1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amp Whine

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hpeeler, May 15, 2013.

1. May 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    hpeeler

hpeeler [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I added a 4channel amp to my factory head unit. When I turn the key 1 click it has no feedback and sounds good. When I turn it to ACC or ignition on it has a whine. It's not alternator, but a constant whine. It does it when I turn off the head unit but it will stop if I unplug both sets of RCA cables from the amp. The amp is under the passenger seat with the power wire running under the drivers seat and under the console. The RCA cables and speaker wires are run down the passenger side. I did put in a line out converter. Any help from the bank of knowledge? Thanks

Ok, I isolated where the noise is coming from. The line out converter is causing the noise but only when it is against the wiring harness running behind the head unit. When I take out the HU and lay the converter in top of it while its out it doesn't whine. I tried separating the converter from the harness with aluminum foil with no luck. Where do I go from here?

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. May 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Hey, from what i've read here it could be either bad rca cables, or a bad ground. Just finished my set up with my factory head unit and also have feedback/hiss when the radio is set to zero or off, i've switched out the rcas but no luck and people have pointed out that i need to get a better ground which might fix the problem.

Do you have pictures of your set up? that could help alot for suggestions.

3. May 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    550kawirider

550kawirider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryceson
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SR5 4X4 - Mag Grey
    Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, 2 10'' Image Dynamics IQD.V4, JCV 2DIN, Axxcess Steering Wheel Controller, MB Quart ONXY Component speakers, OME 855 Coils, 5100's Front/Rear, 1/4 Taco Lean spacer Firestone Ride Rite Air bags, GloShift Dual Digital Air Guage/Needle Gauge, LotTek A Pillar Dual Gauge Pod, Powder Coated TRD Sport Rims, Coverking Seat Covers, Custom Interior Lighting, Custom TRD Sport Decals, Tint, In cab power outlet, Fog anytime mod, Backup camera anytime mod, Blue Sea Systems 6 bank fuse block w/ thermal switch, Viper 5901 Security/Remote Start, LED Bed Lights, Blacked out Badges, In-cab air bag controller, 265/70/17 Duratracs, Viair On-board Air System, Grover Semi truck air horn, Rhino Rack over bed rack system
    I just installed a 4-channel amp for my mids and highs and had a whine with the ACC and ignition on. It drove me nutz. I originally though it was the RCA's and purchased high quality Kicker ones but it wasn't it If you have another set of RCA's, plug them in without tucking the wires away (head unit to the amp) and see if the whine is still there. I had ran the RCA's under the glove compartment, down the passenger door sill's to the amp and they were picking up some interference some where. I ended up running the RCA's down the center, under the center console. Ground points are important as well. Do you have a second amp in your system?

4. May 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    550kawirider

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryceson
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, 2 10'' Image Dynamics IQD.V4, JCV 2DIN, Axxcess Steering Wheel Controller, MB Quart ONXY Component speakers, OME 855 Coils, 5100's Front/Rear, 1/4 Taco Lean spacer Firestone Ride Rite Air bags, GloShift Dual Digital Air Guage/Needle Gauge, LotTek A Pillar Dual Gauge Pod, Powder Coated TRD Sport Rims, Coverking Seat Covers, Custom Interior Lighting, Custom TRD Sport Decals, Tint, In cab power outlet, Fog anytime mod, Backup camera anytime mod, Blue Sea Systems 6 bank fuse block w/ thermal switch, Viper 5901 Security/Remote Start, LED Bed Lights, Blacked out Badges, In-cab air bag controller, 265/70/17 Duratracs, Viair On-board Air System, Grover Semi truck air horn, Rhino Rack over bed rack system
    Sounds like your gain levels are a bit high.

5. May 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Whine typically comes from a bad ground. I've seen RCA's from a dollar store whine, but anything decent won't cause this normally.

As for the hiss, gain levels are too high.

Make sure your ground follows these rules:
    1. Same size wire as the power cable
    2. The grounding spot is good solid metal (not sheet metal). Seat belt mounts are good.
    3. There is no paint on the terminal, screw/bolt, and metal spot on the truck.

6. May 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    ^^

1) make sure the ground is super-beef

2) Make sure all stock vehicle ground straps are intact and no corrosion

3) make sure cables are beef (don't spend ungodly money, but don't
    get the cheap chinese crap that usually comes with aftermarket units)

7. May 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    hpeeler

hpeeler [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Updated original post

8. May 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    550kawirider

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryceson
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    I would extend the output wires and move it. You could also move it to a place where you can access it a lot easier to make adjustments.

Products Discussed in

To Top