Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Radio Condenser??

Old 03-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
snowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant future
Firefighter: SFEO(ret)
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
Radio Condenser??

My 2013 Taco has a little box in the speaker leads I found when I was putting in a glove box light switch. It's mounted right on the back of the glove box cover. Looking up the part number it is listed as a "Radio Condenser". Opening up the box, it is just two mid sized capacitors that bridge some of the speaker wires. it looks like all 8 speaker wires go in and out of the connector, some pass straight through.

I assume this is a noise suppression device between the head and the speakers, but now I'm wondering if it is the "crossover" for the factory tweeters?

I don't have the audio wiring diagram for the '12-13, I would love a link if it's handy.

I'm about to replace my OEM 6x9's and was going to retain the tweeters if possible so I am also wondering if I should bypass the "condenser" or leave it in place?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the JBL system?
On the base system, only 2 wires go into the door and the tweeter is paralleled from the main speaker.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
snowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant future
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
Nope just the base touch screen audio. I was just wondering what the widget was.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so I looked the little bugger over. Part number is 86516-28030.

Color codes of the wires match the scheme for a double cab front and rear speakers. Inside, the 50 volt 47 micro farad capacitors interrupt the positive wires to the "rear" speakers in the headliner, so they block out some of the bass that those little units could not handle as they murmured away under the headliner. Unplugging the connector disconnects the headliner speakers.

If you wish to use any of the factory wiring to the "rear" speakers to power some in the rear doors, you will want to bypass the caps in this box. I just soldered a little jumper across the terminals of the capacitors inside the box and put every thing back the way I found it, so I could use the factory harness at the driver side A pillar to run wires back behind the weatherstrip to my rear door speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Radio Condenser??-img_0003-copy.jpg   Radio Condenser??-img_0007-copy.jpg   Radio Condenser??-img_0010-copy.jpg