Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Using the stock XM radio antenna

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
This is where I write something clever
chris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chris
chris duby's Tacoma Gallery
Using the stock XM radio antenna

I just upgraded my head unit from the JVC-NT1 to the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH and I'm loving every minute if it. I was just wanting to know if there is any way to utilize the stock XM radio antenna that came with my truck, or do I need to get an entirely new setup like the manual of the Pioneer says? It says I need to have the Pioneer GEX-P920XM XM Satellite Tuner for it to work. Here is where I would get it http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009I...dir_mdp_mobile.

If I do have to use it, could the antenna that is already on the roof of my truck work with the Pioneer tuner?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
generally speaking, any antenna will work with any unit, pioneer is just trying to get some more of your hard earned...

unless they use a proprietary plug, you are good to go...
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
This is where I write something clever
chris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chris
chris duby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
generally speaking, any antenna will work with any unit, pioneer is just trying to get some more of your hard earned...

unless they use a proprietary plug, you are good to go...
What is a proprietary plug? And, will the stock Tacoma XM tuner "and" antenna not work with the Pioneer?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Does your head unit require this:

http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV20...sxv200v1+tuner

The new units can capture both Sirius and XM (they're one company but still have separate programming to prevent the govt from thinking of them as a monopoly). Since yours is an 09 I doubt it would work since the new unit you'd need probably isn't compatible with it. Your 09 probably only picked up either Sirius or XM, I don't know who Toyota partnered with.

I could be entirely wrong but functionally thinking that's my guess. Only one way to find out right!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
RMotta2012 is on a distinguished road
RMotta2012's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a GEX-P920XM XM....... To use the stock Shark Fin Antenna you will need this adapter cable. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
AZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to allAZM9 is a name known to all

Army:
Name: Jay
AZM9's Tacoma Gallery
The 8400 takes the SXV200V1 and no it is not compatible with the factory sat antenna. But they can mount it right in the bottom corner of your windshield and it will get perfect reception.

Products Discussed in this Thread