LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Radio Information and Installation

Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #21
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up! I subbed this for future reference.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #23
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1man001 View Post
Nice writeup. I have a quick question. What type of antenna cable do you run? I know there are different types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Yes, there are, and I run RG8X coax. This is high quality cable and not that much more expensive. The connectors are all a standard PL-259.

Also, there is a general rule of thumb to use either 9' or 18' in length. I would recommend 18' since it seems to be better at resisting interference. And if you end up with more coax then you needed, don't wrap it in a coil/circle to store it, that can actually cause interference.

I used RG mini 8 coax for the power cable since I had some extra and it is very well shielded. I do not need a noise filter with this setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Nice write up OP. Although I wouldn't recommend mini 8 for anything, it's about as cheap as you can get. Especially if you are pushing any kind of power as it can cause all kinds of issues. Also, the coax does not need to be in any particular length. The ideal length is just enough to get the job done.
Quote:
You're right, I updated my antenna wiring section. I actually ran RG8X for the antenna.

Mini 8 is fine for power, the gauge of wire is way larger than what's needed for the power and the shielding is what I was after.

In regards to length, I read in some technical manual by Firestik that they did a lot of testing with cable lengths and found that 18' was the ideal maximum for vehicle applications due to mounting locations and such. Though I am not technical enough to understand how they came to that conclusion, but I understand it has something to do with the wavelength at 18'.
Ok now I am confused. So what is the better cable for the antenna
Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #24
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Not a bad write up, although there are a few holes in it.

Questions about Coax: Best by far 400max http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-400max

Space concern and a good performer: rg8x http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-8x

I use 400 max for HF and CB, while VHF and UHF rg8x, I also only run 7 feet(HF/CB) of with no SWR issues ( I am not using off the self antennas)

Firestick did that write up because of inefficiencies in there antennas and attempting to catch a null in the wave in order to gain favorable SWR.

Likewise Coax selection for mobile use and noise is very difficult to say will make a difference as you are not Earth ground nor are most CB's on the market filtered to compensate for Vehicle devices.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #25
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Ok now I am confused. So what is the better cable for the antenna
Mini-8 is fine for most mobile set-ups as long as there is no extra power involved. Once you add power it is inferior and must be upgraded. The problem with mini-8 is it really isn't regulated so there is some really low quality stuff out there. Don't skimp on the antenna and the coax and you will be fine.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #27
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mini-8 is fine for most mobile set-ups as long as there is no extra power involved. Once you add power it is inferior and must be upgraded. The problem with mini-8 is it really isn't regulated so there is some really low quality stuff out there. Don't skimp on the antenna and the coax and you will be fine.
^ He's got it.

I had actually used RG8X for the antenna and power.

RG8X is not much more expensive and is good quality. For a usual CB application, RG8X is fine. I updated that section in the write-up.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #28
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Wildcat View Post
Hey Chris,
Thanks for all the info!
Quick question, where did you attach the ground on the atenna?
I grounded it to a screw below the tail light. It's hard to see the bolt I used in the picture (Section 7), but it's the red wire coming out of the tail light and anchored to the bolt on the left side of the picture.

Where ever you decide, make sure it is grounded to the frame for the best ground.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #29
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
^ He's got it.

I had actually used RG8X for the antenna, and mini 8 for power.

RG8X is not much more expensive than mini 8 and is better quality. I updated that section in the write-up.
RG8X is Mini-8. RG8U is a better coax. There are a shit ton of different types just depends on how involved you want to get and how well you want your set-up to perform.

This calculator has a ton of good info on coax....

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl
Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #30

Quote:
RG8X is Mini-8. RG8U is a better coax. There are a shit ton of different types just depends on how involved you want to get and how well you want your set-up to perform.

This calculator has a ton of good info on coax....

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl
Oh, I didn't realize they were one in the same. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
Ancient or so i'm told
64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denis
64Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I grounded it to a screw below the tail light. It's hard to see the bolt I used in the picture (Section 7), but it's the red wire coming out of the tail light and anchored to the bolt on the left side of the picture.

Where ever you decide, make sure it is grounded to the frame for the best ground.
Thanks Chris, i'm going to ground to the frame,i just wasn't sure where the antenna itself was grounded.
This is the mount i made.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #32
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
sorry for the noob question but i have a 3 ft tuneable firestik II and i have no clue how to ground the antenna??? how do you just ground the antenna and not the mount? it will be mounted on one of relentless fabs hood cb mounts.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Thanks Chris, i'm going to ground to the frame,i just wasn't sure where the antenna itself was grounded.
This is the mount i made.
Very nice.

What kind of antenna do you have? It may not be grounded the same as mine. I used a Wilson 4' flex.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #34
Ancient or so i'm told
64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denis
64Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
3' Firestik
Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
sorry for the noob question but i have a 3 ft tuneable firestik II and i have no clue how to ground the antenna??? how do you just ground the antenna and not the mount? it will be mounted on one of relentless fabs hood cb mounts.
Quote:
3' Firestik
You guys may have the No Ground Plane (NGP) antennas. These do not require grounding. Try looking up your exact model and see if it says No Ground Plane or NGP. I think the Firestik II is not a NGP though.

If it's not an NGP antenna, then you will need to make sure the mount itself is grounded. You can run a wire from the mount to a location on your truck that connects to the frame (or directly to the frame). Just make sure whatever you attach to, it's not painted. You can use a continuity tester to determine if your grounded or not. Or look at your SWR reading, it will be way over 2.

Something like this:
Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
so if i just put the mount from relentless on wouldnt the mount already be grounded? i mean since it uses the bolts that hold your hood on to mount it? or am i wrong?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #38
Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
I have a 3' NGP Firestik mounted in the front drivers corner of my bed. I am getting High SWR, any suggestions?
Yeah, ditch the NGP Firestik. I had one and it was crap, could never get my SWR down low enough.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #39
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, ditch the NGP Firestik. I had one and it was crap, could never get my SWR down low enough.
Yea, I see the roof mount in your sig. I'm not going there.

I'm curious if a GP antenna in the same location would be any better.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #40
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
ok so i looked up the part number on my antenna and it is a firestik II with a part number of FS3-b.... so im guessing its not an NGP antenna then???