Notices

Climate Control Lights Went Out w/ New HU

Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Shaowei is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Shaowei's Tacoma Gallery
Climate Control Lights Went Out w/ New HU

Hello All,

I recently installed a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT head unit in my 2005 DC w/ a stock JBL system. I pulled everything from the JBL system and installed new door speakers, amp, sub, wiring, etc... Everything has been working except for the climate control lights.

Shortly after the install was finished, the climate control lights on the right side of the controls (location selector and cabin air recycler) didn't come on with the head lights. Just this morning (about two weeks later) I turned my headlights on and none of the climate control lights work. The controls themselves work fine but the lights don't come on any more. My dash lights are working fine.

Anybody have any ideas for things I can check? I haven't checked the fuse yet but will this evening. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Try the fuse, then check the lights. I've not pulled the climate controls apart myself..however, it is possible that it just happened that the bulbs went on their own if your truck is an 05. I'm not sure what else runs on that fuse (if anything), and I'll grant you I'd be likely to suspect something in the HU job but you could just be looking at coincidence too.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaowei View Post
Hello All,

I recently installed a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT head unit in my 2005 DC w/ a stock JBL system. I pulled everything from the JBL system and installed new door speakers, amp, sub, wiring, etc... Everything has been working except for the climate control lights.

Shortly after the install was finished, the climate control lights on the right side of the controls (location selector and cabin air recycler) didn't come on with the head lights. Just this morning (about two weeks later) I turned my headlights on and none of the climate control lights work. The controls themselves work fine but the lights don't come on any more. My dash lights are working fine.

Anybody have any ideas for things I can check? I haven't checked the fuse yet but will this evening. Thanks!
Sounds like the bulbs went out if all your other dash lights work fine. The dash lights fuse has all the lights together.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Yup... especially on an '05.
I have an '08 and had an intermittent problem with one of the lights. Replaced both and it's been fine since.

The AC controls and pushbuttons on the left of the wheel are actual light bulbs. Everything else in the dash is LED.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem with my climate control lights after I installed a new deck. The lights only sporadically didn't come on, and only on the right side like yours started out as.

I found by lightly hitting the right side of climate controls (under the right side vent, but next to the climate controls) it made the lights come back on. Eventually I popped the climate controls out because I figured the wiring harness was loose or something since it was sporadic. Nothing seemed to be loose, but I disconnected the harness and tried to shove the wires further into the harness just in case one wire was barely loose. The lights have come one ever since so I guess one of the wires was barely loose.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Yup... especially on an '05.
I have an '08 and had an intermittent problem with one of the lights. Replaced both and it's been fine since.

The AC controls and pushbuttons on the left of the wheel are actual light bulbs. Everything else in the dash is LED.
Nice, you learned me something here today Rich. I was wondering about the bulb/LED thing.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Shaowei is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Shaowei's Tacoma Gallery
Update:

Thanks for all the information guys. I checked the fuse and it was fine (as expected since my dash was working). I ended up buying a new bulb from Toyota and replacing the bad one. All the climate controls now light up as they should. The bad thing was that Toyota charged $11.26 for ONE tiny little bulb!

Did this have anything to do with the new head unit? I can't say, maybe it was coincidence. Either way, everything is back to normal and working correctly. I'll update this thread if anything changes.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Purdue Pete is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Purdue Pete's Tacoma Gallery
I know this thread is older but I just wanted to add that after I put in my new Kenwood DDX470 headunit last night the same bulb went out for me. It is the knob that selects where the air should be going. Going to check the bulb and wiring when I get home, figured it might help someone else down the road. Doesn't seem like a coincidence to me though.

I hit my climate control a bit and the light came on and off. So something is loose but I couldn't find where. Plan on doing some more investigating shortly because it is driving me nuts. If anyone has thoughts, I'd like to hear them. None of the wires appeared to be loose in the connectors and seem to have solid connections.