So, we decided to buy a portable unit and install it as an auxiliary device to the stereo. That way, we could always take it regardless if we replace the stereo or even get another vehicle.
Of the portable units we found, the Sirius units seemed to be fairly nice for the price. The problem being that the Sirius units typically work best with a Sirius antenna. The stock XM antenna in the Tacoma will apparently work if you buy an adapter cable, but will cost you >$50 and will not receive as strong as a signal.
In order to install the Sirius unit, plus the antenna, I set the following “goals” for the job:
(1) Install the Sirius antenna on the roof near the existing XM antenna in order to take advantage of the existing hole in the roof
(2) Install the Sirius receiver in a location that is out of the way, and ideally, hidden, so that:a. You don’t have a receiver sticking out (like a typical vent mount)
b. It’s not obvious to a potential thief that there’s a unit to steal
(3) Do a “clean” install.Here’s how the install went:a. Minimize the exposed wiring.
b. Tap into existing power instead of using cigarette lighter plugs
Dropped the headliner and unscrewed the existing XM antenna from the roof in order to gain access to the roof hole.
BTW, I didn’t know how to remove the headliner. Luckily there are youtube videos that show you how to do this:
How to Remove Headliner (Part 1 of 2): Link Click Here
How to Remove Headliner (Part 2 of 2): Link Click Here
Then I took apart the existing XM antenna so that I could make a minor modification to the housing. BTW, this also helped me with moving the antenna around because the existing XM wire is fairly short.
I notched out the body of the antenna housing just above the rubber seal. It’s hard to see in the picture but there’s a new small notch between the housing and the seal. Note: As I was planning what to do, I first thought that it would be best to cut the rubber. However, the housing solution worked really well because the rubber seal remains the same and is less likely to tear. Then I used some black sealant to cover up the tiny gap left between the bottom of the wire and the roof. This is to prevent water leaks.