Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Amp Noise with touchscreen head unit

Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
one35i is on a distinguished road
one35i's Tacoma Gallery
Amp Noise with touchscreen head unit

Hello,
This is my first post. I just bought a 2013 TRD Sport with the touchscreen head unit. The sound sucked, so I visited my local stereo shop for upgraded speakers and amplifier. When I went to pick it up, an amazing amount of hum was audible through the speakers when the key is on and the stereo off. Rockford Fosgate amp and Hertz HSK 165 speakers. Had them swap the amp to a low noise variety, but 12 hours of labor later they told me the HU never really shuts totally off, and in order to get rid of the amp noise, I either have to swap out the HU or install a toggle switch for the amp. Has anyone else experienced this? Any leads or ideas on which direction I should go? I really would like to keep the stock head unit, as it is easy to operate and is nicely integrated with Bluetooth, phone, etc., but the hum is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Professional Window Licker
fletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
fletch97's Tacoma Gallery
Again, I go back to saying most humming noise occurs when the amp itself is not grounded properly. Although I am not 100% sure about the stock HU itself....they suck in my opinion!

I would check on the amp ground first, make sure it's grounded to real metal and that there is no paint on the ground point! If that's good, then I would look into a new HU.

Good Luck, let us know how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one35i View Post
Hello,
This is my first post. I just bought a 2013 TRD Sport with the touchscreen head unit. The sound sucked, so I visited my local stereo shop for upgraded speakers and amplifier. When I went to pick it up, an amazing amount of hum was audible through the speakers when the key is on and the stereo off. Rockford Fosgate amp and Hertz HSK 165 speakers. Had them swap the amp to a low noise variety, but 12 hours of labor later they told me the HU never really shuts totally off, and in order to get rid of the amp noise, I either have to swap out the HU or install a toggle switch for the amp. Has anyone else experienced this? Any leads or ideas on which direction I should go? I really would like to keep the stock head unit, as it is easy to operate and is nicely integrated with Bluetooth, phone, etc., but the hum is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
one35i is on a distinguished road
one35i's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the suggestion. I will do, the installer says that the stock HU never turns all the way off, it is in standby for the phone, but I still don't understand why it should hum like it is unless the ground is bad or something. Anyone out there have a similar problem when upgrading speakers and amp only? Any HU upgrade suggestions? Simple to use and integrates with the phone. Most stereos today are too damn complicated for me, that's why I like the factory one. Is the factory JBL a POS as well?