1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Djarmpit, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Apr 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    Djarmpit

Djarmpit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was wondering if anyone's had any problems with their sound quality when keeping the stock head unit and installing a sub and speakers! I've heard I should I replace my head unit along with the installation or a sound system but I really like the '13 unit and wouldn't want a new one! Thanks!

2. Apr 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM
    fletch97

fletch97 Professional Window Licker

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    You won't find many people who can help since it's not a recommended setup. The stock head unit is really crap! (Sorry, not trying to insult.) The power output on it is so weak, and it's range is pitiful. You'd get better sound leaving the stock speakers and replacing the head unit.

I am sorry I can't directly address your question, I am just chiming in to perhaps sway your decision into a more positive direction. I truly believe you will be happier going in a different direction. It's just my opinion, good luck with either direction you choose to go in.

3. Apr 16, 2013 at 5:26 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. Apr 16, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    thelivestone

thelivestone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax
    stock for now
    just get a better head unit..... it will make your life way easier for all your car audio needs. you can find one for a pretty good price online. a few members work at audio shops too they could help ya out.

5. Apr 16, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    It can be done and sound good with a stock headunit . You'll just have to spend alittle extra $ on good quality amps for the highs and subs , and buy nice set componet speaker sets .

6. Apr 16, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Not a fan of the digital to analog factory sound processors only because you use their volume knob but if you want a good sounding factory head unit they are a must.

7. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    devanb3

devanb3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devan
    hampstead
    you can keep stock unit with speakers without any loss in power or output; however, it wont sound any better so its kind of a waist unless you put an amp... but subs wont sound good because it doesnt have a sup pre amp output then you must install an LOC which takes the output to one of your speakers to tell the sub when to hit. this can sound ok at times but can be delayed and sound off at times. if you do go this rought id strongly recommend going from the rear passenger speaker with the LOC due to the fact that it is the only mono speaker in most cars and will allow for the best sound.

8. Apr 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    Djarmpit

Member:
    I could go stock head unit > separate amps > sub/speakers.....right?

9. Apr 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    That's the route I'm familiar with , don't know much about the sound cleaners like the jl clean sweep.

10. Apr 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    Djarmpit

Member:
  11. Apr 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    If your considering that option read into it. I think you might have to use the volume control that comes with the cleansweep, i dont really know the details. Alot of aftermarket headunits can still be controlled with the steering wheel controls but you have to buy another wiring harness, im not sure if that is available on the 2013s but a quick call or email to crutchfields and they will tell you what will and will not work. If you do go aftermarket im sure you could sell your stock headunit on this site for a good chunk of change.

12. Apr 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  13. Apr 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    Djarmpit

Member:
    Thanks guys I'm gonna go ahead and buy the clean sweep!

14. Apr 17, 2013 at 12:09 AM
    savage

savage Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 2wd TRD Tacoma
    I just bought the LC7I and I had a few questions on how to hook it up.

I am using the stock head unit with a set of Polk component speakers MM6501, Polk sub MM10, and a Polk amp 5000.5

How do i get the inputs from the stock head unit to the LC7I? I plan on putting the LC7I under the passenger seat. Is there a harness I should purchase?

I was using a diagram from another post to understand the inputs:

What is used for channel 2 since i am only going to be using the front speakers. Do I need to disconnect the crappy speakers in the roof?

What is used for channel 3(Sub) out of the head unit?

What wire is remote OUT from the head unit?

What wire is remote IN from the head unit?

Is +12V on the LC7I Ignition or battery?

What wire is remote out from the head unit?

Main Input

Left: + white - white/black
    Right: + gray - gray/black

Channel 2
    Left: + ? - ?
    Right: + ? - ?

Channel 3 (sub)
    Left: + ? - ?
    Right: + ? - ?

Other
    Remote Out: ?
    Remote In: ?
    +12: ?
    Ground: black?

I am a noob at this and trying to learn all I can, thanks in advance for any help!

Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 11.44.03 PM.jpg
    AudioControl-LC7i-GRAY-3T.jpg

15. Apr 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Cant help to much with the wiring but as far as the placement under the passnagers seat i know a cool little trick to secure something to the floor, very simple, this is what i did with my amp. Go buy one of those rolls of velcro that have the sticky side on the back. Stick the velcro to the underside of the unit and it will grip the carpet very well. Youll see only one side of the velcro will work, the type with the "hooks" you will be suprised how well it stays in place.

16. Apr 19, 2013 at 4:39 AM
    fergsonfire

fergsonfire Electrical Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    If you haven't already, don't buy the clean sweep. It is pretty craptastic. If you want factory integration go with an LC6i, LC8i (JBL system), or a JBL MS8. Each of those will give you line level conversion and be able to run amps off of them. The JBL MS8 adds an eq and tuning features. I did this exact thing in my Tundra with Nav running an LC8i to a JL HD900/5 with components in the doors and a stealthbox. I just bought a Taco Monday and plan on running the MS8 this time to have the extra eq features. I would not trust the clean sweep and clearly I am not against JL products as I plan on running the HD900/5 again. It's an awesome amp.

17. Apr 19, 2013 at 5:10 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Replacing the speakers and adding a sub without replacing the headunit is like buying a new racing bike and reusing your old beach cruiser seat. Save up, and do it right. You'll be much happier in the long run!

18. Apr 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    please let me know how these stock head units sound after you get through adding all the stuff to it...

19. Apr 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    The sound is great...only problem is precise tuning...can't do it. My stereo system sounded great...aftermarket hu made it show quality.

20. Apr 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Mikie

Mikie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB MGM
    i dont know if ill be much help with this...but more info the better right??
    i have my stock head unit and stock speakers. i used AudioControl LC2i to get the low end signal. you simply tap into the two rear speakers and it processes the mid range into low range. it also has a nice feature of automatically turning on and off without the need of running a remote line. it also has a switched output to switch your amp on and off. there are 3 different knobs to best tune the system on top of whats available on the sub amp for tuning. it then has a remote knob the adjust the sub output in the fly since the stock head unit obviously doesnt have a sub level adjustment.

my alpine 10in hits harder then it did when it has hooked up in my old truck connected to an Alpine head unit! and it does not rob any power from the rear speakers what so ever! i couldnt bee happier with the outcome

so im not sure if this is any help to you or just a wast of my time lol but hopefully someone will find it informational

the high to low processor
    [​IMG]

the knob to adjust sub output that i mounted where the 4x4 switch is usualy located
    [​IMG]

and of coarse the custom sub box
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top