1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Climate Control Lights Went Out w/ New HU

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Shaowei, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Mar 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    Shaowei

Shaowei [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 LB
    Hello All,

I recently installed a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT head unit in my 2005 DC w/ a stock JBL system. I pulled everything from the JBL system and installed new door speakers, amp, sub, wiring, etc... Everything has been working except for the climate control lights.

Shortly after the install was finished, the climate control lights on the right side of the controls (location selector and cabin air recycler) didn't come on with the head lights. Just this morning (about two weeks later) I turned my headlights on and none of the climate control lights work. The controls themselves work fine but the lights don't come on any more. My dash lights are working fine.

Anybody have any ideas for things I can check? I haven't checked the fuse yet but will this evening. Thanks!

2. Mar 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Try the fuse, then check the lights. I've not pulled the climate controls apart myself..however, it is possible that it just happened that the bulbs went on their own if your truck is an 05. I'm not sure what else runs on that fuse (if anything), and I'll grant you I'd be likely to suspect something in the HU job but you could just be looking at coincidence too.

3. Mar 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    t_e

t_e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    miami,fl
    Sounds like the bulbs went out if all your other dash lights work fine. The dash lights fuse has all the lights together.

4. Mar 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Yup... especially on an '05.
    I have an '08 and had an intermittent problem with one of the lights. Replaced both and it's been fine since.

The AC controls and pushbuttons on the left of the wheel are actual light bulbs. Everything else in the dash is LED.

5. Mar 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I had the same problem with my climate control lights after I installed a new deck. The lights only sporadically didn't come on, and only on the right side like yours started out as.

I found by lightly hitting the right side of climate controls (under the right side vent, but next to the climate controls) it made the lights come back on. Eventually I popped the climate controls out because I figured the wiring harness was loose or something since it was sporadic. Nothing seemed to be loose, but I disconnected the harness and tried to shove the wires further into the harness just in case one wire was barely loose. The lights have come one ever since so I guess one of the wires was barely loose.

6. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Nice, you learned me something here today Rich. I was wondering about the bulb/LED thing.

7. Mar 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    Shaowei

Shaowei [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 LB
    Update:

Thanks for all the information guys. I checked the fuse and it was fine (as expected since my dash was working). I ended up buying a new bulb from Toyota and replacing the bad one. All the climate controls now light up as they should. The bad thing was that Toyota charged $11.26 for ONE tiny little bulb!

Did this have anything to do with the new head unit? I can't say, maybe it was coincidence. Either way, everything is back to normal and working correctly. I'll update this thread if anything changes.

8. Dec 12, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    Purdue Pete

Purdue Pete Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4X4, V6, 6 spd.
    Removed Charcoal filter, K&N filter, and that's it until I can save a bit
    I know this thread is older but I just wanted to add that after I put in my new Kenwood DDX470 headunit last night the same bulb went out for me. It is the knob that selects where the air should be going. Going to check the bulb and wiring when I get home, figured it might help someone else down the road. Doesn't seem like a coincidence to me though.

I hit my climate control a bit and the light came on and off. So something is loose but I couldn't find where. Plan on doing some more investigating shortly because it is driving me nuts. If anyone has thoughts, I'd like to hear them. None of the wires appeared to be loose in the connectors and seem to have solid connections.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top