1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AVIC F90BT installed

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by craigFLA, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Feb 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    craigFLA

craigFLA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    DSC01825_7f7744bc3b5f120ab1fc03d910f65fc2b09afa21.jpg

DSC01826_2975f3e05dab92ff16b78cdda105958219155032.jpg

DSC01827_715f590166360de7fae7a1b7de53a5dab81aca07.jpg

I didnt take pictures during the install, as it took me all day by the time I got everything wired, soldered, etc.

I installed the mic in the over head console. Its temp'ed right now, as I wanted to try it out to see how far it had to stick down (or out of the console) before I secured it properly. The blue tooth works great with it "flushed up" which is a very clean look. I will pull the console next weekend and secure the mic 100%.

The GPS antenna fit VERY NICELY behind the DS A-pillar as many others have done. My GPS reception is awesome, and the Pioneer GPS antenna was so small it fit perfectly between the grooves on the backside of the A-pillar grab handle (if youve ever had the A-pillar off, youll understand). No cutting, notching, or anything was required for the GPS antenna install = VERY easy and clean.

My truck is an X-SP, and came from the Port with the Carbon Fiber trim accents. While they look nicer to me then the silver, its a PITA to make interior mods etc... I originally sent my Scosche double din kit to some guy in Cali (would have to find the paperwork to remember where), and he "dipped" the whole piece in CF = what you see in pics.

I later found (after much research) that Superior Dash out of Daytona Beach manufacturers the CF overlays for SE Toyota. Once I relocate my Hazard switch & clock to the lower console, and install my Audio COntrol three.1 in the dash, THEN I can send my dash kit to them and they will custom make the piece so it is 100% factory match. Right now, if you look at the last pic, you can clearly see the 1/8" +/- difference between the rest of the dash trim (with the CF overlay) and the scosche kit currently without it...:(

I did the hardware bypass, and tested it last night watching Indiana Jones while driving in circles around the neighborhood :) Also, the IPOD is in the glove box = out of site, out of mind.

Once I get my sound deadening done, I can install the rest of my system, and REALLY turn some heads!!!

2. Feb 22, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    Pics of the mic (temp'ed for now) I'll clean it up next weekend.

DSC01830_4911bd7438c0a837a1d9dc96618db5456817111c.jpg

DSC01832_07de017cca7a8fc9ca56b8438a96ad2b15473e9f.jpg

3. Feb 22, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Neato... I like the CF look in your truck... :thumbsup:

4. Feb 22, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    And for those who have one of these Pioneer F series units and cant stand the narrow little volume knob, heres a link... http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21115

I ordered a knurled black knob last night.

www.avic411.com is the place to be if you have a AVIC unit!!! check it out if you havent already!

knurled_knobs_copy_866_d940a647a66c7fbad18fa08174505bbdd2389225.jpg

5. Feb 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
  6. Mar 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    bj462taco

bj462taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Alberta canada
    Custom tube bumper and sliders, ultimate 3' lift,
    hey were you able to still use the aux imput jack in the cab with the head unit ... oh oh and what about the steering wheel control with the head unit. Can you also show where you mounted the gps antenna. It looks slick and i need one as well. And do you have a link for the update softwere for watching while driving.

7. Mar 23, 2009 at 3:47 AM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:

Im not sure what you mean my aux jack? I ran the IPOD/USB cables to the glove box (removed the the glove box to cleanly run the cable). My IPOD sits hidden in the glove box.

I dont have steering wheel controls, so I havent researched to know how/if they work.

I made sure to by a newer unit with the 2.0 software update. The 2.0 update corrected many of the problems/bugs experienced with the first models. There is a wiring bypass HARDWARE BYPASS that allows you to operate the unit/watch DVD's while driving. Its very very simple, and can be found at www.avic411.com. If your considering 1 of these units, I HIGHLY recommend you spend some time on this site, as there is so much info...

There is a way to do it with the software as well, but I chose the wiring method as its easy, proven.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

8. Mar 23, 2009 at 4:17 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler

avic411 is the shit. im a new member there. also check out crutchfield they have an adapter to use your steering wheel controls.
    here is my 700bt
    [​IMG]

9. Mar 23, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    stang88

stang88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i mounted the gps antenna up under the dash. i wedged it between a air duct and the dash so it wouldnt more. works perfect.

10. Mar 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    tablesalt

tablesalt Tacoma Lover

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner, Double Cab TRD V6
    Good ole' Stock. Black.
    Man, that sure does look nice.

tablesalt

11. Mar 23, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    I installed the GPS antenna underneath the drivers side A-pillar. Carefully remove the little tabs at the grab handle, remove the 2 bolts, and remove the pillar. Right between where the bolts go through into the steel cab, the gap is perfect, and the antenna fits like it belongs. easy to hide the wiring, and reception is perfect. Nothing better then a completely stealth install!!

12. Mar 24, 2009 at 4:55 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    heres some backgrounds for your avic

13. Mar 24, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:

NICE!!!! I havent had the opportunity yet to start tweaking the software, splash screen, icons, etc. yet, but I like these both a lot.

Products Discussed in

To Top