1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Subwoofer recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Bowfisher1, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    Bowfisher1

Bowfisher1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab
    3 inch Rough Country Off Road lift/level kit, NITTO Trail Grapplers, Monster Xd Series rims, memphis door speakers and amp, two sundown SD-2 10's, Kenwood head unit, weather tech floor matts, coverking neoprene shadowgrass seat covers

I've just heard to many instances from amps clipping to woofers blowing way to easy to woofers distorting terribly! The only alpine thing I have heard (my self) is the speakers in out boat and I must say the do sound great although we haven't really broken them in!

2. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I can tell you right now if they are having issues, its the installers fault. Like I said, most people think 'gain' is like a volume knob and they can just keep cranking it up, then they blow speakers. Sure it gets louder, but it distorts and ends up destroying the woofer fast.

I've ran type-r mids/highs/amps, alpine is a solid product. Too bad your not close to Az or I could show you how good a Type-R can really sound. SQ is great, bass is good too but don't expect to win any SPL competitions with it.

3. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    Bowfisher1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab
    3 inch Rough Country Off Road lift/level kit, NITTO Trail Grapplers, Monster Xd Series rims, memphis door speakers and amp, two sundown SD-2 10's, Kenwood head unit, weather tech floor matts, coverking neoprene shadowgrass seat covers

Yeah I'm Defenantly not trying to win any SPL competition but I do want it to be a little loud but with good sound quality.

4. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Bowfisher1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab
    And you could be 100% correct but nobody I know around me runs any alpine woofers manly memphis around here!

5. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    May want to look back into Alpine or something other than Sundown. I love Sundwon subs, the wife has 2 12's in her civic that bang like no other, but they are SPL subs, not SQ subs. Not sure how much SQ you are looking to get. I've compared the Sd-2's 12 to my Alpine, about the same size box (SD@.50, Type-R@.60, both 'optimal' sealed boxes), sealed, same power.. Sundowns hit harder that's for sure, but not as clean as the Type-R so I went with Alpine. Alpine is a lot more expensive too.

Edit; Never been a fan of memphis speakers at all. Personal preference but they have never 'impressed me'. Still, great bang for the buck that's for sure.

6. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    Bowfisher1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab

What's not "impressed" you about them I have never heard one I don't like but I haven't heard their shallows yet.

7. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    Bowfisher1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab
    And I've heard that about sundown here recently.

8. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    killianeric

killianeric Well-Known Member

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    2007 Bass Model Tacoma
    p36167n4.jpg

p36167n3.jpg

You could always just rebuild the center console and put a JL W7 in there :D hahaha. I saw this on race-dezert awhile back

9. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    Bowfisher1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab
    Hahaha we'll that's um.... Differant for shore!

10. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    That's interesting....

11. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    killianeric

killianeric Well-Known Member

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    2007 Bass Model Tacoma
    1106or-08-+2008-toyota-tacoma+front.jpg

p36167n1.jpg

Here's some pictures of the outside of the thing just for the hell of it.. I think he was asking $38,000 for it or something like that

12. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    Bowfisher1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab
    That thing look sick!

13. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    Bowfisher1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aw9d
    May want to look back into Alpine or something other than Sundown. I love Sundwon subs, the wife has 2 12's in her civic that bang like no other, but they are SPL subs, not SQ subs. Not sure how much SQ you are looking to get. I've compared the Sd-2's 12 to my Alpine, about the same size box (SD@.50, Type-R@.60, both 'optimal' sealed boxes), sealed, same power.. Sundowns hit harder that's for sure, but not as clean as the Type-R so I went with Alpine. Alpine is a lot more expensive too.

Edit; Never been a fan of memphis speakers at all. Personal preference but they have never 'impressed me'. Still, great bang for the buck that's for sure.

What's not "impressed" you about them I have never heard one I don't like but I haven't heard their shallows yet.

14. Mar 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    The Alpine Type R is one of the subs I give "the nod" to. If I'm honest, it's one of the few mainstream subs that just hammers and sounds pretty damn good doing it. The last couple iterations of the sub have just gotten better and better with the new motor technology. One thing that always blew me away was how much power most guys throw at them and they just flat out take it.

Box design will determine the majority of your power handling so put them in a ported box that's built to spec and you'll do just fine.

PS: I've heard those Type R shallows sound quite nice. Too bad they're so pricey. :(

15. Mar 22, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    Bowfisher1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab

See and that's just the thing I AM trying to find a shallow mount sub. But I definantly ain't about to spend that much money on a sub. 1: because I am getting two of them, and 2: that's just flat out throwing money away.

16. Mar 22, 2013 at 5:24 AM
    MaloneS

MaloneS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    Sold, but going to by another
  17. Mar 22, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    hotrodbanshee

hotrodbanshee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    El Campo,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4X4 Double Cab
    I'm thinking about trying a 12" pioneer premier flat sub in my wifes double cab.

18. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:07 AM
    Bowfisher1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double cab
    Well I guess if all since all if y'all keep saying JL I will give them a look what subs do y'all recommend from them? Please leave a link.

19. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    SaveAHoRideATACO

SaveAHoRideATACO Pro Tech

Member:
    Lake Harding, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Off-Road 2WD
    3" Coil Spacer Lift to Front; 1.5" Add-a-leaf to Rear
    OP, 2 weeks ago I finished my install. I have a 2007 double cab, so I feel your pain in choosing what you want to install. I ended up with 2-10" Memphis Car Audio SR's pushed by a 250W amp. That combined with the JVC head unit I installed, JL Audio front door speakers, and Polk Audio rear door speakers...MY S@#T ROCKS anything I play. Wish I had done this years ago!!!! I haven't taken any photos nor did I when I was working on the install, but I could take some later if you'd like to see. I made some extra support to the face of the box so I could mount the amp on it, it was the only reasonable place to mount in this vehicle.

I also kept all the boxes my stuff came in and get you the part numbers if interested...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  20. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    Corndawg

Corndawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab TRD off road Radiant Red
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear

Products Discussed in

To Top