1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on audio system installation cost - 2010 DC

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Biscuits, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Apr 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    Biscuits

Biscuits [OP] Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    So far, my potential system will consist of the following:
    Morel Tempo 6.5” (tweeter custom mounted in the A-Pillar) in the front & no rear speakers
    Digital Designs 6cs x 2 for subs – I want that fast tight bass
    Phoenix Gold mono amp for subs
    Phoenix Gold 600.4 for components
    Pioneer 80PRS HU
    Steering wheel control interface
    Antennae adapter
    Wiring harness
    RCAs & assorted wiring

Here’s the thing, the installer wants $950 to install everything, including building and installing the amp rack, sub box (it’ll take the place of the under-rear-seat cubby storage), the new A-Pillars, and parts. Maybe I’m just out of it, but $950 seems awfully steep. What are y’alls opinions? Unfortunately and as much as I’d like to, doing this myself is not an option. Between family and work, I have precious little time for anything.
    Thanks!

2. Apr 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    For mine I had:

Kenwood head unit
    2 amps
    2 6x9's for the doors.
    2 subs in boxes.

I had the dash and wiring kit for the radio, no other hardware.

Was $350 all in all.

You're basically paying $600 for the steering wheel interface (do you have it and just need it installed?), the custom tweeter mount (unless he's doing something crazy it's not that much work), building and making the amp rack and box.

The box can easily run 250 or more right there so this may not be a bad price.

And I relate, I would have preferred to do mine but 2 jobs and caring for my father in law leaves me barely time to scratch my head.

I'd ask the guy for a breakdown of what it all costs..only way to know for sure.

3. Apr 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Biscuits

Member:
    It's tough undertaking big projects like this when you and the ol' lady work ~60 hours a week and have a young child to take care of, hence the need to have all this professionally installed. I don't have any of the hardware, so the installer is supplying everything. Basically, I'm being charged for following:
    • $300 in labor + $100 in parts for the box (and I'm assuming other crap)
    • $200 to install the components
    • $225 to build and install the amp rack/two amps
    • $80 to install the HU, harness, adapter, & steering wheel interface
    This could be completely reasonable, but I just wanted to get second opinions before I pull the trigger.

Again, thanks!

4. Apr 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Wait I may of read this wrong (long day at work).

They are trying to charge you 900+ dollars JUST for the install? Or does that come with the equipment as well?

If you came to me to install all this and had all the equipment, I just needed to build the box/amp rack and get the little things to connect everything, 400$-500$ max.

5. Apr 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    The A pillars are not going to be cheap, no matter where you go. If it is reputable and quality work, it would be worth it.

6. Apr 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    Biscuits

Member:
    The ~$900 is just for the install. That price doesn't include the equipment.

I've seen the work performed by the guy who is going to do the install, and it's good solid work. I completely understand that I'll pay more for better installation quality and I'm okay with that, but again, $900?

7. Apr 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    What is he doing with the a-pillars? Fiberglass and a custom mount?

I've seen shops here say "custom mount for tweeters" and they just take the piller off, cut a hold with a hold saw and mount it.

To me it seems kinda high still but maybe where you are at there isn't a lot of options?

8. Apr 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    Biscuits

Member:
    He's going to fiberglass and custom mount.

I live in Houston, so there are plenty of shops, but very few that I'm familiar with. Most of the places around here have horror stories attached to them. This place has a fairly good reputation.

9. Apr 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Ok doing the A-pillars then is a bigger deal. I don't do fiberglass work so I can quote you on that part. Sounding like 900$ might not be so bad considering all the work, still seems kinda high.

Why not post on the Houston local thread and see if someone can help you do it in their garage? It will save you tons of cash.

10. Apr 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    Biscuits

Member:
    Thanks for you help. That's a great idea but I just have to find the time, which isn't promising anytime soon. Maybe when the little one goes off to camp during the summer...

11. Apr 19, 2013 at 4:44 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    1. That is NOT high for what you are having done.
    2. I live in Houston... what shop is doing the work and who is the installer?

I mean really guys... asking if that includes parts. WTF? My amp cost more than $950.00 retail. My head unit was more than $950.00 by itself too. Hell my speakers were $900.00 too. My sound deadening cost about $900.00 for all labor and materials. Custom A pillars, sub box, amp rack, full install, for $950? Not a bad price for what all you are getting IF AND ONLY IF you are getting a high quality install.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  12. Apr 19, 2013 at 5:11 AM
    Biscuits

Member:
    That's why I'm asking for people's input. From this board and talking to other people, the labor cost is roughly reasonable as long as (like you said), the install is top notch.

13. Apr 19, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    This is the reason why I only buy from my local car audio shop who I've trusted for many many years. As long as I buy my junk from them. The install is free and no tax. Sure I pay retail but labor, wiring, misc, warranty, tax and etc is extra money. Custom box, custom A pillar, labor, wiring is going to cost you some pretty chunk of change especially if they warrant their install and do custom work just not slap stuff on and leave wires hanging out there. I say the box and amp rack alone will be about $250-$300, A pillar will be another $100-$150 plus at least $75 per hour for the install at 6 to 8 hours plus wiring. What I would do is ask them for a better price and in return you will be a future customer and will refer customers to them.

Products Discussed in

To Top