Notices

Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
jrookie is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
jrookie's Tacoma Gallery
Djarmpit, i have a 2013 tacoma with the touch screen and had the same thoughts as you. I currently have all jl component speakers, with 8 inch sub, jl 600/6 amp with jl cleansweep. The set up sounds great and i would highly recommend the cleansweep if you choose to keep the factory head unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers-img_0526.jpg   Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers-img_0524.jpg   Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers-img_0528.jpg   Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers-img_0530.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
Djarmpit is on a distinguished road
Djarmpit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrookie View Post
Djarmpit, i have a 2013 tacoma with the touch screen and had the same thoughts as you. I currently have all jl component speakers, with 8 inch sub, jl 600/6 amp with jl cleansweep. The set up sounds great and i would highly recommend the cleansweep if you choose to keep the factory head unit.

That's awesome! How much did all of that run you?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting place to put the rear tweeter.....
Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #24

Firefighter:
jrookie's Tacoma Gallery
All together with install plus dynamat about 1800. I thought putting the rear tweeters high like that might bother anyone in the back seat, but turns out its not loud at all. IMO its a great place to put them.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #25
Quote:
All together with install plus dynamat about 1800. I thought putting the rear tweeters high like that might bother anyone in the back seat, but turns out its not loud at all. IMO its a great place to put them.
Awesome dude! Did you do it yourself or get it done at a shop?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #26
Simon SEZ
slcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Simon
slcsez2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
$1,800 is a lot to spend on a system and not even get a new head unit!!!! That is a little out of my price range but good thing you live in Jax. Maybe we can get together sometime so I can hear how it sounds...I have been going back an forth to change the HU or not. How much dynamat did you use and where, just the doors? Can you tell a difference? I have installed many systems in my day but never used sound deadener nor heard a vehicle with it. I just wonder if it is that noticeable for the cost.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #27
Simon SEZ
slcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
$1,800 is a lot to spend on a system and not even get a new head unit!!!! That is a little out of my price range but good thing you live in Jax. Maybe we can get together sometime so I can hear how it sounds...I have been going back an forth to change the HU or not. How much dynamat did you use and where, just the doors? Can you tell a difference? I have installed many systems in my day but never used sound deadener nor heard a vehicle with it. I just wonder if it is that noticeable for the cost.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #28

Firefighter:
jrookie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarmpit View Post
Awesome dude! Did you do it yourself or get it done at a shop?
Had a local shop with a good rep install for me.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #29

Firefighter:
jrookie's Tacoma Gallery
Ya Slcsez2000 the dynamat does make a difference! Especially with wind/road noise on the interstate. I have all four doors done with the rear pannel as well. Pm me sometime if you would like to check it out.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #30
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
it also has a nice feature of automatically turning on and off without the need of running a remote line. it also has a switched output to switch your amp on and off.
so im not sure if this is any help to you or just a wast of my time lol but hopefully someone will find it informational

the high to low processor

the knob to adjust sub output that i mounted where the 4x4 switch is usualy located

and of coarse the custom sub box

Mike when you say it has a switched output, you mean ithis can turn my amp on ? No need to run a remote turn on wire from the headunit ?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
one35i is on a distinguished road
one35i's Tacoma Gallery
I just did most of what you are asking about (no sub) and am having real problems with noise through the speakers with power to the stock HU off. I am hoping my install guys can fix the issue. The factory HU has no provision to shut the amp off, so when the power is off, the amp hisses through the speakers. We started with a Rockford Fosgate amp, switched to a low noise JL (?) amp, which improved things some. Next we will try another Rockford Fosgate amp with variable DC something or another (sorry, I'm not a stereo guy) and see if that eliminates the problem. As a final resort, we may need to install a toggle switch to shut the amp off. Here is a link to my post:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...head-unit.html

BTW, I am $1400 into this with no solution as of yet. Hope this helps you decide.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #32
Simon SEZ

Quote:
Ya Slcsez2000 the dynamat does make a difference! Especially with wind/road noise on the interstate. I have all four doors done with the rear pannel as well. Pm me sometime if you would like to check it out.
I will def have to hit you up sometime, I am very interested in this before I rip mine apart to know how much it helps.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
I did my setup with a factory HU for 600 installed. Details are in my build thread. It thumps hard and sounds great. If you are in the Orange County area of Cali I can give you the name of the shop that did my install.

I am in Orange County! Could you please send me the name of the shop?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #36
Quote:
Car Stereo and Alarm in Brea CA it is on Brea blvd between Imperial HWY and Bastenchury
When you bought the speakers off tacotunes, is the price meant for one speaker or did you get two? Thanks
Old 05-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #38
Quote:
Its for 4 actually. The Image dynamics components are 2 mid-range speakers and 2 tweeters in the box along with crossovers for each side.

Damn that sounds like a really good deal

Products Discussed in this Thread