Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

External HDD for 2013 JBL HU

Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
krameraxeman is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
krameraxeman's Tacoma Gallery
External HDD for 2013 JBL HU

I just picked up a 2013 double cab with the JBL/NAV/Entune head unit. I came from a for with Ford Sync where I had a 500 GB usb drive connected to it. I connected the drive to my Toyota and the stereo wouldn't browse the music on it in the correct order. It works fine when I connect my iPhone.

Can anyone tell me if external usb hard drives are supported and if so, how to format it correctly?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this is the same thing or not since I don't have Entune, or Sync, but I have run into an issue with a HDD and a USB stick with Pioneer HUs. The USB implementation on the Pioneers will read the USB device with the files indexed by date, not name. Pioneer knew about this, but wouldn't fix it, they just recommended a freeware utility that would reorder the indices on the USB device such that it read out in alpha order. Note also that the iPhone/Pad/Touch/etc worked fine since the HU used the i*'s onboard services to display the contents, not an index generated by the HU.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
krameraxeman is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
krameraxeman's Tacoma Gallery
It's weird. The HU won't read any of my file's ID3 tags. I get the song name, but no artist, album or genre. When I try to browse the hard drive on my HU, all songs are listed alphabetically. It doesn't list out by artist, album, etc. I know my ID3 tags are correct. I even ran a script to delete any non mp3 files from the drive. No help. It seems like the HU reads a apple index of some sort when using a iphone/ipod, but I can't find any info on this.

I'd definitely appreciate any advise on this.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
No more advise, but have you tried a thumb drive to see if it does the same thing?