Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Anyone mount the crossovers in the door?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone mount the crossovers in the door?

Any space in the door area to mount the crossover? I'd like to avoid running more wiring back out for the crossovers...thanks.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
aaronc7 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
aaronc7's Tacoma Gallery
I mounted mine in the door panel.. Plenty of space, but not totally happy with it. Don't like how it creates wires between the door itself and the panel, but I could not come up with a better spot when I put mine it (was getting late).
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
How did you guys mount it? Adhesive?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Bolted it to the door in the space below the armrest.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
aaronc7 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
aaronc7's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
In my 99 civic the guy who installed put the crossovers in the doors. When it rained or I washed my car, they got wet. They had that gold plating on the connectors but they were covered In rust. I don't think that approach seemed right. Maybe they can be mounted In the doors and not be in an area that gets wet?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I ran wiring to the back and it was a good thing. Had to work out some phase cancellation and rewire them... hard to do if inside door. I don't recommend putting in door.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
If you mount them in the door be sure to seal them up somehow. If you don't have silicone or something just tape them in a plastic bag even. If water gets in there you're doomed.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Under the armrest, bolt them right to the steel door.
It's on the dry side of the weather seal panels.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
Crossovers sometimes have attenuation settings you might want to get to. I recommend mounting them by the amplifier so you have access to make adjustments if necessary.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Reviving an old thread. Mount them on the cab side of the plastic to the black steel filler plate? That will keep them dry?

I was going to put them behind the kick panel but pulled it off and saw there is so NO room.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytone View Post
Crossovers sometimes have attenuation settings you might want to get to. I recommend mounting them by the amplifier so you have access to make adjustments if necessary.
I oriented mine with the switch toward the rear. I can get to it by removing the door pull and popping the rear of the door panel without completely removing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj0hn View Post
Reviving an old thread. Mount them on the cab side of the plastic to the black steel filler plate? That will keep them dry?
Ya, on the interior panel side of the door. I'd feel better in the area under the arm rest as it's a bit higher and not as likely to get wet if you drive through high water, but you should be okay in the area just behind the speaker if there's room.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt have crossovers to mount, but you can do them in the doors either affixing to the speakers adapter or just under the armrest area.

And it should go without saying that if you have an audio system in your truck dont pretend to be a damn submarine...
Old 10-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Don't really know how the 2nd Gen are but in my 02 I run my front crossovers in the kick panel like seen here:
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
I put mine in the door panel under the arm rest (dry side of vapor barrier). I went to Michaels and bought a few 2'X2' felt sheets and a couple 2'X2' neoprene sheets that I wrapped the wires in to keep them from rattling into the metal.

Wrap the wires in felt, then neoprene to keep the element and rattle proof. Not one issue yet.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Don't really know how the 2nd Gen are but in my 02 I run my front crossovers in the kick panel like seen here:

That is NOT possible on a second gen. That was the route I was going til I pulled the kick panel off.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
mistert is on a distinguished road

mistert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Bolted it to the door in the space below the armrest.
Hmmm...I am working on installing some old school Boston Acoustics Pro components in the doors. I may have to do this too.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
mistert is on a distinguished road

mistert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj0hn View Post
That is NOT possible on a second gen. That was the route I was going til I pulled the kick panel off.
Too bad also because that would make things a lot easier. I don't know, mounting it to the door may be just as easy enough though if there is enough clearance.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #20

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert View Post
Too bad also because that would make things a lot easier. I don't know, mounting it to the door may be just as easy enough though if there is enough clearance.
There is more than enough room just below the arm rest for mine (JL Audio). It should make it easier because with the crossover mounted in the door, you only have to run 1 wire through the door boot and it shortens the length of multiple runs of wire.

I like it! Just gotta find a semi-level sturdy spot to mount them.