1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ported Subwoofer Box Tuning. Need some help.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by KJaikaran, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Apr 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    Currently running an 8" kicker L7 in a ported box that i built. I have built other boxes in the past that I would tune at about 30hz-35hz, usually running 10"-12" subwoofers in cars with trunks. This is my first time doing a box in a truck and using an 8" sub woofer.

So, currently i am running the 8" L7 at 40hz (actually right in between 40hz-41hz) with 30hz subsonic filtering and it sounds good, but it is lacking the loudness of the lower frequencies. I like the way it sounds, but there is some songs that if you don't hear those low notes it kind of kills the song. So, i can actually close up the port a little to lower the frequencies with two different option, either 36hz or 33z. What i am really looking for is a little bit of every thing. I don't just want low pounding bass that people can hear me coming from down the street that doesn't handle the bass line very well, and i don't want only high bass notes and everything else under that sounds like crap.

Options:
    1: Leave at 40HZ (Dont mind, not all songs hit low anyways.)
    2: 36HZ (Not sure if i would actually notice the difference from 40HZ)
    3: 33Hz (Not sure)
    4: Rebuild the box with different tuning

So any opinions on the tuning would be appreciated.

Rough fitment:
    [​IMG]

2. Apr 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    My suggestion would be to go with the lower tuning option. That will yield the largest gain down in that region. It shouldn't take away much from the slightly higher notes. Remember, the tuning affects where the FR curve gets the most help. It's not just a single peak. You'll just be shifting it down a little and adding low end.

If you use Polyfill in the box it will also lower the tuning slightly.

3. Apr 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    Thanks, probably will be adjusting the port for lower tuning. I was thinking about using some polyfill, but i am kind of worried about it throwing off the tuning. Never actually used polyfill in a ported box so i could be wrong about it throwing off the tuning by much.

4. Apr 13, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Trust me, use a little bit in there. It should pull the tuning down a little and it should also help with box resonance.

5. Apr 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    I would agree that tuning it to the lower frequency ia probably going to be better. I'm also curious as to using polyfill in a ported box, as I've heard that it will screw up the tuning and free air resonance... OP, if you do polyfill the ported box I'd appreciate your opinion on it!

6. Apr 14, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    It will absolutely change the tuning in the box; it will make it lower by maybe 1-2hz (which is ideal in this case).

Long story short, the fibers in the polyfill catch the air movement and essentially slow down the speed of sound. This changes the effective size of the enclosure to something that ACTS larger than it is. It would be like he kept the same port and made the enclosure volume larger causing the tuning to go down. That's how it works.

7. Apr 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    I closed up the port and it should be tuned at 32-33hz now. Debating on the poly fill a little more now because i am getting some port "chuffing" or what ever they call it noise now. I can only hear it if i have it turned up and i literally have my head down by the port. I was kind of worried about that happened when closing up the port a little so i was kind of expecting it, but as i said its only heard if your looking for it with your ear down by the port. I had the same problem when i built my first ever ported box and my port wasn't wide enough. Now i am thinking about adding the poly fill to slow down the air movement a little.

If i decide to do it ill let you know how it goes.

8. Apr 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM
    davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    You're your biggest critic. Haha I feel like everybody else's systems are perfect, but when I listen to mine there's always little things that I know no one picks up on, but I do just because its mine

9. Apr 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    lol, tell me about it, anything vehicle or house related i'm never satisfied until I know its perfect. Sometimes I tell my self its fine and i should leave it alone, but deep down it bugging the hell out of me until i am back at it. Drives the gf crazy.

10. Apr 15, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    What do you think of the new frequency response? Better than before?

11. Apr 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    Sounds a lot better. I ended up building another box yesterday with the proper tune, and port dimensions so i don't get the port noise since i now knew what numbers i was looking for. The first box worked out good for testing even though i didn't want to resort to building another one. Thanks for the help.

12. Apr 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    same here. i always feel like other people systems are louder than mines.

Products Discussed in

To Top