1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH and iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by swimbikerun247, May 9, 2013.

1. May 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    swimbikerun247

swimbikerun247 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5 Doubole Cab
    I just purchased a pioneer avh-p4400bh head unit to install in a 2002 toyota tacoma. I also purchased the micro parking brake bypass to hook up with it. I have an iPhone 5 and am wondering if anybody has come up with a way to not only integrate iPhone audio but the video as well. I've read up quite a bit and if I'm understanding correctly the audio is easy and can be done several ways, but my concern is finding a way to do video such as netflix and/or gps navigation via the iphone 5. Any help? Thanks.

2. May 10, 2013 at 5:30 AM
    CrazyDiamond

CrazyDiamond Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    You may have bought the wrong head unit for your goals. Pioneer doesn't support iPhone 5 video with that head unit. You needed to get one of the new AVH-X series for that functionality. For example:

The AVH-X3500BHS: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X350BHS/Pioneer-AVH-X3500BHS.html?tp=20217#accessories-tab

The AVH-X4500BT:http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X4500BT/Pioneer-AVH-X4500BT.html?tp=20217#details-tab

Even then, the video requires an additional adapter from Pioneer. Even with this adapter, I'm not convinced the iPhones support on-screen navigation...

Here is the adapter, sold as a kit. You can get just the adapter as well: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700VGAAV/Pioneer-iPhone-5-VGA-Connection-Package.html

I have the X3500BHS linked above. It does everything but play iPhone 5 video. All of my album art and the pandora album art display just fine. All Bluetooth functions were perfectly, and my ASWC steering wheel converter works well, too.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  3. May 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    I've been eyeing the x3500bhs...have any pics of it installed?

4. May 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Yeah, audio is fine. You just connect the lightning cable to the USB on your deck. Video, however, is the problem. And you can blame Apple for this problem. No deck on the market that I'm aware of, with the exception of those Pioneers, can play video from an iPhone 5. I'm sure that will change relatively quickly though as everyone scrambles to make video happen.

If you want to wait for this adapter to come out this summer, then you can do video pretty easy. I didn't see it listed on iSimple's website yet.

I remember reading somewhere online about a guy that was able to play video on his deck using a series of adapters. He basically went from lightning to HDMI and then to composite. But I think it took him three or four adapters to accomplish it. It seemed like too much work to me just to occasionally play video in my truck so I didn't read into the details of it. I'll see if I can find it again for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top