Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

RF or Polk Speakers?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
RF or Polk Speakers?

I'm debating between the

Rockford Fosgate T165-S 6.5" Power Series Car Audio Component Speakers

or the

Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System

The Polks have more positive reviews but I'm not sure if it's just because the price is lower.

I want to do this right and do it once - which ones to go with? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to do it "right and do it ONCE" then you'd be doing it wrong by going with either of those speakers. I don't mean to offend you but I really just want to keep you from making a decision you might regret. Or worse yet, having spent similar money you could have gotten WAY MORE for the same coin.

These Focal 165A1's are on clearance at Car Toys. Might be a great option for you.
http://www.cartoys.com/products/prod...s/Focal_165A1/
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
MassAppeal16 is on a distinguished road
MassAppeal16's Tacoma Gallery
I have been going back and forth between Polk and JL, but recently read up on Focal. They are more expensive, but from all that I have read they seem to be worth it.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
If you want to do it "right and do it ONCE" then you'd be doing it wrong by going with either of those speakers. I don't mean to offend you but I really just want to keep you from making a decision you might regret. Or worse yet, having spent similar money you could have gotten WAY MORE for the same coin.

These Focal 165A1's are on clearance at Car Toys. Might be a great option for you.
This.. RF and Polk are not known for being great quality sounding speakers. Focals FTW!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post

^^^Listen to him...
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Not that I don't believe you guys but could someone educate me on this?

Like reasoning.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, sold out at that price! New ones are coming in at 240.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
The Polk DB series speakers are budget friendly but not great sound quality. I had the Polk MM6501 in my old truck and they sounded awesome. Even better than the infinity speakers I had before them. The JL speakers aren't as impressive as their subs, so I would avoid them. Focal are great speakers but I will go as far as saying my MM6501 sounded comparable for all genres of music. If you aren't putting an amp on them and upgrading the head unit, your speakers are only as good as the factory head unit sound quality (poor at best).
Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Amp and headunit are going on.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJDub View Post
Not that I don't believe you guys but could someone educate me on this?

Like reasoning.
Same reason a Geo Metro can't keep up with a Lambo.

They are both cars right? They both run no gas, have tires, engines, etc, etc..

One is just better built by leaps and bounds and has better materials in it.

This goes the same for speakers.

Here is some info on speakers: (yes its for home speakers but it gives you an idea)

http://www.techhive.com/article/2000...n-another.html
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
What about a 10" sub. JL ok?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
maytagworker is on a distinguished road
maytagworker's Tacoma Gallery
just put a 10" alpine type-r in mine and loving it
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
i have that polk system in my truck along with the matching 6.5 speakers in the rears and it is one of the best sounding systems I've ever heard. having them hooked up to a good amp is also a plus. the speakers haven't once distorted or lost clarity. no matter how loud i play them. put it this way, my cousin who is a top of the line JL audio only type of guy approved of the system.. a 10 or 12 in sub will make a world of difference too.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #14
2012SilverSport is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: NAVENG Warrant Officer
2012SilverSport's Tacoma Gallery
Get what you like the sound of best. It is your truck, your money and your ears that are going to listen to it. I had the option to go with more expensive speakers and spent months before I decided on which speakers to go with. I did end up with Polk. They are quality speakers that sound good in our trucks. these are the ones that I have installed. there are more pics in my profile. there is a huge defference in sound quality, clarity and overall power from these speakers. You will not be disappointed if you do what is best for you!
Attached Thumbnails
RF or Polk Speakers?-img_1028.jpg   RF or Polk Speakers?-img_1042.jpg   RF or Polk Speakers?-img_1045.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
gtrplr is on a distinguished road
gtrplr's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished installing the polk db6501's in the front, no rear fill, and two fosgate shallow 10's in the back beind the rear seat. I first had the polk's connected to a kenwood 60 watt rms amp and it sounded ok but clipping began at an unacceptable volume level so I bought a fosgate 550.2 amp so now i have 150 watts to each insead. It sounds INCREDIBLE and I cannot make it distort unless I stand next to the truck because it gets VERY VERY loud. I have not heard focals before but I can tell you that knowing what I know now I would have bought the focals for the price if I had it to do over but you cannot go wrong with the polk speakers as long as you get enough power to them. I'm sure that is true with focals too so worry more about getting atleast recommended rms power to whatever you buy. If you like it loud get a bigger amp then rms output so that you avoid clipping which is what will kill the speakers.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplr View Post
I just finished installing the polk db6501's in the front, no rear fill, and two fosgate shallow 10's in the back beind the rear seat. I first had the polk's connected to a kenwood 60 watt rms amp and it sounded ok but clipping began at an unacceptable volume level so I bought a fosgate 550.2 amp so now i have 150 watts to each insead. It sounds INCREDIBLE and I cannot make it distort unless I stand next to the truck because it gets VERY VERY loud. I have not heard focals before but I can tell you that knowing what I know now I would have bought the focals for the price if I had it to do over but you cannot go wrong with the polk speakers as long as you get enough power to them. I'm sure that is true with focals too so worry more about getting atleast recommended rms power to whatever you buy. If you like it loud get a bigger amp then rms output so that you avoid clipping which is what will kill the speakers.
Once you hear Focals you'll change your mind about Polks.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't have good luck with the one set of Polks that I tried out. I'll most likely never give Polk (or Kenwood) a second chance, car or home audio. RF is hit and miss in my opinion. Right now I like Alpine or JBL for budget friendly installations and Focal or Hertz for intermediate installations. I'm not sure what I'd recommend for full retard installs.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytone View Post
I didn't have good luck with the one set of Polks that I tried out. I'll most likely never give Polk (or Kenwood) a second chance, car or home audio. RF is hit and miss in my opinion. Right now I like Alpine or JBL for budget friendly installations and Focal or Hertz for intermediate installations. I'm not sure what I'd recommend for full retard installs.
Hertz are awesome speakers as well. Great SQ speakers IMO.