Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Theft of receivers/head units

Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Theft of receivers/head units

The stock head unit on my Tacoma is driving me nuts and I'd like to upgrade it to a Kenwood or Pioneer nav receiver. However, I was surprised to learn that few of these units have any ant-theft features.

I'm wondering if theft is really an issue with these units. It seems like it would be too easy for someone to break a window and lift it out.

Are there any mods to make them more theft-proof? I considered installing it in the glove box, but it seems to be a less than ideal location.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
See my sig about thieves..lol.

I'm not familiar with the nav receivers, but bottom line is if someone wants your stuff bad enough they'll find a way to do it. I've had an aftermarket system in my vehicles since I was 18 and have never had one stolen yet.

Glove box is a real pain, think about everytime you need to use the radio having to open the box and lean over. I did one of my old cars like that but it was because I didn't want to cut up the original dash of my 77 Chevy.

What you definitely should do is once you install it, notify your insurance and have it listed. They may want to take a pic or 2 of it but it's worth your time to know they will compensate you if it does get biffed..and save your receipts.

Do you have a sliding rear window?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
See my sig about thieves..lol.

I'm not familiar with the nav receivers, but bottom line is if someone wants your stuff bad enough they'll find a way to do it. I've had an aftermarket system in my vehicles since I was 18 and have never had one stolen yet.

Glove box is a real pain, think about everytime you need to use the radio having to open the box and lean over. I did one of my old cars like that but it was because I didn't want to cut up the original dash of my 77 Chevy.

What you definitely should do is once you install it, notify your insurance and have it listed. They may want to take a pic or 2 of it but it's worth your time to know they will compensate you if it does get biffed..and save your receipts.

Do you have a sliding rear window?
Good advice. I will declare it on the insurance, but it's still a pain in the ass if someone busts open the truck. And yes, I do have a sliding rear window, but I will be getting a bar for it.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
It is a pain yes, but one you may not ever see let's hope.

Look up Mattgecko here, he sells lock bars for the slider. Mine looks like it came with the truck.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
OhYeah is on a distinguished road
OhYeah's Tacoma Gallery
Check it out...

Abracadabra.

Hahaha. works for me since I cant take off the double din. I forgot what website I got it from. The volume knob is a suction cup, but I dont actually press it on the unit so it doesnt break anything. It rests on the ledge of the dash kit perfectly.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhYeah View Post
Check it out...

Abracadabra.

Hahaha. works for me since I cant take off the double din. I forgot what website I got it from. The volume knob is a suction cup, but I dont actually press it on the unit so it doesnt break anything. It rests on the ledge of the dash kit perfectly.
Sweet. Want it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Din-C...6c1eb3&vxp=mtr

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
that cover would be good to minimize the exposure to dust for people with single din stereos that like to go out in the desert. think I'll jump on that
Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Just a tip on those covers.

They don't do jack shit. You don't think the people who steal radios for a living don't have ebay to look up these stupid things? Waste of money.

Call your insurance, get extra coverage for it, that's ALL you can do.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
OhYeah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Just a tip on those covers.

They don't do jack shit. You don't think the people who steal radios for a living don't have ebay to look up these stupid things? Waste of money.

Call your insurance, get extra coverage for it, that's ALL you can do.
Good thing i didn't "waste" YOUR money on it. Its a small thing. If it was dark, and at a glance a thief might not think about it very long. My front windows are tinted too.
Plus.... whatever. Its funny.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
People who steal radios for a living are smarter than that. Do you think they just randomly walk down the street looking into each car then bust in right then and there? Nope.. They watch the truck and learn. It's their job to steal and all these little tricks are already well known. If it was a one off, like you took the face off of some actual stock vehicle, it may work, but since everyone of those are exactly the same looking and have been out for 10+ years now, it doesn't do anything for you.

I'm glad you didn't waste my money on it and you wasted yours.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaozer View Post
The stock head unit on my Tacoma is driving me nuts and I'd like to upgrade it to a Kenwood or Pioneer nav receiver. However, I was surprised to learn that few of these units have any ant-theft features.

I'm wondering if theft is really an issue with these units. It seems like it would be too easy for someone to break a window and lift it out.

Are there any mods to make them more theft-proof? I considered installing it in the glove box, but it seems to be a less than ideal location.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Pretty easy, ask me how I know.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
OhYeah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
People who steal radios for a living are smarter than that. Do you think they just randomly walk down the street looking into each car then bust in right then and there? Nope.. They watch the truck and learn. It's their job to steal and all these little tricks are already well known. If it was a one off, like you took the face off of some actual stock vehicle, it may work, but since everyone of those are exactly the same looking and have been out for 10+ years now, it doesn't do anything for you.

I'm glad you didn't waste my money on it and you wasted yours.
Look, I'm not too worried about it. So you shouldn't worry for me.
And I'm not guna say you wasted your money on anything.. not like every mod on your truck is for function and not just aesthetics.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Those cover albeit may not do much for the professional thief could be useful in the dumb ass kid that might want to steel from you.

I now have a DD Nav unit that whole face plate can be removed. It was an expensive unit but worth every penny when the truck is parked in a sketchy place. Still you never know where that is seeing as mine when broken into was at the Redskins game in the stadium parking lot with Security and cops everywhere.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Which HU is that? ^^^^ I know Pioneer makes one now that is a DD that is removable and its pretty nice too.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Sony XAV-601bt. Its a dual din with a removable face plate. I really like it. It sounds good (way better than Sony's Xplodes from previous years) and the interface is really good too.

It doesn't come with navigation though. If you want that, then you also need an iPhone with an app called Telenav. An iPhone with this app is just the same as having navigation built in to the deck. You never have to use the phone for navigation because its all on the deck's touchscreen.

If you have an iPhone 5 and really, really want navigaion, then pass on this deck. Because iPhone 5s will only do video out with an HDMI cable, iPhone 5s won't allow you to use the Telenav app on the deck. I found this out the hard way. But since I rarely use navigation, this wasn't a big deal for me.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Member #12005
Quote:
Which HU is that? ^^^^ I know Pioneer makes one now that is a DD that is removable and its pretty nice too.
JVC NX some shit cant remember. Its a pretty awesome unit and the Nav is for the most part flawless.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
slander's Tacoma Gallery
I am now on my second head unit that has been stolen in 8yrs. Once they broke out my ext cab window, and this time my drivers side window. Sucks, im going back to stock (thats why i signed up here to buy one) and may go with one of those USB/Bluetooth adapters hidden behind the dash and hide the wires somewhere.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
WorldBFree is on a distinguished road
WorldBFree's Tacoma Gallery
My 2 cents....

I worked over 13 years as an insurance claims adjuster. I averaged about 2-3 stereo theft claims a week (1 adjuster, in 1 office, in 1 city). Spring break that would jump to about 20-30 per day. In 13 years, I never had 1 single claim for a theft of an OEM unit.

If you install an aftermarket unit/speakers in the manufacturer's intended location than you are covered if you have comprehensive coverage--you will just need to prove what you had installed (receipts). It will not cost you anything additional in premiums, You will have to pay your deductible though if you have a claim.

If you install speaker boxes, cd changers, are anything else not installed in manufacturer's intended location then you will need to purchase and additional waiver to cover those items. If it is not permanently installed in the vehicle it is not covered. (i.e. GPS unit suction cupped to your windshield)

Personally, I will never use anything other than OEM....but, to each his own.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
MenDriveTrucks is on a distinguished road
MenDriveTrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldBFree View Post
My 2 cents....

I worked over 13 years as an insurance claims adjuster. I averaged about 2-3 stereo theft claims a week (1 adjuster, in 1 office, in 1 city). Spring break that would jump to about 20-30 per day. In 13 years, I never had 1 single claim for a theft of an OEM unit.

If you install an aftermarket unit/speakers in the manufacturer's intended location than you are covered if you have comprehensive coverage--you will just need to prove what you had installed (receipts). It will not cost you anything additional in premiums, You will have to pay your deductible though if you have a claim.

If you install speaker boxes, cd changers, are anything else not installed in manufacturer's intended location then you will need to purchase and additional waiver to cover those items. If it is not permanently installed in the vehicle it is not covered. (i.e. GPS unit suction cupped to your windshield)

Personally, I will never use anything other than OEM....but, to each his own.
I just got a 2012 Tacoma and the audio sucks (was very surprised because I thought the SR5 had decent audio). I like the OEM deck, it's decent looking enough and has MP3 through CD and I like how it gives me the song names and such.

What I would like to do though is a few things. Just curious to know if they can be done and a few other things as well.

1st - I'd like to somehow make the USB charger actually be an input to the deck so I can play tunes from my USB stick. I can't do it myself but I could have a car audio place do it, but need to know if it can be done. I don't trust some of them. I went to one place and of course, they say you can only do it if you replace the deck. Not sure if they just want to sell me a deck or if it can't really be done with the OEM deck.

Second - I don't want a sub or amp but I would like to improve the sound somewhat. If I were to replace the speakers with quality speakers would that make much of a difference with keeping the OEM deck? Again, I asked the audio dealer and yet again, back to suggesting a $400 deck. And if by chance I did want to add a small amp to help give the new speakers some kick and higher volume - would the OEM deck do that or not. I was thinking there could be a buttom below the steering wheel or something that you could push to power on the amp for louder tunes since the volume on the OEM doesn't really go that high.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
As a police officer I deal with lots of BMVs. Biggest deterent? A 2 way alarm that alerts you when someone disturbs your car. Only seen one person get broken into with this typr of alarm and when he confronted the guy he got stabbed and the perp ran off. If you get this get a gun too lol.

Second, most of the radio thiefs ARE idots who peek in windows and see a target of opportunity. They are not nearly as prepared and smart as you guys are making them out to be.

I also had someone test my alarm within the past month. They were tearing down my past complex and I was only one of about 10 prople left in it before moving to a new residence. I had someone test my bump sensor, setting off my remote, and walk away at 3:30 AM. I walked outside in my boxers with a handgun in my hand and saw a black male walking away from my truck with a hoody wearing a backpack. I had to make a decision to confront him in my skivvies or go put pants on and then find him. I put the pants on and lost him in the vacant complex when I came back out. But he did not come back.