Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sub questions

Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Bowfisher1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ty
Bowfisher1's Tacoma Gallery
Sub questions

Does anybody know what it means when a sub pre loads?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Typically if you are buying a box a lot of people offer 'pre-loaded' boxes which means the sub comes already mounted and typically tested to ensure it works.

Other than that I've never heard of pre-loading a sub.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
I called Mr. Marv and asked him. He said when a sub pre loads the air from the sub hits a parallel surface and bounces back to the sub to fast causing it to distort and "sound like crap". Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowfisher1 View Post
I called Mr. Marv and asked him. He said when a sub pre loads the air from the sub hits a parallel surface and bounces back to the sub to fast causing it to distort and "sound like crap". Thank you for your reply.
So how do you prevent it? get a bigger or deeper box, shallower sub?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Why yes, I AM a rocket scientist.
Geosh is on a distinguished road

Geosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopgun515 View Post
So how do you prevent it? get a bigger or deeper box, shallower sub?
Polyfill. It will slow down the air travel inside the box and help prevent this.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosh View Post
Polyfill. It will slow down the air travel inside the box and help prevent this.
I did not know this. Have you tried it?

He said that there is a thing called loading which is a good thing. Pre loading can be prevented by giving more space between the sub and the parralell surface(the bottom of the seat) an you can do this by getting a seat lift and I think that makes the back of the seat not function.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
We were talking about puting two 8's under the backseat of my 2007 Tacoma. Has anybody tried this? Do you really think if I filled te box with polyfill it would help?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I've done it in my Tacoma. Tell Marv that ItalynStylion gives you the green light to go for it. It sounds great in my truck and I'm picky as all hell.

It would be better to not have the rear seat metal right in front of the cone but it's enough clearance to be fine. Plus, the seat isn't really parallel and it's not flat so I wouldn't worry too much. I can speak from experience here.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I've done it in my Tacoma. Tell Marv that ItalynStylion gives you the green light to go for it. It sounds great in my truck and I'm picky as all hell.

It would be better to not have the rear seat metal right in front of the cone but it's enough clearance to be fine. Plus, the seat isn't really parallel and it's not flat so I wouldn't worry too much. I can speak from experience here.

What year is your Tacoma? And what kind of subs do you have? Oh and how much air space it there per chamber?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What year is your Tacoma? And what kind of subs do you have? Oh and how much air space it there per chamber?
I'm in a 2009. They're Elemental Designs e3.8 subwoofers. The airpsace is about 1 cubic foot and it's a single common chamber.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
How do you think a ported box would sound? I'm am looking at getting two sundown SD-2 series 8's the require .25 cubic feet in a sealed box ( for 1 sub) and .5 in a ported box ( 1 sub). http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.ph...sd-series.html
Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
Sounds Gooooood

Just check to make sure you have enough depth so the subs fit physically and you should be fine. Those Sundown subs move a lot of air so you'll likely need a 3" port per sub which is tricky but not impossible. I did it before so I know with effort it can work. It will likely be easier in your case since you will only have one motor structure to miss with the ports.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Just check to make sure you have enough depth so the subs fit physically and you should be fine. Those Sundown subs move a lot of air so you'll likely need a 3" port per sub which is tricky but not impossible. I did it before so I know with effort it can work. It will likely be easier in your case since you will only have one motor structure to miss with the ports.

How much depth is there? And since I am fairly new to car audio please explain what your an by one motor structure and why it will be easier for me?

What is the set up in that pic?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
How much depth is there? And since I am fairly new to car audio please explain what your an by one motor structure and why it will be easier for me?

What is the set up in that pic?
The motor structure is the magnet on the back of a speaker. It makes the cone move. In my last picture I had two speakers per side (the side is divided by the hump in the middle where the driveshaft goes). So it was tricky to get the 3" pipe tube in there without hitting the magnets of two speakers.

In your case, if you're using 1 sub per side you'll have more room so it will probably be easier. And I can't remember how much depth there is. I think someone tried Alpine Type R's down there (8" version) and those are 4.5" deep so there should be at least that down there. You should be fine.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #15
Thank you I think I am going with a sealed box because if I do end up getting these it will be because I feel there is a lack of bass from the two tens I am puting behind the seat. And the box for the tens will be sealed so I'm afraid it will make them sound way to different if one box is ported and one is sealed.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
Sounds Gooooood

Wait......say that again? You're planning on running 10's behind the seat AND 8's under the seat because you're afraid the 10's won't be loud enough?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
I said I will be puting in the 8's if and only if I think the 10's aren't loud enough. I am Getting the two 10's no matter what.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #19
Sounds Gooooood

Yes. If they 10's aren't loud enough you either did it wrong or you can't hear.