Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Law on Scanners?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
Jaybo is a jewel in the roughJaybo is a jewel in the roughJaybo is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jaybo Talbo
Jaybo's Tacoma Gallery
Law on Scanners?

Hey guys, what is the law on mobile scanners in your car? And why is it illegal in some places?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like its legal in SC...and only an issue in 12 states

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/transportation/radar.htm
Old 02-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Jaybo is a jewel in the roughJaybo is a jewel in the roughJaybo is a jewel in the rough

Jaybo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I was just curious cause it's something I want to invest in
Old 02-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I had a cheap handheld one in my truck in AZ. I used it to listen to the highway patrol on my way to work... It was pretty interesting... range on the thing sucked though...
Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
I had to get a permit to take my scanner to michigan to go to the nascar races there a few years ago. It was the only state I had to do this and I have been to a lot of different tracks around the country.
The michigan state police have (at least back then) the authority to confiscate the scanner without the permit.

Many law enforcement agencies have switched to digitally encrypted transmissions making these scanners useless.

My mom used to work for a PD in Aurora and her and my Dad used to sit there for hours listening to calls; once the agency switched to the new technology, the radio went off not to be used again.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #7

Jaybo's Tacoma Gallery
Oh wow I see how they could be useless then. But anyways what do you have to do to get a permit if you ever needed one?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #8
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
Oh wow I see how they could be useless then. But anyways what do you have to do to get a permit if you ever needed one?
I just sent in an application and I believe they run a quick background check and then sent me a cheap looking, type-written card. When I was at the races (this was in 2003), you realize that more than 100K people have these scanners with them, you can imagine that very few of these folks knew about the law let alone bothered to send in for a permit.

I did it out of couriosity more than anything.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post

Many law enforcement agencies have switched to digitally encrypted transmissions making these scanners useless.

thats called a "trunked" system.

and there are new scanner for these types of systems already available for mucho $$.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
gotta learn 10code and signals too if you plan on understand what we say
Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
gotta learn 10code and signals too if you plan on understand what we say
I had a card in my truck with all the codes on it -- plus a retired local cop for me to ask questions on what the codes & procedures were...

It was pretty neat... learned a lot of stuff...
Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
I had a card in my truck with all the codes on it -- plus a retired local cop for me to ask questions on what the codes & procedures were...

It was pretty neat... learned a lot of stuff...
the shitty thing about codes though...like...in my area...theres several different levels of LE...and we all use different 10codes...highway/state has one set...county has another...city uses an even different set...and then a lot of the lower level municipalities use good ole plain talk

the only time any of the others use PT are during big things...like if something major happens and there have to be multiple agencies on a mutual aid tac or something...or if theres something major like a (God forbid) terrorist attack