aftermarket deck) works. i just installed an alpine ive-w535hd and used the axxess and it works like a charm (for my wifes jpod, i use mine hardwired usb)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got any pictures? I'm wanting to get a new hu and want to be able to keep that usb port functional as well.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1999t View Post
Use a Pac swi-jack or axxess awsc and the aux port (depending on aftermarket deck) works. i just installed an alpine ive-w535hd and used the axxess and it works like a charm (for my wifes jpod, i use mine hardwired usb)
The modules you mentioned are steering wheel control interfaces for aftermarket radios with a wired remote input. Completely unrelated to the aux and usb input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopgun515 View Post
Got any pictures? I'm wanting to get a new hu and want to be able to keep that usb port functional as well.
No pictures, it was done 3 years ago. But you said USB so I'm assuming up have a 12 or 13 with the USB/AUX combo correct? If so, I know the usb can be plugged right in with the correct male-female USB cable (I'm almost positive on that but can find out for sure). As far as the aux, I'll look into that as well. Havent integrated that on a 12+ yet.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Quote:
The modules you mentioned are steering wheel control interfaces for aftermarket radios with a wired remote input. Completely unrelated to the aux and usb input.

No pictures, it was done 3 years ago. But you said USB so I'm assuming up have a 12 or 13 with the USB/AUX combo correct? If so, I know the usb can be plugged right in with the correct male-female USB cable (I'm almost positive on that but can find out for sure). As far as the aux, I'll look into that as well. Havent integrated that on a 12+ yet.
Yea I have a 13.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopgun515 View Post
Yea I have a 13.
K I'll look into it and get back to you
Old 08-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Voodoochild 2k9 is on a distinguished road

Marines: VMT-6
Name: Randy
Voodoochild 2k9's Tacoma Gallery
Actually the guy posting about the steering wheel controls may be on the right path. There's a harness from Axxess (sold seperately from the SWI)that is supposed to allow you to install the SWI and retain use of the aux port location. Check it out.

http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.ph...roducts_id=109
Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Voodoochild 2k9 is on a distinguished road

Marines: VMT-6
Name: Randy
Voodoochild 2k9's Tacoma Gallery
They also have a harness to allow use of the OEM USB location. Unfortunately I can't use the first harness because I got the PAC SWI instead of the Access.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #14

My truck has a factory Aux/usb port combo. Can that harness keep both functional? I don't understand all this radio harness wiring etc stuff!