Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

new CB or reinstall cobra 19

Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
new CB or reinstall cobra 19

So I bought a cobra 19 but yanked it and looking to either reinstall it or upgrade. The plan is to chop up the center console so I'm debating putting it back in or upgrading before I hack up my console for a pos cb radio.

So I guess my real question is for those who know about cbs is how much better is an 100ish dollar unit, name the model, vs my 40 dollar cobra 19.

Appreciate the assistance
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Come on someone has an opinion on this... If I stick w/ the 19 I'd be installing it now before work at 430
Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Probably only minimal differences between the units (added features, Wx, Bluetooth, backlighting, changable colors). Don't cut until you know what you want out of it.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Probably only minimal differences between the units (added features, Wx, Bluetooth, backlighting, changable colors). Don't cut until you know what you want out of it.
I really just want good reception, weather would be nice
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
I really just want good reception, weather would be nice
Reception is all based on your antenna. A $10 radio is not gonna get any better reception than a $100 radio. Max power is 4watt (legal) so unless you go out of your way you can't get "better signal" that way. Top of roof Wilson. Go the route Jandrews and SlimWood did, pop that cherry roof.

If you want to cut now just make sure your new radio is the same size as the current or you have room to cut the hole larger for a larger radio later.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Reception is all based on your antenna. A $10 radio is not gonna get any better reception than a $100 radio. Max power is 4watt (legal) so unless you go out of your way you can't get "better signal" that way. Top of roof Wilson. Go the route Jandrews and SlimWood did, pop that cherry roof.

If you want to cut now just make sure your new radio is the same size as the current or you have room to cut the hole larger for a larger radio later.
I had it tuned up real nice with my 4ft firestik but then I lost the reception, idk
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
LRGRNR

Quote:
I had it tuned up real nice with my 4ft firestik but then I lost the reception, idk
The radio is tuned(peaked) or you antenna?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The radio is tuned(peaked) or you antenna?
Tuneable tip firestik... think I'll find someone with an swr meter and just reinstall the 19
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Cobra 75wxst is all in one and only $92 from amazon. You vould put it anywhere and not hack up the truck
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
LRGRNR

Quote:
Tuneable tip firestik... think I'll find someone with an swr meter and just reinstall the 19
No reason the reception should magically change if the tip stayed the same. Unless you're cable got cut through?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
For around $100 the new Cobra LX is decent radio. And you will hear a difference in recieve and transmit quality. Larger more expensive radios have much better internals than the cheapos.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Cobra 75wxst is all in one and only $92 from amazon. You vould put it anywhere and not hack up the truck
Hacking is not a problem for me
Quote:
No reason the reception should magically change if the tip stayed the same. Unless you're cable got cut through?
As far as I know cable is still fine, need an swr meter to check to see if I can retune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
For around $100 the new Cobra LX is decent radio. And you will hear a difference in recieve and transmit quality. Larger more expensive radios have much better internals than the cheapos.
Yea a guy on here bought a uniden bearcat that was tuned and peaked by a cb shop, might go for either the bearcat or the 25lx if I spend the money. But I would have to think that between 20 or so and 100 there is a difference in signal quality, speaker, mic, etc
Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
The 19 is a brilliant radio, probably the best bang for the buck and reliability is second to none.

Any and all radios are going to perform basically the same without a tuning or linear power added.

If you're looking to improve your cb output and input, look at getting a good amp to slap behind your radio. I'm currently running a 550 on my Cobra with a Wilson 5000 and absolutely love the wave range.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Location: Home: Lexington, VA Current: Pittsburgh/Chicora, PA
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
dont know a thing about cb's but im planning on running a cobra 19 with wilson 1000
Old 03-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Better internals will help the longevity of the radio but will not improve signal strength, though you may have a clearer voice as you suggest.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Clearer for sure. I had a crap radio shack radio and it sounded like I was talking through a wet pillow. Then a Cobra 18 which was slightly better. Now a Connex. I get a lot of compliments on the quality of the signal.