Notices

JL Audio TW3 or TW5

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
chaos316 is on a distinguished road
Name: JJ
chaos316's Tacoma Gallery
JL Audio TW3 or TW5

Just looking at upgrading from my current setup. I am running a 10w3v3 in JL's ported enclosure with an alpine pdx 1.600 amp. Theres a 13tw5 currently on craigslist that Im really thinking about buying. Then I noticed JL just came out with their tw3s. Just seeing if anyone has had any experience with them and if it were a good idea to get 2 tw3s with the box below and still run my pdx 1.600, or run the tw5 and build a custom box.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-10-Inch-T...productDetails
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
The TW5 is very clean to my ear but not loud or deep for its size. The two TW3 will hit harder and play as deep to the ear.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
chaos316 is on a distinguished road
Name: JJ
chaos316's Tacoma Gallery
anyone else have either of these?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Bump on this... I have similar question's.. Anybody have ''experience" on a comparison on these two Subs, the 13-TW5 and the 10TW3-D4 .. I've notice on JL's site they discontinued the "13-TW5-3", but now have the 13-TW5v2-4 and 13-TW5v2-2...

1. Anybody know of the "big" differences on the new 13-TW5's vs the discontinued one?http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-sub...-drivers-tw5v2
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-sub...scontinued-tw5

2. Anybody with some input on these newer 10TW3's?http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-drivers-tw3

3. And how these would stack up in comparison vs. each other in our double cabs., with over all sound, meaning deepness and all around bass blah blah blah etc.

Hopefully somebody with some real knowledge or experience can chime in on this..
I was considering either one 13TW5 or maybe two of the new 10TW3's..

And chaos316, did you end up going with either?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
sundown sd-8 or 10s would be better choice(sound,price).
Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos316 View Post
anyone else have either of these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Bump on this... I have similar question's.. Anybody have ''experience" on a comparison on these two Subs, the 13-TW5 and the 10TW3-D4 .. I've notice on JL's site they discontinued the "13-TW5-3", but now have the 13-TW5v2-4 and 13-TW5v2-2...

1. Anybody know of the "big" differences on the new 13-TW5's vs the discontinued one?http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-sub...-drivers-tw5v2
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-sub...scontinued-tw5

2. Anybody with some input on these newer 10TW3's?http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-drivers-tw3

3. And how these would stack up in comparison vs. each other in our double cabs., with over all sound, meaning deepness and all around bass blah blah blah etc.

Hopefully somebody with some real knowledge or experience can chime in on this..
I was considering either one 13TW5 or maybe two of the new 10TW3's..

And chaos316, did you end up going with either?
Even as an authorized JL dealer, being as new as they are, I have not had a chance to work with the TW3's, but they have been in the making for a LONG time. I don't doubt that JL did a great job with these, and I can't imagine that they could possibly be disappointing based on the fact that the TW5 is the loudest, best sounding shallow mount sub I've ever heard.

As far as the difference between the new and old versions of the TW5 goes, the newer ones are easier to work with since they changed the impedance to dual 2 ohm coils as opposed to two 1.5 ohm coils.

If it were my personal choice, I would go with the two 10 inch TW3's in a custom box. More cone area is always a deciding factor for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meantaco View Post
sundown sd-8 or 10s would be better choice(sound,price).
As for this recommendation, I have to disagree. Despite the fact that the OP has a double cab and will probably want to be able to fit his selected driver behind the seat, I think JL subs sound better than SD subs. Maybe the SD subs can be louder for cheaper than JL subs, but in terms of sound quality JL would be my choice. Also, there are VERY few 8 inch subs that I would consider choosing over most 10 inch subs, and none of sundowns 8 inch subs fall into that category.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneckc View Post
Even as an authorized JL dealer, being as new as they are, I have not had a chance to work with the TW3's, but they have been in the making for a LONG time. I don't doubt that JL did a great job with these, and I can't imagine that they could possibly be disappointing based on the fact that the TW5 is the loudest, best sounding shallow mount sub I've ever heard.

As far as the difference between the new and old versions of the TW5 goes, the newer ones are easier to work with since they changed the impedance to dual 2 ohm coils as opposed to two 1.5 ohm coils.

If it were my personal choice, I would go with the two 10 inch TW3's in a custom box. More cone area is always a deciding factor for me.
Thanks for your reply and input, I was thinking of that set up, for a couple of reasons.. 1. I could get two of the TW3's for the price of one 13, but I only wonder what the difference in sound would be.?? Would it be louder and more bass/deep etc.?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneckc View Post

As for this recommendation, I have to disagree. Despite the fact that the OP has a double cab and will probably want to be able to fit his selected driver behind the seat, I think JL subs sound better than SD subs. Maybe the SD subs can be louder for cheaper than JL subs, but in terms of sound quality JL would be my choice. Also, there are VERY few 8 inch subs that I would consider choosing over most 10 inch subs, and none of sundowns 8 inch subs fall into that category.
Have you heard the sds? Im talking about the new lineup that is focus on sq opposed to their other spl subs... And they have a mounting dept of 4.75
Old 06-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
How recently have they updated that lineup? Last one I heard was an A and B comparison between the sd10 vs a JL 10w1v2 both in their own recommended enclosures. The sd10 was louder but the JL sounded more dynamic. This was a few months ago.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I just switched from a JL 10W3v3 to two Sundown SD-2 10's. I ran a single sub for a week, until my bigger amp arrived, and the sound was similar. The SD definitely got louder, but there really close to SQ, although the JL still has the edge in that. But I still have to stuff my box with polyfill before I can pass final judgement.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Without a doubt, the polyfill was the last piece of the puzzle. I would have said that the Sundown subs were boomy compared to the JL, but now, with a pound of polyfill in the boxes, the Sundowns don't let down. They are smooth, musical, and get loud as hell. I'm not disappointed with my desicion. One thing I will say, the sundowns are power hungry compared to the JL. With the JL 600w was just right. With the Sundowns, 2400w works. They pound with crazy excursion. You have to pull the plastic off the seatbacks, otherwise the subs will hit.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Smurf it.

Navy:
Bump for update on the new JL TW3 10 shallow sub... Anybody have any experience or feedback on it as of yet?

And for polyfill , what is the difference that you're noticing , between with and without?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Bump for update on the new JL TW3 10 shallow sub... Anybody have any experience or feedback on it as of yet?

And for polyfill , what is the difference that you're noticing , between with and without?
Use polyfill. I've noticed a huge difference in tonal quality and response balance between enclosures with polyfill and enclosures without it.

Products Discussed in this Thread