LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Theft of receivers/head units

Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenDriveTrucks View Post
I just got a 2012 Tacoma and the audio sucks (was very surprised because I thought the SR5 had decent audio). I like the OEM deck, it's decent looking enough and has MP3 through CD and I like how it gives me the song names and such.

What I would like to do though is a few things. Just curious to know if they can be done and a few other things as well.

1st - I'd like to somehow make the USB charger actually be an input to the deck so I can play tunes from my USB stick. I can't do it myself but I could have a car audio place do it, but need to know if it can be done. I don't trust some of them. I went to one place and of course, they say you can only do it if you replace the deck. Not sure if they just want to sell me a deck or if it can't really be done with the OEM deck.

Second - I don't want a sub or amp but I would like to improve the sound somewhat. If I were to replace the speakers with quality speakers would that make much of a difference with keeping the OEM deck? Again, I asked the audio dealer and yet again, back to suggesting a $400 deck. And if by chance I did want to add a small amp to help give the new speakers some kick and higher volume - would the OEM deck do that or not. I was thinking there could be a buttom below the steering wheel or something that you could push to power on the amp for louder tunes since the volume on the OEM doesn't really go that high.

Thanks for any help guys.
You can add a usb charger, but not to the face of the deck. You can add it to one of the blank spots above the cup holders.

You can't really improve the sound of the stock HU. The stock HU is terrible. Terrible input = terrible output. You can polish a turd but its still a turd.
If you want to keep stock, look up the alpine indash amp. That's your best bet.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #22
MenDriveTrucks is on a distinguished road
MenDriveTrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
As a police officer I deal with lots of BMVs. Biggest deterent? A 2 way alarm that alerts you when someone disturbs your car. Only seen one person get broken into with this typr of alarm and when he confronted the guy he got stabbed and the perp ran off. If you get this get a gun too lol.

Second, most of the radio thiefs ARE idots who peek in windows and see a target of opportunity. They are not nearly as prepared and smart as you guys are making them out to be.

I also had someone test my alarm within the past month. They were tearing down my past complex and I was only one of about 10 prople left in it before moving to a new residence. I had someone test my bump sensor, setting off my remote, and walk away at 3:30 AM. I walked outside in my boxers with a handgun in my hand and saw a black male walking away from my truck with a hoody wearing a backpack. I had to make a decision to confront him in my skivvies or go put pants on and then find him. I put the pants on and lost him in the vacant complex when I came back out. But he did not come back.

Perp stabbed the dude? WTF did he run out there with nothing in his hands? If I think somebody breaking into my shit you better believe I'm going out there with something good. I don't own a gun but I have a nice 3 iron and an aluminum baseball bat. I'll take either of those if all the perp has is a knife.

Thieves make me sick. I think we should do what they do in the middle east. You get caught stealing, you lose your right hand. Do it again you lose the left. Those punks will have to try and smoke their crack pipe with their feet, hahaha.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
You can add a usb charger, but not to the face of the deck. You can add it to one of the blank spots above the cup holders.

You can't really improve the sound of the stock HU. The stock HU is terrible. Terrible input = terrible output. You can polish a turd but its still a turd.
If you want to keep stock, look up the alpine indash amp. That's your best bet.
I already have the USB charger. My question was is there a way to make it so it's more then a charger, to play music from it, with using the OEM deck.

Great song came on radio today and I tried to crank it up and man was I disappointed, the sound was terrible and not very loud.

Think I'm going to just have to get a new deck but I'll be getting a nice alarm as well.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenDriveTrucks View Post
I already have the USB charger. My question was is there a way to make it so it's more then a charger, to play music from it, with using the OEM deck.

Great song came on radio today and I tried to crank it up and man was I disappointed, the sound was terrible and not very loud.

Think I'm going to just have to get a new deck but I'll be getting a nice alarm as well.
There isn't any way that I've seen to integrate USB for music. I'm sure it could be done but honestly, a new HU is what you want. You want louder, a new HU will fill that need and most have USB on them now.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
The other route would be to get one of those Otto Navi units, but the reviews for those are mixed.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
I was just curious. If you go to an audio place to have your gear installed, do you think thieves target these dealers and wait for vehicles that have components installed to follow the people home so they can make the grab at night. Seems more logical then hunting around and looking into windows. I can't stand thieves but it makes sense to me that this would be one way of knowing exactly where to look for some goodies. I'll be having some work done in the next few weeks once I decide on exactly what I want and I'll be sure to look for a tail when I do so. I'll be taking the long way home with about 30 different turns just to make sure I'm free of any tail seeking my goods. Just curious if anybody else does this or maybe has found themselves having a tail after leaving an audio store once goods were installed.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #27
Bajatacoma is on a distinguished road
EMS: Remote Duty Paramedic
Bajatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I keep an old towel in the cab that I spread out over the dash and steering wheel to protect it from UV rays* and it covers the stereo (Pioneer 4200 series). And yes, the factory unit sucks as do the speakers.

*I don't really care about the dash, but lots of folks around here cover theirs so it's not suspicious looking.