Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Amp Whine

Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
hpeeler is on a distinguished road
hpeeler's Tacoma Gallery
Amp Whine - UPDATED

I added a 4channel amp to my factory head unit. When I turn the key 1 click it has no feedback and sounds good. When I turn it to ACC or ignition on it has a whine. It's not alternator, but a constant whine. It does it when I turn off the head unit but it will stop if I unplug both sets of RCA cables from the amp. The amp is under the passenger seat with the power wire running under the drivers seat and under the console. The RCA cables and speaker wires are run down the passenger side. I did put in a line out converter. Any help from the bank of knowledge? Thanks

Ok, I isolated where the noise is coming from. The line out converter is causing the noise but only when it is against the wiring harness running behind the head unit. When I take out the HU and lay the converter in top of it while its out it doesn't whine. I tried separating the converter from the harness with aluminum foil with no luck. Where do I go from here?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
chrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant futurechrispy has a brilliant future
chrispy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, from what i've read here it could be either bad rca cables, or a bad ground. Just finished my set up with my factory head unit and also have feedback/hiss when the radio is set to zero or off, i've switched out the rcas but no luck and people have pointed out that i need to get a better ground which might fix the problem.

Do you have pictures of your set up? that could help alot for suggestions.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
550kawirider is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryceson
550kawirider's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a 4-channel amp for my mids and highs and had a whine with the ACC and ignition on. It drove me nutz. I originally though it was the RCA's and purchased high quality Kicker ones but it wasn't it If you have another set of RCA's, plug them in without tucking the wires away (head unit to the amp) and see if the whine is still there. I had ran the RCA's under the glove compartment, down the passenger door sill's to the amp and they were picking up some interference some where. I ended up running the RCA's down the center, under the center console. Ground points are important as well. Do you have a second amp in your system?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
550kawirider is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryceson
550kawirider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Hey, from what i've read here it could be either bad rca cables, or a bad ground. Just finished my set up with my factory head unit and also have feedback/hiss when the radio is set to zero or off, i've switched out the rcas but no luck and people have pointed out that i need to get a better ground which might fix the problem.

Do you have pictures of your set up? that could help alot for suggestions.
Sounds like your gain levels are a bit high.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Whine typically comes from a bad ground. I've seen RCA's from a dollar store whine, but anything decent won't cause this normally.

As for the hiss, gain levels are too high.

Make sure your ground follows these rules:
1. Same size wire as the power cable
2. The grounding spot is good solid metal (not sheet metal). Seat belt mounts are good.
3. There is no paint on the terminal, screw/bolt, and metal spot on the truck.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
^^

1) make sure the ground is super-beef

2) Make sure all stock vehicle ground straps are intact and no corrosion

3) make sure cables are beef (don't spend ungodly money, but don't
get the cheap chinese crap that usually comes with aftermarket units)
Old 05-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
hpeeler is on a distinguished road
hpeeler's Tacoma Gallery
Updated original post