1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Older deck, adding satellite radio.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Project.paradigm, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Apr 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    I need some advice from people in the know. My situation: Purchased a deck about 4 years ago and it’s been sitting in the garage in the box since then. I listen to my ipod and satellite radio 95% of the time. Figured i'd install the deck to get rid of the FM transmitter and all the satellite stuff. Found out that i need an additional module to run the satellite, it's $140. Should i just bite the bullet and buy it or would i be better off with a deck that's newer? Do the newer models still need this expensive module?
    Thanks

2. Apr 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    Project.paradigm

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    Bump

No one has any advice?

3. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Unless the truck comes stock with satellite radio, 99% of the time you have to buy an add-on to use the satellite radio option. I say just keep the deck and if you want satellite radio that bad just buy the accessory. Personally I never liked satellite radio, I'd rather use my phone.

4. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    Project.paradigm

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    I hate local radio stations and all the commercials, i listen to XM a lot. Already have it in the truck but would like it integrated into the deck. Thanks for your input though.

5. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Sell that deck for whatever you can get.

Buy a $100-150 new head unit that is bluetooth capable. Stream pandora, rhapsody, etc.

or if you jones your satellite stations, buy a unit that is also satellite ready.

6. Apr 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    Project.paradigm

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    This deck has a USB plug for the ipod so that's not a problem. It says on the box "satellite ready". Would i still need a $140 unit if i purchased a newer deck? Looks like i'll have to go to a car audio shop and ask. Just wanted some opinions from people not trying to sell me some thing.

7. Apr 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Uhm I answered the question you asked? Unless it says that it comes with a satellite receiver then you're going to have to buy the extra part for the deck. Satellite ready only means that it's capable of it. You still need the extra wiring unless you're vehicle came with it built in, just like I said in my previous post...

Nobody here tried to sell you something either, dude.

8. Apr 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    Project.paradigm

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    lol. I'm saying i want TW's opinion rather than the guys at the stereo shop. They are trying to sell me some thing, not you.

Products Discussed in

To Top