Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Djarmpit is on a distinguished road
Djarmpit's Tacoma Gallery
Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers

I was wondering if anyone's had any problems with their sound quality when keeping the stock head unit and installing a sub and speakers! I've heard I should I replace my head unit along with the installation or a sound system but I really like the '13 unit and wouldn't want a new one! Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Professional Window Licker
fletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
fletch97's Tacoma Gallery
You won't find many people who can help since it's not a recommended setup. The stock head unit is really crap! (Sorry, not trying to insult.) The power output on it is so weak, and it's range is pitiful. You'd get better sound leaving the stock speakers and replacing the head unit.

I am sorry I can't directly address your question, I am just chiming in to perhaps sway your decision into a more positive direction. I truly believe you will be happier going in a different direction. It's just my opinion, good luck with either direction you choose to go in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarmpit View Post
I was wondering if anyone's had any problems with their sound quality when keeping the stock head unit and installing a sub and speakers! I've heard I should I replace my head unit along with the installation or a sound system but I really like the '13 unit and wouldn't want a new one! Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Get a jl cleansweep if you want to keep the stock unit and add an amp and improve SQ

http://jlaudio-mobile.shptron.com/c/...ation?mobile=1

Or one of these, i think it is basiclly the same thing

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...-AccuBASS.html
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech
Name: paul
thelivestone's Tacoma Gallery
just get a better head unit..... it will make your life way easier for all your car audio needs. you can find one for a pretty good price online. a few members work at audio shops too they could help ya out.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
It can be done and sound good with a stock headunit . You'll just have to spend alittle extra $ on good quality amps for the highs and subs , and buy nice set componet speaker sets .
Old 04-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Not a fan of the digital to analog factory sound processors only because you use their volume knob but if you want a good sounding factory head unit they are a must.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
devanb3 is on a distinguished road
Name: devan
devanb3's Tacoma Gallery
you can keep stock unit with speakers without any loss in power or output; however, it wont sound any better so its kind of a waist unless you put an amp... but subs wont sound good because it doesnt have a sup pre amp output then you must install an LOC which takes the output to one of your speakers to tell the sub when to hit. this can sound ok at times but can be delayed and sound off at times. if you do go this rought id strongly recommend going from the rear passenger speaker with the LOC due to the fact that it is the only mono speaker in most cars and will allow for the best sound.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
I could go stock head unit > separate amps > sub/speakers.....right?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I could go stock head unit > separate amps > sub/speakers.....right?
That's the route I'm familiar with , don't know much about the sound cleaners like the jl clean sweep.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Get a jl cleansweep if you want to keep the stock unit and add an amp and improve SQ

http://jlaudio-mobile.shptron.com/c/...ation?mobile=1

Or one of these, i think it is basiclly the same thing

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...-AccuBASS.html

This looks like an awesome device! Thanks for introducing it to me haha. I really didn't want to lose my steering wheel controls.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
This looks like an awesome device! Thanks for introducing it to me haha. I really didn't want to lose my steering wheel controls.
If your considering that option read into it. I think you might have to use the volume control that comes with the cleansweep, i dont really know the details. Alot of aftermarket headunits can still be controlled with the steering wheel controls but you have to buy another wiring harness, im not sure if that is available on the 2013s but a quick call or email to crutchfields and they will tell you what will and will not work. If you do go aftermarket im sure you could sell your stock headunit on this site for a good chunk of change.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
Thanks guys I'm gonna go ahead and buy the clean sweep!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
savage is on a distinguished road
savage's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the LC7I and I had a few questions on how to hook it up.

I am using the stock head unit with a set of Polk component speakers MM6501, Polk sub MM10, and a Polk amp 5000.5

How do i get the inputs from the stock head unit to the LC7I? I plan on putting the LC7I under the passenger seat. Is there a harness I should purchase?

I was using a diagram from another post to understand the inputs:

What is used for channel 2 since i am only going to be using the front speakers. Do I need to disconnect the crappy speakers in the roof?

What is used for channel 3(Sub) out of the head unit?

What wire is remote OUT from the head unit?

What wire is remote IN from the head unit?

Is +12V on the LC7I Ignition or battery?

What wire is remote out from the head unit?

Main Input

Left: + white - white/black
Right: + gray - gray/black

Channel 2
Left: + ? - ?
Right: + ? - ?

Channel 3 (sub)
Left: + ? - ?
Right: + ? - ?

Other
Remote Out: ?
Remote In: ?
+12: ?
Ground: black?

I am a noob at this and trying to learn all I can, thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers-screen-shot-2013-04-16-11.44.03-pm.png   Keeping stock head unit with aftermarket subs and speakers-audiocontrol-lc7i-gray-3t.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #15

Cant help to much with the wiring but as far as the placement under the passnagers seat i know a cool little trick to secure something to the floor, very simple, this is what i did with my amp. Go buy one of those rolls of velcro that have the sticky side on the back. Stick the velcro to the underside of the unit and it will grip the carpet very well. Youll see only one side of the velcro will work, the type with the "hooks" you will be suprised how well it stays in place.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
fergsonfire is on a distinguished road
Navy: Former Ensign, USN
Name: Kyle
fergsonfire's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't already, don't buy the clean sweep. It is pretty craptastic. If you want factory integration go with an LC6i, LC8i (JBL system), or a JBL MS8. Each of those will give you line level conversion and be able to run amps off of them. The JBL MS8 adds an eq and tuning features. I did this exact thing in my Tundra with Nav running an LC8i to a JL HD900/5 with components in the doors and a stealthbox. I just bought a Taco Monday and plan on running the MS8 this time to have the extra eq features. I would not trust the clean sweep and clearly I am not against JL products as I plan on running the HD900/5 again. It's an awesome amp.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #17
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing the speakers and adding a sub without replacing the headunit is like buying a new racing bike and reusing your old beach cruiser seat. Save up, and do it right. You'll be much happier in the long run!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Mikie is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
Mikie's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know if ill be much help with this...but more info the better right??
i have my stock head unit and stock speakers. i used AudioControl LC2i to get the low end signal. you simply tap into the two rear speakers and it processes the mid range into low range. it also has a nice feature of automatically turning on and off without the need of running a remote line. it also has a switched output to switch your amp on and off. there are 3 different knobs to best tune the system on top of whats available on the sub amp for tuning. it then has a remote knob the adjust the sub output in the fly since the stock head unit obviously doesnt have a sub level adjustment.

my alpine 10in hits harder then it did when it has hooked up in my old truck connected to an Alpine head unit! and it does not rob any power from the rear speakers what so ever! i couldnt bee happier with the outcome

so im not sure if this is any help to you or just a wast of my time lol but hopefully someone will find it informational

the high to low processor

the knob to adjust sub output that i mounted where the 4x4 switch is usualy located

and of coarse the custom sub box

Products Discussed in this Thread