Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Older deck, adding satellite radio.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
Older deck, adding satellite radio.

I need some advice from people in the know. My situation: Purchased a deck about 4 years ago and itís been sitting in the garage in the box since then. I listen to my ipod and satellite radio 95% of the time. Figured i'd install the deck to get rid of the FM transmitter and all the satellite stuff. Found out that i need an additional module to run the satellite, it's $140. Should i just bite the bullet and buy it or would i be better off with a deck that's newer? Do the newer models still need this expensive module?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Unless the truck comes stock with satellite radio, 99% of the time you have to buy an add-on to use the satellite radio option. I say just keep the deck and if you want satellite radio that bad just buy the accessory. Personally I never liked satellite radio, I'd rather use my phone.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I hate local radio stations and all the commercials, i listen to XM a lot. Already have it in the truck but would like it integrated into the deck. Thanks for your input though.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project.paradigm View Post
I need some advice from people in the know. My situation: Purchased a deck about 4 years ago and itís been sitting in the garage in the box since then. I listen to my ipod and satellite radio 95% of the time. Figured i'd install the deck to get rid of the FM transmitter and all the satellite stuff. Found out that i need an additional module to run the satellite, it's $140. Should i just bite the bullet and buy it or would i be better off with a deck that's newer? Do the newer models still need this expensive module?
Thanks
Sell that deck for whatever you can get.

Buy a $100-150 new head unit that is bluetooth capable. Stream pandora, rhapsody, etc.

or if you jones your satellite stations, buy a unit that is also satellite ready.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

This deck has a USB plug for the ipod so that's not a problem. It says on the box "satellite ready". Would i still need a $140 unit if i purchased a newer deck? Looks like i'll have to go to a car audio shop and ask. Just wanted some opinions from people not trying to sell me some thing.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project.paradigm View Post
This deck has a USB plug for the ipod so that's not a problem. It says on the box "satellite ready". Would i still need a $140 unit if i purchased a newer deck? Looks like i'll have to go to a car audio shop and ask. Just wanted some opinions from people not trying to sell me some thing.
Uhm I answered the question you asked? Unless it says that it comes with a satellite receiver then you're going to have to buy the extra part for the deck. Satellite ready only means that it's capable of it. You still need the extra wiring unless you're vehicle came with it built in, just like I said in my previous post...

Nobody here tried to sell you something either, dude.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

lol. I'm saying i want TW's opinion rather than the guys at the stereo shop. They are trying to sell me some thing, not you.