Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

What dash kit comes with metal brackets?

Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Oh ya, I know the XM antenna has nothing to do with the HD reception (and I plan to remove my Antenna-X shorty and reinstall the factory whip).

I'm just hoping that the antenna relocation to the roof will improve the XM reception.
I'm not dropping signal... even in places where the SC-C1 used to drop.
Frankly, I'm amazed at the difference between the Sirius SC-C1 and the new XM SXV200V1 tuner. The Sirius used to drop signal on the overpasses on the 210 between the 605 and 57, and the Mission overpass, plus it would drop under the power lines that cross near Sierra Madre in Pasadena. The XM tuner has never dropped. The only time I haven't had signal was on restart when parked against the north wall at Lowe's in Chino Hills... but once it connected, I did not drop crossing the north wall of BevMo'.

Like I said, I'm just hoping for more consistent tone on the XM channels. Sirius was consistent, the traffic channels were very clear. SM is a bit "muddy" on those channels... yet the music channels are good. I'm hoping that perhaps they are on a different transponder... but if you don't think it will improve, then I see no reason to move it to the roof.
Gotcha. I must have misread your post. Yeah when I install sat radio, if its a Sirius antenna I know that its MUST be installed on the roof with no exceptions otherwise reception will be horrible. XM antennas could be installed on the dash inside the vehicle, or sometimes even under the dash and still work OK. Sirius antennas suck big time. Putting an XM antenna on the roof is the best possible option. Right now my XM is on my dash opposite of the VIN# and it works great. I have a few bad areas such as the 10 freeway between Mountain and Grove but other than that its good. I eventually want to buy the tiny adapter to plug into the OEM antenna, but its like $70 which is ridiculous so that can wait.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #22
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So I just checked metra website and all their kits are "textured" and mine is not, which makes me think if I have Scosche or Metra. Its been 4 years since I bought it and I remember the one I originally bought sucked big time so i exchanged it for the other one. Not sure which I ended up with, but mine is Silver, Double Din, Smooth, with the 4 indents across the top like OEM. Whichever one it is, it works great!

What dash kit comes with metal brackets?-uploadfromtaptalk1364100094909.jpg
Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Gotcha. I must have misread your post. Yeah when I install sat radio, if its a Sirius antenna I know that its MUST be installed on the roof with no exceptions otherwise reception will be horrible. XM antennas could be installed on the dash inside the vehicle, or sometimes even under the dash and still work OK. Sirius antennas suck big time. Putting an XM antenna on the roof is the best possible option. Right now my XM is on my dash opposite of the VIN# and it works great. I have a few bad areas such as the 10 freeway between Mountain and Grove but other than that its good. I eventually want to buy the tiny adapter to plug into the OEM antenna, but its like $70 which is ridiculous so that can wait.
Ahh... maybe I'll leave it where it is. Or maybe I'll temporarily run it out the window to the roof to see if it helps.

I wouldn't mind retrofitting a stock sharkfin.
Quote:
So I just checked metra website and all their kits are "textured" and mine is not, which makes me think if I have Scosche or Metra. Its been 4 years since I bought it and I remember the one I originally bought sucked big time so i exchanged it for the other one. Not sure which I ended up with, but mine is Silver, Double Din, Smooth, with the 4 indents across the top like OEM. Whichever one it is, it works great!
Mine doesn't have the 4 indentations, but it does have the "pebble" texture like the stock HU.

But your trim ring looks just like mine. That is attached to the wings and the HU and you can pull the cover and clock module separately, right?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #24
Thin Blue Line

Yeah the fave of the dash kit (main silver part) clips onto the 2 mounting brackets (actually glues on) then the radio bolts into between the mounting plates and the clock just clips in. So basically if I remove the 4 10mm bolts behind the AC controls and pull the dash kit off, the radio comes out with it. I've seen guys who can take off the face of their dash kit while the radio is still bolted in using the 10mm's. Either they didn't assemble their kit correctly, or they used the factory metal brackets which is incorrect.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #25
hacklerjason is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
hacklerjason's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to hacklerjason Send a message via MSN to hacklerjason Send a message via Yahoo to hacklerjason Send a message via Skype™ to hacklerjason
but can the oem brackets be reused without complications? i prefer the metal over the plastic
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah the fave of the dash kit (main silver part) clips onto the 2 mounting brackets (actually glues on) then the radio bolts into between the mounting plates and the clock just clips in. So basically if I remove the 4 10mm bolts behind the AC controls and pull the dash kit off, the radio comes out with it. I've seen guys who can take off the face of their dash kit while the radio is still bolted in using the 10mm's. Either they didn't assemble their kit correctly, or they used the factory metal brackets which is incorrect.
Sounds like maybe you do have the Scocshe kit.
My main cover is separate from the trim around the HU and can be removed without removing the HU.
The trim around the HU snaps (I glued) to the mounting wings. I can not remove the trim ring without completely removing the HU... it slides into the trim ring from in front and screws run through the wings into the HU.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #27
hacklerjason is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
hacklerjason's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to hacklerjason Send a message via MSN to hacklerjason Send a message via Yahoo to hacklerjason Send a message via Skype™ to hacklerjason
are those blue leds all throughout your console or a photo mishap?

Quote:

Attachment 203063
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #28

Crappy cellphone pic, but here's my Metra.

The entire face can be removed without pulling the HU.
The trim ring around the HU is attached to the "wings" that secure the HU to the dash, and the ring can't be pulled off of the front of the HU.

Edit: Better picture from a less crappy cellphone...

Attached Thumbnails
What dash kit comes with metal brackets?-dashkit.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
ottonavigps is on a distinguished road
ottonavigps's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toolfetch.com/metra-95821...FeQ1Qgode3kAwg

Thats what the metra comes with if I am not mistaken....
Old 11-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottonavigps View Post
http://www.toolfetch.com/metra-95821...FeQ1Qgode3kAwg

Thats what the metra comes with if I am not mistaken....
The Metra kit is 100% plastic.
"Wings" and HU bezel kinda' "puzzle" together with the HU, or I just epoxied the wings to the HU bezel.
HU slips in from the front, bolts to the "wings", and bolts into the dash.

The front surround that includes the clock/airbag module snaps in over the top, then the HVAC is reinstalled.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #31
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 2012 Metra. I notice it vibrates (more like squeaking plastic) the loudest the first 10 minutes when I start to drive the truck I didn't use epoxy as somebody noted here.

The left top side of the face (finishing trim) wasn't tight so I glued it using liquid nail so now its sort of permanent unless I want to buy a new kit.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #32

I glued the "wings" to the inner bezel, but did not glue the inner bezel to the main panel.
No squeaks or rattles... rock solid here.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #33
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried the American international double din kits for the 12+ tacoma yet? I'm in the market for a kit and just found this one online
http://www.ceoutlook.com/2013/03/26/...tacoma-models/
Old 11-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #34
Canadian Redneck

Another thing I found is that scosche also offers a high gloss black kit now to match... I know everyone was saying they could only get the matte
finish from scosche but they sell both and have metal brackets.
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/ins...it-piano-black
Old 11-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #35

Never heard of the AI. Scoshe uses steel mounts, Metra is plastic.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #36
Canadian Redneck

After a little more viewing from what I can see the AI is shit... I'm going with the scosche in high gloss pearl black cause it will match and has the metal brackets..