Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Radio Information and Installation

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
so if i just put the mount from relentless on wouldnt the mount already be grounded? i mean since it uses the bolts that hold your hood on to mount it? or am i wrong?
Possibly, but test it to make sure. You don't want to run a radio with high SWR for long. If your mount is grounded, the antenna is probably grounded. But if the mount is painted, it may not be well grounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
I have a 3' NGP Firestik mounted in the front drivers corner of my bed. I am getting High SWR, any suggestions?
Yeah NGP antennas are hard to get low SWR readings on. If your using a standard coax instead of NGP specific, you could also be having performance issues from that.

There are some nice NGP kits out there, but they are usually for boats and come as a complete NGP specific kit. No NGP kit will perform as well as a grounded one.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
ok so i looked up the part number on my antenna and it is a firestik II with a part number of FS3-b.... so im guessing its not an NGP antenna then???
Correct, that is NOT a NGP antenna. You will need to confirm that the mount is grounded. If it's not, just run a ground wire from it to a ground point on the truck.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #43
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Where the hell was this thread 3 weeks ago! lol Mine works great now, but I had to look hard for the right information. Great write up OP!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #44
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Possibly, but test it to make sure. You don't want to run a radio with high SWR for long. If your mount is grounded, the antenna is probably grounded. But if the mount is painted, it may not be well grounded.

Yeah NGP antennas are hard to get low SWR readings on. If your using a standard coax instead of NGP specific, you could also be having performance issues from that.

There are some nice NGP kits out there, but they are usually for boats and come as a complete NGP specific kit. No NGP kit will perform as well as a grounded one.
I have the one I linked, It's the Antenna, bracket, cable kit. I like the location and would rather not change it..

Here's the 3 sets of readings I took while adjusting it.
Ch1. 3 / 2.3 / 3
Ch19. 1.4 / 1.3 / 1.4
Ch40. 2.7 / 3 / 3
Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #45
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
hmm. ok. thanks, i'll keep that in mind. im probably gonna tape off the area where it mounts to the hood and then put a piece of tape around the antenna hole before i paint it. hopefully that will help me catch a ground.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
I have the one I linked, It's the Antenna, bracket, cable kit. I like the location and would rather not change it..

Here's the 3 sets of readings I took while adjusting it.
Ch1. 3 / 2.3 / 3
Ch19. 1.4 / 1.3 / 1.4
Ch40. 2.7 / 3 / 3
Troubleshooting an NGP antenna is not my strong point, but I would try to move it around and see it the SWR improves. You could be reflecting back from a surface. Check these links and see if you find something useful:

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/ngp-critical.htm

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/NGP_Install.htm (check the "Tuning" section)
Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #47
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Nice effort and very good overall, but there's misleading info and several inaccuracies in sections 3 & 7. To get a better understanding of how a CB antenna actually works, and why both a ground and a ground plane (placement of the antenna on a large flat metal surface) are important, I suggest your readers pick up a good CB book (from eBay or wherever) or view some of the ham radio sites describing/discussing vertical dipole antennas in mobile applications - exactly what a CB antenna is.

In fact, if you keep an eye on eBay, you can even occasionally find older military training manuals discussing radio fundamentals, including mobile vertical dipole antennas similar to a CB antenna.

The CB books are often written for beginners, so are usually the easiest to read and understand. They're also written directly for CB, while you can only use the general theory from the other sources mentioned, which will have to be converted to CB, since they're discussing other radio services, other frequencies, and similar.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #49
Deathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Deathproofduck's Tacoma Gallery
It looks sorta like learning Photoshop. I got some good general knowledge from this thread. If i wanted, i could take up this new hobby, devote all my time, buy some books and study, and blow tons of money...for?...A CB?. Good thread OP, i have the time and money just not the patience to follow through on 90% of what was posted after you.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Nice effort and very good overall, but there's misleading info and several inaccuracies in sections 3 & 7. To get a better understanding of how a CB antenna actually works, and why both a ground and a ground plane (placement of the antenna on a large flat metal surface) are important, I suggest your readers pick up a good CB book (from eBay or wherever) or view some of the ham radio sites describing/discussing vertical dipole antennas in mobile applications - exactly what a CB antenna is.

In fact, if you keep an eye on eBay, you can even occasionally find older military training manuals discussing radio fundamentals, including mobile vertical dipole antennas similar to a CB antenna.

The CB books are often written for beginners, so are usually the easiest to read and understand. They're also written directly for CB, while you can only use the general theory from the other sources mentioned, which will have to be converted to CB, since they're discussing other radio services, other frequencies, and similar.
Right, but this isn't written for a target audience of amateur radio guys. It's for the general CB user who doesn't want to spend a bunch of time looking up all these different threads. This was written as a simple set of the experiences I have taken from others on the site and compiled here.

If you want to go argue your heads off about what antenna is going to let you bounce off the ionosphere better, feel free to start another thread about it.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #51
Deathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Deathproofduck's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Right, but this isn't written for a target audience of amateur radio guys. It's for the general CB user who doesn't want to spend a bunch of time looking up all these different threads. This was written as a simple set of the experiences I have taken from others on the site and compiled here.

If you want to go argue your heads off about what antenna is going to let you bounce off the ionosphere better, feel free to start another thread about it.
Exactly. I subbed this for a reason. I don't care for all the tit for tat bs about a better plane for the CB. If they truly loved CB's they would buy my Duck's (shameless plug) because they would recognize it from "CONVOY"!!!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #52
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Once again, "there's misleading info and several inaccuracies in sections 3 & 7." If you don't care about that, fine. My advice was (and is) intended for those who do. Have a nice day.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #53

Nothing is misleading, I just didn't go into detail about placement because everyone has a different truck setup. And mounting on the roof is not practical for everyone.

Try contributing to the information instead of just a blank statement of "it's wrong".
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #54
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nothing is misleading, I just didn't go into detail about placement because everyone has a different truck setup. And mounting on the roof is not practical for everyone.

Try contributing to the information instead of just a blank statement of "it's wrong".
Well OP all i have to say about this entire thread (minus a couple of post that IMO should never have been posted) is that it is fantastic for someone wanting to know the basics to get up and running. Sure, like others have stated, if you want to go all obsessive over cb stuff then this may not be the thread for you, but heck if you are like most of us that have posted in here and just want some basics to understand what we need to do and how to do it to make our cb's preform properly its perfect! so I say good job and thank you!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #55

Quote:

Oh, you've made it very clear throughout that you don't want conflicting viewpoints. So, to avoid an argument (as had happened in other similar threads), I recommended more independent, more authoritarian, sources of information instead. If anyone likes, they can argue with those instead.

Anyway, I've said enough - except to again say your information is very good overall. I'm not here to nitpick and there's very little to nitpick about. However, antenna placement on a vehicle is important. The ground plane that provides is effectively one-half of the antenna. The antenna will work without, but substantially better with.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #56
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well OP all i have to say about this entire thread (minus a couple of post that IMO should never have been posted) is that it is fantastic for someone wanting to know the basics to get up and running. Sure, like others have stated, if you want to go all obsessive over cb stuff then this may not be the thread for you, but heck if you are like most of us that have posted in here and just want some basics to understand what we need to do and how to do it to make our cb's preform properly its perfect! so I say good job and thank you!
But good thing this information has been regurgitated over and over again in this forum.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Lotsa good info in here Frogsauce. Thanks for putting it together!

I did a comprehensive write-up for my CB install, which may be useful to some people as well: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tall-pics.html
Cool, nice install. Threw a link to it in mine also.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #59
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. +1 for taking the time to do it.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #60
Thorny is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Dean
Thorny's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up - thanks for the information.

Products Discussed in this Thread