1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 Channel or 4 Channel

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hpeeler, May 8, 2013.

1. May 8, 2013 at 3:56 AM
    hpeeler

hpeeler [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I am planning to add a small amp and line out converter to my factory head unit. I'm only looking for a little more volume and clarity, especially with my ipod. I'm not interested in changing head units or adding a sub.
    My question is do I need a 2 channel or 4 channel amp? If I go 2 will I lose the balance or fade control? Thanks.

2. May 8, 2013 at 5:29 AM
    CrazyDiamond

CrazyDiamond Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    What could you do or what should you do?

You could accomplish this with a 2 channel amp (assuming 2 ohm stable). Run the Front and Rear Left speakers in parallel, and do the same with the Right speakers. This way, you will clearly lose the fader - which I personally wouldn't care for.

You could also run a 2-channel line coverter, and split the signal into two pairs, and use the gain on a 4-channel amp to fade the sound front to rear. This is OK - it just requires you to manually adjust the levels at the amp.

Or you could run a 4-channel line coverter (or, this could be the high-level inputs on the amp). Then, run a 4 channel amp. Once you set your gains, the 4 channels will work properly with the gain/fade controls on the head unit. This would be my choice, but I'm not paying the bill :)

I'm sure there are other solutions here as well...

3. May 8, 2013 at 5:34 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    I would go 4channel as well but if you are planning on hooking the amp up to the factory speakers they will be toast in no time.

Products Discussed in

To Top