1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Rear View Camera - Need Help

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DSwarP, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Apr 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    DSwarP

DSwarP [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    09 4.0 DCSB 4x4 TRDS Supah White
    I can't figure this thing out. I have a 2009 Tacoma with the OEM rear view camera. Truck did not come with the factory video monitor mirror.

I added a Pioneer Head unit with back up camera capabilities.

I've read all the threads about the OEM camera and what wires to use and how to make a 6v source.

There are so many discrepancies between the threads though, my head is spinning. But what I have gathered is this: Camera needs 6v. 4 wire connector is the camera.

That's all I am sure of. Where I am unsure is follows: The 6v converter thread says to use the reverse switch as my source of power for the transistor because it's a 12v source that only comes on when the truck is in reverse. Perfect. Except when I measure the voltage coming out of it, it's 6v already. Okay... I don't need the converter then right? I can just hook it up to the 12v source of the camera directly. Which one is that again? This thread tells me it's the black wire. This thread leads me to believe it's the red wire.

Also which are the connectors for the video feed? I'm so lost.

The only thing I've managed to get working properly is the reverse switch does in fact put my head unit into backup camera mode.

Help. :(

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  2. Apr 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    WhiteTacoma09

WhiteTacoma09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner access cab
    ZXE Headlights Drop in k&n filter Kobalt slim toolbox Tinted 17" FJ trail edition wheels OEM foglights 265/70/17 BFGs AVS vent visors Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD
    im currently in the same boat as you with my 09. was able to tap the rev gear cable coming out of my pioneer head unit to the rev. cable under the dash and my HU goes into reverse mode but no image. the camera in the rear tailgate is 12v and 4 cables being the following BLACK+ BLUE- RED VIDEO+ WHITE VIDEO-. they all run p to the headliner behind rearview mirror. also my head unit will never show an image unless the parking brake is on, which needs 12v.
    so i drew up a schematic and will attempt to see if all works. 20130427_223551_bb88e3776ed7253b488af7a3035ac3535c53da2d.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top