Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Advice on audio system installation cost - 2010 DC

Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Advice on audio system installation cost - 2010 DC

So far, my potential system will consist of the following:
Morel Tempo 6.5 (tweeter custom mounted in the A-Pillar) in the front & no rear speakers
Digital Designs 6cs x 2 for subs I want that fast tight bass
Phoenix Gold mono amp for subs
Phoenix Gold 600.4 for components
Pioneer 80PRS HU
Steering wheel control interface
Antennae adapter
Wiring harness
RCAs & assorted wiring

Heres the thing, the installer wants $950 to install everything, including building and installing the amp rack, sub box (itll take the place of the under-rear-seat cubby storage), the new A-Pillars, and parts. Maybe Im just out of it, but $950 seems awfully steep. What are yalls opinions? Unfortunately and as much as Id like to, doing this myself is not an option. Between family and work, I have precious little time for anything.
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
For mine I had:

Kenwood head unit
2 amps
2 6x9's for the doors.
2 subs in boxes.

I had the dash and wiring kit for the radio, no other hardware.

Was $350 all in all.

You're basically paying $600 for the steering wheel interface (do you have it and just need it installed?), the custom tweeter mount (unless he's doing something crazy it's not that much work), building and making the amp rack and box.

The box can easily run 250 or more right there so this may not be a bad price.

And I relate, I would have preferred to do mine but 2 jobs and caring for my father in law leaves me barely time to scratch my head.

I'd ask the guy for a breakdown of what it all costs..only way to know for sure.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
For mine I had:

Kenwood head unit
2 amps
2 6x9's for the doors.
2 subs in boxes.

I had the dash and wiring kit for the radio, no other hardware.

Was $350 all in all.

You're basically paying $600 for the steering wheel interface (do you have it and just need it installed?), the custom tweeter mount (unless he's doing something crazy it's not that much work), building and making the amp rack and box.

The box can easily run 250 or more right there so this may not be a bad price.

And I relate, I would have preferred to do mine but 2 jobs and caring for my father in law leaves me barely time to scratch my head.

I'd ask the guy for a breakdown of what it all costs..only way to know for sure.
It's tough undertaking big projects like this when you and the ol' lady work ~60 hours a week and have a young child to take care of, hence the need to have all this professionally installed. I don't have any of the hardware, so the installer is supplying everything. Basically, I'm being charged for following:
  • $300 in labor + $100 in parts for the box (and I'm assuming other crap)
  • $200 to install the components
  • $225 to build and install the amp rack/two amps
  • $80 to install the HU, harness, adapter, & steering wheel interface
This could be completely reasonable, but I just wanted to get second opinions before I pull the trigger.

Again, thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Wait I may of read this wrong (long day at work).

They are trying to charge you 900+ dollars JUST for the install? Or does that come with the equipment as well?

If you came to me to install all this and had all the equipment, I just needed to build the box/amp rack and get the little things to connect everything, 400$-500$ max.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Senior Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Wait I may of read this wrong (long day at work).

They are trying to charge you 900+ dollars JUST for the install? Or does that come with the equipment as well?

If you came to me to install all this and had all the equipment, I just needed to build the box/amp rack and get the little things to connect everything, 400$-500$ max.
The ~$900 is just for the install. That price doesn't include the equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeMan View Post
The A pillars are not going to be cheap, no matter where you go. If it is reputable and quality work, it would be worth it.
I've seen the work performed by the guy who is going to do the install, and it's good solid work. I completely understand that I'll pay more for better installation quality and I'm okay with that, but again, $900?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
What is he doing with the a-pillars? Fiberglass and a custom mount?

I've seen shops here say "custom mount for tweeters" and they just take the piller off, cut a hold with a hold saw and mount it.

To me it seems kinda high still but maybe where you are at there isn't a lot of options?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Senior Injector

Quote:
What is he doing with the a-pillars? Fiberglass and a custom mount?

I've seen shops here say "custom mount for tweeters" and they just take the piller off, cut a hold with a hold saw and mount it.

To me it seems kinda high still but maybe where you are at there isn't a lot of options?
He's going to fiberglass and custom mount.

I live in Houston, so there are plenty of shops, but very few that I'm familiar with. Most of the places around here have horror stories attached to them. This place has a fairly good reputation.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Ok doing the A-pillars then is a bigger deal. I don't do fiberglass work so I can quote you on that part. Sounding like 900$ might not be so bad considering all the work, still seems kinda high.

Why not post on the Houston local thread and see if someone can help you do it in their garage? It will save you tons of cash.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Senior Injector

Quote:
Ok doing the A-pillars then is a bigger deal. I don't do fiberglass work so I can quote you on that part. Sounding like 900$ might not be so bad considering all the work, still seems kinda high.

Why not post on the Houston local thread and see if someone can help you do it in their garage? It will save you tons of cash.
Thanks for you help. That's a great idea but I just have to find the time, which isn't promising anytime soon. Maybe when the little one goes off to camp during the summer...
Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
1. That is NOT high for what you are having done.
2. I live in Houston... what shop is doing the work and who is the installer?

I mean really guys... asking if that includes parts. WTF? My amp cost more than $950.00 retail. My head unit was more than $950.00 by itself too. Hell my speakers were $900.00 too. My sound deadening cost about $900.00 for all labor and materials. Custom A pillars, sub box, amp rack, full install, for $950? Not a bad price for what all you are getting IF AND ONLY IF you are getting a high quality install.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
Senior Injector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Custom A pillars, sub box, amp rack, full install, for $950? Not a bad price for what all you are getting IF AND ONLY IF you are getting a high quality install.
That's why I'm asking for people's input. From this board and talking to other people, the labor cost is roughly reasonable as long as (like you said), the install is top notch.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
This is the reason why I only buy from my local car audio shop who I've trusted for many many years. As long as I buy my junk from them. The install is free and no tax. Sure I pay retail but labor, wiring, misc, warranty, tax and etc is extra money. Custom box, custom A pillar, labor, wiring is going to cost you some pretty chunk of change especially if they warrant their install and do custom work just not slap stuff on and leave wires hanging out there. I say the box and amp rack alone will be about $250-$300, A pillar will be another $100-$150 plus at least $75 per hour for the install at 6 to 8 hours plus wiring. What I would do is ask them for a better price and in return you will be a future customer and will refer customers to them.