Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Speakers/Amp installed 03 Double Cab

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Why yes, I AM a rocket scientist.
Geosh is on a distinguished road

Geosh's Tacoma Gallery
Speakers/Amp installed 03 Double Cab

So I finally got to install my new speakers (JBL 6.5" GTO components up front and 6.5" coaxial rear) and Alpine KTP-445u amp. Man, what a pain in the rear that was. I bought adapter plates for the 5x7 --> 6.5" conversion and everything bolted up great... except for when I tried to put the door panel back on. I had to trim the adapter plates back a bit all around the profile, and I had to take some material off the insides of the grill on the door panels so that they would clear the wider speaker. It should have been a lot easier, but it is done now and the door fits great and everything (except for the new tweeters) looks just like stock.

All in all, the JBLs sound great. I got them from OnlineCarStereo.com (no affiliation) and couldn't be happier. The little Alpine booster amp (KTP-445u) is pretty killer too. I needed something more than just headunit power (Has a Kenwood in there now) and this does the job VERY well. Now it gets nice and loud and stays CLEAN, and the install was easy. It fit in the back of the center dash right behind and below the radio. Only problem now is that I REALLY want to add a sub now. The highs and mid bass are just what I wanted, but I could definitely use a sub to add a nice low end punch.

Also, I had to replace one of the lights in the gauge cluster as it burnt out. My wife was wondering what the heck I was doing to my new (to me) truck!!