Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sound Ordinance

Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Crashwell is on a distinguished road
Crashwell's Tacoma Gallery
Sound Ordinance

Hi folks, I have a 2013 double cab and wonder if anyone has an opinion or experience with the Sound Ordinance B-8PT powered sub woofer that Crutchfield puts out. There's a nifty location spot behind the left rear seat of my Tacoma where it would fit perfectly and I wonder how it would sound there. Thanks
Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I've never heard it but I've heard a lot of good reviews about it from other TW members.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Fits fine behind the left rear seat in a DC. Considering you're paying $150 for a sub, amp and enclosure, it's a pretty good buy. Will not hit the lowest lows, but if you tune it right it will put some thump in the bottom end.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
i bought one to put under the passenger seat. if you consider that location, it will not fit if you have the rear seat floor vents. if removed, it will fit though.

it seemed well made when i opened the box up
Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
2012SilverSport is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: NAVENG Warrant Officer
2012SilverSport's Tacoma Gallery
I have it and love it. As mentioned it is not a 12" pound your chest wake the neighbors super sub, but it does thump pretty well and definitely strengthens the bass. I installed it behind the passenger seat in the cubby and it works great.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012SilverSport View Post
I have it and love it. As mentioned it is not a 12" pound your chest wake the neighbors super sub, but it does thump pretty well and definitely strengthens the bass. I installed it behind the passenger seat in the cubby and it works great.

nice ! thats a good spot, I was debating on putting one under the seat but I like that spot aswell, dont have to worry about people kicking it. Do you get any rattle from the plastics back there ?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
2012SilverSport is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: NAVENG Warrant Officer
2012SilverSport's Tacoma Gallery
No rattle whatsoever. I was good about padding and making it solid. I ran the wiring in a manner that it doesnt have anything to vibrate against and ran it through the wire loom to keep it tight. I have 2 young girls so didnt want to mount it under the seat and take the chance of them kicking it or pulling the wiring out etc.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
LittleLady808 is on a distinguished road
LittleLady808's Tacoma Gallery
Hi guys, I was searching posts and came upon this thread. I am in search of a good space saving sub with amp and came across this sound ordinance sub from reading the forums. Now, I have some questions and I'm sure all you guys will be a lot of help. As for this sub, can it be hooked up to your speaker wires using a level output converter? And would the HU need to be removed to attach anything from this sub to it? I am trying to figure out a way that's the easiest possible way to add a little thump to my music. Thanks guys I appreciate your help.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
DPC08 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DPC08's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about what parts you need to wire it to the stock HU, but there's two decent threads on here about it. One is a review about it and the other is titled magic sub or something along those lines. Use the search and it should pop up. There's info in those threads about the install.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #10
Ok, did a lot of searching and reading and my eyes are about to fall out of my head but I didn't come across anything saying the remote wire had to connect to the back of the HU. Do all of these sub/amps hook up the same? I'm asking because I know someone who just hooked up a sub and amp in his truck using some converter kit that tapped into his speaker wires for his install without touching the HU and he put his remote wire to some kind of power wire to have it turn on with the key. Anyway, I'm sorry if this subject is a beaten dog but I needed to make sure before I ordered it. Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #11
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Not that you asked for an opinion, and maybe the '13 has a better stock system, but if I had just put a SO sub in my truck, it would have still sounded like crap. If you only have $200 to spend, I'd drop $100 for a HU and $100 for a pair of 6x9s for the front before I spent $150 on a sub. Again - maybe Toyota has gotten better but my '10 had unbelievably terrible speakers in it. Adding more bass alone would not have made my experience any more enjoyable.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:41 AM   #12

Also, yes, you can tap into the speaker wires in serial but the instructions tell you that the performance won't be as good as using a sub output. And yes, you need to run a wire from the sub to ignition power somewhere so that it turns on and off with the truck. I hooked mine up completely the first time and it didn't work - the instructions are vague on the ignition power wire but I guess it's common sense. I was an audio noob when I installed my system, so it took some trial and error.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
I got all new Kicker speakers for the front and back to be installed and just wanted to have a little more of a thump when it's all installed that's why I went with that powered sub. I didn't want to change the HU, I wanted to keep the stock look.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLady808 View Post
I got all new Kicker speakers for the front and back to be installed and just wanted to have a little more of a thump when it's all installed that's why I went with that powered sub. I didn't want to change the HU, I wanted to keep the stock look.
Cool. An amp will be absolutely required though. The HU won't power aftermarket speakers without one.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #15
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will sound good when it's all installed. I won't have a amp on the rear kickers or the front for that matter. Only thing to have an amp will be the sub so I hope this all goes well!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #16

I switched out the front speakers first in my truck - Alpine 6x9s. They had zero bass. Basically the stock HU turned them into mids. Unless Toyota has increased the internal amplification of the stock HU, aftermarket speakers alone are going to sound terrible. Again, mine is a '10 so maybe they made it more powerful with the entune update...
Old 03-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
How would I know if my stereo is an Entune? Sorry if that's a stupid question.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #18

Sorry, I don't know anything about the specs on the new trucks - I just know the HU is different, at least regarding the interface. I guess you can try it and see how it works. Let us know! Worst case is that you have to rip it apart & add an amp later.