Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

What head unit works best with iPhone 5?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
C Wills is on a distinguished road

Name: Cearyx aka C Gutta
C Wills's Tacoma Gallery
What head unit works best with iPhone 5?

I'm looking to upgrade my sound system starting with the head unit. I heard some people were having trouble playing music through their sound system using the iPhone 5. Has anyone found a fix for this? Also just like the title says. Is their a head unit that works best with the iPhone 5?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

C Wills's Tacoma Gallery
Please . Not everybody at once
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
App radio 2 now has a cord for the iPhone 5. If wait til the third generation comes out honestly
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
sub. i maybe getting the 5 or wait till fall and see what they come out with. maybe it will be the iphone 6. I can upgrade now, but the 4 is working like new still after almost 2 years. so i’m planing on waiting till fall to see what comes out.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #6

C Wills's Tacoma Gallery
Thank guys for your help. I just found out that the iPhone 5 works with the pionneer AVH-X4500BT head unit if you use the 30 pin to lightning adapter. You can also play music through Bluetooth. I hope this will help somebody else
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
DR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
DR007's Tacoma Gallery
The 5 won't work with most aftermarket radios yet, unless it specifies, if you are trying to use the USB port. The tradition iPhone uses an analog signal and the radios are made to read that signal but with the new iPhone 5 it uses a digital signal which most radios can't read. I've tried googling fixes but there really isn't anything I've found yet.

Edit: Didn't fully read the last comment. I guess there is a way.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #8

C Wills's Tacoma Gallery
The adapter that I was talking about changes the signal back to analog . Check out this on YouTube : Pioneer AVH-X4500BT tested with an iPhone5 by Fifield Fabrications.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
I was just told today by someone at crutchfield that the 5 worked fine with the 4500BT. I don't have a clue which HU to get! Part of my decision was going to be based in that because I plan to upgrade at some point. I could be ok with hooking up the USB but does anyone know about how the Bluetooth as far as talking on the phone hands free would work? That is more important than being able to play my music through Bluetooth. Not trying to thread jack just trying to find out some of the same info plus some!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
I have an iphone five and it works just fine with my pioneer head unit. I use a iphone 5 cord in the front usb jack. Used to use the head unit with my iphone 4 and didnt even think it might not work when i up graded my phone!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
I have an iphone five and it works just fine with my pioneer head unit. I use a iphone 5 cord in the front usb jack. Used to use the head unit with my iphone 4 and didnt even think it might not work when i up graded my phone!
Which HU do you have? I like just getting in the truck and playing music without have to deal with any cords but I guess I will if I have to.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #13

C Wills's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
Its the pioneer DEH-33HD
Pardon me for not being clear. Im specifically talking about DVD receivers
Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
slinkey11 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Gabe
slinkey11's Tacoma Gallery
i have a pioneer dvd 1400 and it works just fine with the iphone 5 connected via the usb cord that came with it. i can use it like an Ipod controlling it through the headunit as well as i can run pandora through the headunit.

When someone calls when its hooked up it rings through the speakers but i do not hear them talk through the speakers once i answer.

As far as blue tooth the model headunit i have did not come with it so i dont know about that. I also have never used the phone to play a video on the receiver so i do not know if that works either.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #15

C Wills's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkey11 View Post
i have a pioneer dvd 1400 and it works just fine with the iphone 5 connected via the usb cord that came with it. i can use it like an Ipod controlling it through the headunit as well as i can run pandora through the headunit.

When someone calls when its hooked up it rings through the speakers but i do not hear them talk through the speakers once i answer.

As far as blue tooth the model headunit i have did not come with it so i dont know about that. I also have never used the phone to play a video on the receiver so i do not know if that works either.
Thnx for that input. I think I'm gonna order my head unit next week
Old 04-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
Jbbarrette is on a distinguished road
Jbbarrette's Tacoma Gallery
If your looking to play video from your iPhone 5 to the pioneer head unit, pretty sure your SOL. I have a Pioneer 4100dvd (thnk that's the model) plus I have the Bluetooth adapter and all works awesome. Play music via the pioneer adapter and Apple connector cable or via the Bluetooth. Pandora, GPS, Songza all stream just fine.