Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Steering Wheel Radio Control Issue

Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
OfficerObie59 is on a distinguished road
Army: MP Team Gunner, 94th MP Co.
OfficerObie59's Tacoma Gallery
Steering Wheel Radio Control Issue

Curious if anyone can help me out with this...used the search function and didn't find anything, so I apologize if it's a dupe...

I'm a new owner of a used 2011 Tacoma Double Cab. When I got it, I planned on changing out the stock stereo from the get-go. I noticed sometimes with the stock deck I'd be listening to a CD and it would change to AUX, of go from AUX to the radio. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time; only seemed to happen maybe once out of 1-2 hours of listening time.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when I finally got the aftermarket stero put in. The set up is sweet; a Kenwood DDX-740 (with amped Alpine Type R replacement speakers and a JL Stealth box...) which is hooked up to the stock steering wheel controls. Anyways, I noticed that just like before, the mode will sometimes switch mid song without touching anything--iPod will switch to Pandora, etc. After awhile, I finally shut off the remote control function from the receiver and so far I've been problem free.

The logical conclusion as I see it is that there's some kind of error with the steering wheel controls, though I'm sure I could be wrong. Curious if anyone else has had a similar issue, and if so what they're done to fix it.

Any help for this newbie is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Obie

OfficerObie59 @northeastshooters, CMP, Masscops forums
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Bump, anyone?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
The stock wheel controls do not plug into any aftermarket deck and needs a adapter/controller as Rocketball said. I'd take it back to the installer and see if the adapter is having issues.. Otherwise you might have a short in the wiring. Have you notice that it happens more often during a turn or something?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Kenwood DNX7160. XM, iPod, & Bluetooth.

If I listen to the iPod, some of the steering wheel controls stop working. Volume is fine, FWD works but I can't REV or change modes. Personally, I think it's something to do with Kenwood. It sucks because a reset is the only way to fix it.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
If your installer used a control module/adapter, and some of the steering wheel controls work some of the time, the control module may need to be reprogrammed.

I'd start off by taking it back where the install was done and see what they have to say.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Hmong Dude
kansay is on a distinguished road

Name: Kansay Vue
kansay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerObie59 View Post
Curious if anyone can help me out with this...used the search function and didn't find anything, so I apologize if it's a dupe...

I'm a new owner of a used 2011 Tacoma Double Cab. When I got it, I planned on changing out the stock stereo from the get-go. I noticed sometimes with the stock deck I'd be listening to a CD and it would change to AUX, of go from AUX to the radio. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time; only seemed to happen maybe once out of 1-2 hours of listening time.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when I finally got the aftermarket stero put in. The set up is sweet; a Kenwood DDX-740 (with amped Alpine Type R replacement speakers and a JL Stealth box...) which is hooked up to the stock steering wheel controls. Anyways, I noticed that just like before, the mode will sometimes switch mid song without touching anything--iPod will switch to Pandora, etc. After awhile, I finally shut off the remote control function from the receiver and so far I've been problem free.

The logical conclusion as I see it is that there's some kind of error with the steering wheel controls, though I'm sure I could be wrong. Curious if anyone else has had a similar issue, and if so what they're done to fix it.

Any help for this newbie is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Obie

OfficerObie59 @northeastshooters, CMP, Masscops forums
I had the same issue with a kenwood deck. After installing and programming the PAC SWI-JACK from PAC Audio, I had issue. Both the kenwood and the PAC had some issue. First it was the kenwood that is ackward on programming the pac unit to work correctly. And second then PAC wasn't really that good. Alot of people uses it but sometime when programming the unit it switches to another function or the buttons don't work at all. So I decided to trash the PAC and the kenwood and got another Sony XAV601BT Deck(which is awesome) and a SWC kit from tacotune which works out of the box without programming. It's been working ever since the replacement without issue. Try taking it back to have it reprogram if it still exist than I would go a different route of switching everything out if you can.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
mine does this too. i have a 928 Alpine with the perfict fit kit. and when i hit bumps it sometimes skips sources. pissed me off so much i ripped the module out. i thought it was the module..... guess not.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Okay, so I brought it back to the installer last month and it turns out it was the Axxess control unit. They replaced it with another brand, and I overheard the installer say he's had so many issues with the Axxess units, he'll never install another one again.

No phantom skips for three weeks running.