1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

External HDD for 2013 JBL HU

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by krameraxeman, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Apr 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    krameraxeman

krameraxeman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Mission Viejo
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    Fox Performance Elite shocks, Icon UCA's, Deaver Leaf Packs, Method Mesh 17" wheels, Toyo RT LT285/70/17's, Demello Sliders, FrontRunner Racks, Rigd UltraSwing, Snugtop Ultravision Cap, desert pinstripes
    I just picked up a 2013 double cab with the JBL/NAV/Entune head unit. I came from a for with Ford Sync where I had a 500 GB usb drive connected to it. I connected the drive to my Toyota and the stereo wouldn't browse the music on it in the correct order. It works fine when I connect my iPhone.

Can anyone tell me if external usb hard drives are supported and if so, how to format it correctly?

2. Apr 23, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Not sure if this is the same thing or not since I don't have Entune, or Sync, but I have run into an issue with a HDD and a USB stick with Pioneer HUs. The USB implementation on the Pioneers will read the USB device with the files indexed by date, not name. Pioneer knew about this, but wouldn't fix it, they just recommended a freeware utility that would reorder the indices on the USB device such that it read out in alpha order. Note also that the iPhone/Pad/Touch/etc worked fine since the HU used the i*'s onboard services to display the contents, not an index generated by the HU.

3. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    krameraxeman

krameraxeman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Mission Viejo
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    Fox Performance Elite shocks, Icon UCA's, Deaver Leaf Packs, Method Mesh 17" wheels, Toyo RT LT285/70/17's, Demello Sliders, FrontRunner Racks, Rigd UltraSwing, Snugtop Ultravision Cap, desert pinstripes
    It's weird. The HU won't read any of my file's ID3 tags. I get the song name, but no artist, album or genre. When I try to browse the hard drive on my HU, all songs are listed alphabetically. It doesn't list out by artist, album, etc. I know my ID3 tags are correct. I even ran a script to delete any non mp3 files from the drive. No help. It seems like the HU reads a apple index of some sort when using a iphone/ipod, but I can't find any info on this.

I'd definitely appreciate any advise on this.

4. Apr 25, 2013 at 4:58 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    No more advise, but have you tried a thumb drive to see if it does the same thing?

5. May 19, 2016 at 5:49 PM
    tomtomtaco

tomtomtaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    Vehicle:
    2013 pyrite sport
    trying to bump this. 2013 tacoma jbl: My pandora connection recently stopped working so i decided to use a thumb drive have a 3.0 drive that doesn't register at all suggestions?

6. May 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    You probably have formatted it incorrectly. Depending on the size, you may need to format with XFAT or FAT32. NTFS won't work.

Products Discussed in

To Top